Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dumb flathead question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, Sep 16, 2017.

1. metalman

metalman

Hey, buddy just called, wants to give me a late flathead. Said he started pulling it apart, pistons are real stuck in the bores, he says the block is junk (rusted and all ready .120 over) and he's giving up trying to get it apart. I asked if he has any pistons all the way to the top so he could measure down to the lowest one. Lowest is 3.853 down, highest is .316 down according to him. Am I correct to think the pistons come up pretty much flush with the deck on the later flatheads like the early ones?
    I don't need another flat motor but sounds like to me this probably has a 4" crank. If it does I'll go ahead and take it and go thru the hassle of taking it the rest of the way apart just for the crank if nothing else. He says it has adjustable lifters as well so maybe they are savable as well.
    Regardless, guess I'll either do that or find someone who wants it, he said if I don't take it it's going to the metal scrappers. Might end up all it's worth but no one will know till it's the rest of the way apart, right? Geez, I hate calls like this.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I wouldn't bother with it. But of course, I don't have a need for 4" crank IF it's in there.

3. JimSibley

JimSibley

.120 over, adjustable lifters and a 4 inch crank. Sounds like it was quite the motor. If it's free, and you have real or for it, take it.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When the only cost is time why not? Especially when there is no rush to take it apart. I'd (meaning me personally) consider paying for strapping it to a pallet and paying the shipping just for the cam and lifters if the lifters looked good.

5. Take off the pan and torch through all the rods. You can then take out the crank and not feel bad about scrapping the remainder.

6. metalman

metalman

Agreed, although it had stock heads and 2 barrel intake on it. Of course I took a "stocker" apart recently a customer bought from a budget rebuilder (exchange motor) for his 51 truck years ago and found the same thing, adjustable lifters and a 4"crank. No telling on these old flatheads.
    Still looking to verify my thoughts, if any piston is more then 3.75 down the bore it's a 4" crank, right?

7. 4.00 > 3.383 > 3.75 It must be a 4"

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With usable Merc cranks going for around $400 (at least around here), I'd be on that like a rat on a Cheetoh! Most flat head blocks can go 3/16" over, so the block may not be a total loss either.

9. cs39ford

cs39ford

IMG_2849.JPG You can get some junk speed stuff and do this. A door stop