Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects CONVERTING A 1933 FORD FOUR DOOR SEDAN INTO A 5 WINDOW

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by H-O-O-V-E-R, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Wow, what a fantastic show of skill! thanks for sharing.

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  2. rpm56

rpm56

Real nice work!

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  3. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job!

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

Looks great, I'm subscribed! I have a '34 4 door and a collection of pieces to build the exact same thing.

Are you willing to sell what's left of those coupe quarters? Because I'd be very interested in those. Not sure where you're located but the leftovers could be cut into smaller pieces if it needs to be shipped. It would further my project a bunch. Thanks either way!

5. Very interesting project, and great skill on display.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  6. Pete

Pete

Great project, love the detailed pics too.

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

ditto on the pix... I like the clecos holding the door gap and beltline alignment... good stuff.

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  8. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Outstanding work.

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  9. oldfordtin

oldfordtin

Amazing great work

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  10. H-O-O-V-E-R

H-O-O-V-E-R
    from Utah

image.jpeg
    Alright! Back at it! Cut the b pillars! image.jpeg
    Taped off and cut 1 inch out of the window, only on the hinge side does this need to be done. I actually ended up cutting the whole top of the Window off because I am going to chop it and it will just get in the way.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Measured the b pillars and taped them off as level as I could. Did this the same to the donor 5 window piece as well. Measuring both off of the belt line should give me an acurate spot to cut.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I welded this piece above the trunk in before we found the 5 window donor. Had to cut it back out. Will end up needing to weld some back in if the 5 window doesn't meet up perfectly.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    This is just loosely payed on top. Will cut and fit more and more to get it into its position as much as possible.

image.jpeg
    This side is gonna take some work and rebuilding.

image.jpeg

Thanks for all of the kind words and support!!!

11. H-O-O-V-E-R

H-O-O-V-E-R
    from Utah

Thank you! Sorry, I told the guy we bought it from as part of the deal we would give him the leftovers. Would love to see the 5 window you are building!

kidcampbell71 and Squablow like this.
  12. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Great work! Lots of hours for sure. I am working on a 5W as well and feel the struggle. Subscribed.

Attached Files:

13. H-O-O-V-E-R

H-O-O-V-E-R
    from Utah

we both have a long way to go! You have some skills man, next thing you know you will be driving it down to the beach with your surfboard! Keep it up brother!

kidcampbell71 and j-jock like this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

Fair enough, thanks for letting me know.

This is the '33 I have stuck together, didn't have much for quarters on this one so it's pretty rough but I did what I could with what I had, now I have a nicer '34 to start with so this one is getting sold off and I'll do the '34, same thing, starting with a 4 door sedan. I look forward to seeing yours come together, it's already looking good! I'm jealous of that roof section!

20170914_131833.jpg
    20170914_131937.jpg
    This is what I started with. It does have doors, just not on there when these pics were taken. I saved the floor out of this '33 to use in my '34, it was surprisingly decent!

IMG_4461.JPG

15. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Tramps like us ...baby we were born to run! Nice work,....good taste in tunes

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  16. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Actually I finished that car and am working on another that was not so bad. The black car is the finished product.

It is an inspiration the work you are doing. I had often thought about doing that, but never came up with the pieces to pull it off. (32 4door to coupe)

Attached Files:

17. H-O-O-V-E-R

H-O-O-V-E-R
    from Utah

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Will score the 5 window donor once it gets fitting perfectly then slide it into place to weld it.

image.jpeg
    Sanded down the b pillars until the gaps were perfect. Was able to get the passenger side done. I am pretty pleased with how it's fitting.

image.jpeg

You can see the 5 window quarter window section laying over the top of the quarters.

Attached Files:

18. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I can imagine it would be a challenge to get the doors to shut correctly. How have you dealt with that?

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  19. Bugguts

Bugguts

I am loving the whole process and the pictures are great! Subscribed.

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  20. H-O-O-V-E-R

H-O-O-V-E-R
    from Utah

I have had the doors on and off and they are shutting great. That is with the top of the window cut off. I imagine it will get trickier the tops on. The new section I am grating in will definitely need to be fitted and in the right place before its welded. As of right now it sits really close. But with the door on it give me a perfect reference where the top part of the b pillar needs to sit before its final weld.

21. Fantastic this is awesome I love to see metal fab Hobo Jim

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  22. flamingokid

flamingokid

Simply impressed and subscribed.

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  23. H-O-O-V-E-R

H-O-O-V-E-R
    from Utah

image.jpeg
    Was able to fit the drivers side today. I am getting excited because it's actually starting to look like a five window!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    The critical part is to get H the outer skin to match perfectly, you can see here that the b pillars outer edge is looking off. I will cut the lower half an pull it in to match perfectly.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    Wanted to show a close up of the roof section. Decided that I will just take previous pieces that were cut off and graft them back in to patch where I need to. The two roofs were hitting eachother and not allowing the quarter windows to sit properly.

image.jpeg
    I also found out that the front half cutout of the roof is not the same shape as the five window. Will have to be cut and spliced to match perfectly.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

24. Squablow

Squablow

Do you happen to have that upper lip from the new roadster quarters that you had to cut off to fit them to the coupe body? I could use those pieces if they're intact yet.

I also look forward to seeing how you get the roof sections together. That was a sticking point on my '33 that still needs to be addressed.

H-O-O-V-E-R and ls1yj like this.
  25. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

If you already know the 4 dr. upper door section is higher toward the rear then it stands to reason that the fordor roof angles "up" from the A pillars so in reality there needs to be a pie cut done at the top corner of the A pillar (which will probably look funny) it will also have to be pie cut to pinch it "in" since the 4 door rear roof is much wider at the back than the coupe.... unless you gave those front coupe roof pieces back why mess with the fordor stuff at all?

Outback and kustomkatt like this.
  26. Squablow

Squablow

It's not the B pillar height that was the issue for me as much as the width seemed to change abruptly (like if you were standing in front of or behind it, the joint at the roof would be bulged out to the side, not just the top from the B pillar height).

Another HAMBer bought my '33 and took it home this weekend but I've got another '34 to do and I'm still curious to see how this comes together.

Outback, ls1yj and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  27. Great detailed build thread, quality work too.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Can you PM me about the panel I see in the background?

H-O-O-V-E-R likes this.
  29. What a bitchin thread! Kill work!
    I will be doung the same thing pretty soon here, just found a bunch of parts that will help in our build!
    Watching and learning here for sure!

-Shiny

Outback and H-O-O-V-E-R like this.
  30. Fantastic thread! You guys are metal magicians.
    Bob