Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I literally laughed out loud to this.
    I'm in the middle of building two sheds. One for the lawn and yard crap, a little parts storage. Another big, insulated, electricified, drywalled, and heated for my wife. A art studio, she calls it a she shed.
    Also overhauling my molasses box to soak my pickup cab and bed parts I'm about to cut apart.
    I got some nos grey 35 inner door handles for the Tudor I'm attempting to diy nickel plate. They were cheap and I've had no luck with finding original 33/34s. Some parts can wait till another day you know? Also got a fuel pressure gauge from the classifieds to match my gauges in lieu of the flathead needing a blower. I have made a long list of queries to ask another small list of not so local machine shops in regards to their abilities to do satisfactory work on my engine or engines.
    So yeah it should be done before September gets here.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Meet ya at the hot rod hill climb in CO?
    It is only 26 hours straight driving for me.

Might mean I don't chop my truck though.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I friggin swear I'll be there next year if we're all still here. I am going to hit it hard as soon as I can. I really want some paint on it before snow fall.
    And yes it's still getting the body tweaked a little more, I've waited this long already might as well get it right.

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Really wanted to get this book by "Too Tall" tonight but...
    [​IMG]
    Settled on this one.
    I figured with the end of the year coming so fast and everyone all ready at the Hill Climb I better get my focus on my engine.
    Don't worry Mark I've messed with the grill stuff a little, we'll have our day soon enough.

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

So that means you will be at the hillclimb in 2018?
    It equals three eight hour days of driving for me, and I am useing it as my goal!

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah I think it's my new deadline. I talked about it with the wife at dinner tonight. We will have to get one of the grandmas to visit for a few days to help get the turds to school and whatnot.
    I'd love to drive the car all the way there. But if it were to break on the way it would really bum me out. I don't think I could afford any wasted days to the roadside away from home. So I have to figure out how I might trailer it there. I'm pretty excited to take it on the reliability run. The plan is to rip that hill up though. Better get that elevation jetting figured out asap.

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

At my current rate of progress I might just make it. It sure would be an epic trip. I am not sure my wife is crazy enough to jump in an untested truck and drive for three days straight. I might have to go solo.
    Tool box, Visa card, coffee, and St Christopher have my back. I have done crazier shit, just not in a long time.

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah I hope one of these two guys keeps me safe
    [​IMG]
    Here's the new pressure gauge
    [​IMG]
    Thanks @johnny boracho

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

10. Wyatt, Just returned home from the Hill Climb. I was so jacked up about getting to run the hill this year in my deuce coupe I could not sleep. Drove it all the way out and pulled into the hotel parking garage and lost the hyd. clutch on it. Spent all weekend rounding up parts to make the repairs & patching thinks together enough to make it back home. No hill climb for me this year, but still had fun. The Deluxe speed shop party was out of this world. So dam many kick ass hot rods you would have loved it.
    So now I am going to replace a lot of parts and make plans for the dirt drags & hill climb next year.

11. OR, just one full day of driving... ;) :D

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

You still building sheds or what?

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yes and no.
    No because winter is here and yes because I didn’t get finished.

loudbang likes this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Does that mean you are back to playing in the shop?

loudbang likes this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Right after I responded to your old post I begun a long winded partial update. I had it about 3/4 finished. I set my phone down to intervene in a kid fight and when I got back to my phone my typings were gone cause the page resets or some crap. I don’t know if it’s my phone or the app. Maybe from when I’m getting alerts while my phone is at idle. I leave the app open 24/7 and I usually leave it in my subscribed column. A lot of the time when switch to the HAMB over from say news or google searching. The app sort of resets and puts me on the trending column even when I was in the middle of a long thread read or apparently a post. F’n annoying as hell for me cause I have to put the phone down a “metric” ton cause I am after all babysitting technically most of my day.
    I’ll try again once the hosers go to the looney bin, eh?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ok, tiny update here’s what’s going on lately. I’ve had to completely rethink my dash layout.
    [​IMG]
    My 32 3w dash was dirt cheap but missing all of main front area that denotes 3w to the lay person.
    [​IMG]
    I had recently asked @383duece for the dimensions of his coupes glovebox door. I intended to replicate the 3 raised portions to put my dash back close to original. He had also supplied me with a cut out center sedan section a long time ago.
    [​IMG]
    It would need a little repair too.
    A week ago or so @Pete hooked me up with some ruff lower dash sections
    [​IMG]
    I mainly wanted these to take out some of the guesswork on the contour of bottom edge, I only had PU dash’s to go off of and they’re incorrect. I cut them down to mostly just the bead, a little of the front face to weld to, and the bottom flat under surface. I stole some of the 7/16” stainless tube from the center bar for @ct1932ford ‘s winter front I’m working on and curved it to fill in the missing section below the gauge area. I added flat to the bottom after cutting the tube to basically a half pipe.
    I started on some wooded bucks to shape the center dash tunnel portion, glove box door, and the phony glove box door part above the steering column. Then I got disinterested in that direction. I’ve never cared for these 3 lifted parts of a 3w dash.
    [​IMG]
    Although I’ve had my heart set on using my nice mildly patina’d original 32 dash tunnel
    [​IMG]
    I thought about just filling in the missing section flat sedan style and installing the piece from Dennis to run the oval gauge panel and then maybe do a flush mount stock shape glove box door.
    I have been really excited about applying the same two tone finish to the dash when done that I used on my steering wheel.
    [​IMG]
    I equally struggle with the fact that this combined with the flashy steering wheel lean to the 50s show car/custom side as apposed to the 40s lakes racer. It’s a balancing act you know?
    Another factor in my current chaos is gauge placement. I had planned on attempting to mount the fuel level and amp gauges in a smaller than original header panel I intended to fab also holding the cool warbird mag switch I got to arm and disarm the dual coil ignition set up I started to build.
    [​IMG]
    I cut the back of the Mag switch down some but it’s still really big to be mounting above the review mirror.
    I foolishly started looking at more gauges on eBay and wound up with another temp gauge to put on the second head(yes Bruce you read that right). Now I have my eye on a old SW tach to go with the other 7 gauges I want to put in the car that is the same style as my AC speedo.
    I also got two military toggle switch covers that match the maroon of all my other knobs for switches.
    [​IMG]
    It’s purely for esthetics and unimportantly will go to dash and interior light.
    All these extra even if cheap gauges add up so I dive into the deep end and list my dash tunnel in the HAMB classifieds, hope it goes to a good home. So now I’m waiting on a engine turned stainless .030” sheet to layout all them new holes.
    I feel this new setup will better balance the race vs show fight that my build exudes. As a refresher the car is to appear that it was built between 46 an 48 and was a hot rod driver that had went through a period or two of being heavily focused on the lakes and then shows or back and forth maybe through different owners or even points in a single owners growth as a hot rod’r, use choose which way you feel is “growth”.
    I’ll post more pics soon of the progress as I haven’t really taken much lately and I’m not going out into the cold garage right now that’s for sure.

Oh and the as far as I’m concerned the most exciting update to date. I am waiting on USPS to bring the new to me H&C dual coil dizzy I got from the HAMB classifieds. It’s not the prettiest but it looks the part of Hubba Hubba and I’ll give it any Lova Lova it requires.
    [​IMG]
    I know I promised a tech update on my dual coil clone I started. I will still finish that and just use it on the 28/29 AV8 I have been gathering parts for. Maybe even sooner now with this OG to base things off of more accurately.
    I am crazy pumped about this let me repeat over and over. I had my eye on a H&C Mag for a long time but they can break my little piggy for sure and I’m saving my pennies for a 4-71.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Runnin shine I like the dash illustration (good job...have you ever drawn a likeness of your vision?...I remember back a bit some photo-edits) there and you're Hotrod journey is well thought out. Enjoying the journey...;)...Good Stuff...Seasons Greetings to you and your family.

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nice!

I was worried you took up macremae.....

19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Once you get that dash built, I can hook you up with that stainless band trim that goes around the edge of the piece that 383deuce sent you. BTW that speedo is GM 1933 chevy. Someone enlarged that 2 7/8" hole to 3" to accept that gauge. Looks good though!

20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Greg but I have a couple of them already. One goes to my pickup dash and the one that was for the Tudor I’ll use now in my 28/29 AV8 project cause I’ll put that edge piece into a flat Brookville 32 style 29 roadster dash panel I’ll get.
    The gauge is a Chevy. But the hole is not enlarged. I put the guts into a 32 Ford Can.
    [​IMG]

I have three of them I’ve converted like this. It turned out to be a lot cheaper than buying equally nice OG Ford speedos. I’m going to put one back to the Chevy way though for this new dash set up because the tach I want is a old SW that has the same style Flange and glass as the AC Chevy does. This way they’ll match better.
    Ford used 3 different suppliers for their 1932 speedometers. Here’s an unaltered 33 AC gauge.
    [​IMG]

Ric Dean, chryslerfan55, Tim and 3 others like this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

22. Happy Kwanza bruddah' man. Still diggin' your vibes. Go get em' go getta' !! :)

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

No I haven’t done any serious ones. Your correct the photoshop guys have done a few. They lack a little in accuracy and ultimate coolness that I’m after but were a good start. I don’t like to press them on details, I get carried away.
    [​IMG]
    @Tim did a super righteous one that was very inspirational but has more artistic license.
    [​IMG]
    The mighty incredible @ct1932ford Mark sketched this one for me that I framed and will probably request to be cremated with.
    [​IMG]

No disrespect to all of these great people who I completely appreciate but the finished real Hubba Hubba I intend to have them all beat. Plus it will consume less ink, trees, ones and zeros, but will digest lots of ozone.
    Can anyone say homogenized?
    This build has it in deuces, I mean spades

24. your vision of that diamond in the rough is aces......;)

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Triple Dayyum...I like these artworks...I guess because I call myself one and it helps convey your idea of what your looking for and for and artist hitting the nail on the head is most rewarding...and you said that H word...;)...your right I think it fits quite well and she's coming along

HappyShine.jpg

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I flubbed my last post with fantasy images of the morphedite. I left out this last pic. At the local newsstand after having my wingtips shined up I spotted amongst the periodicals a fine specimen.
    [​IMG]
    It made me think right away of the beast in the east, bay of my garage. Yes more distressed than my build will be but check out the pines and that snazzy splash apron/air duct and louvers in aluminum!

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

29. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

302 is my new favorite number! What a piece of Bad assery!
    Like your art, very technical looking. Keep going, you'll get there.

30. DAM! I loved this one....Merry Christmas everyone...

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.