Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Most popular color for a custom......?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by banditomerc, Sep 14, 2017.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

I have been beating myself trying to decide what color to paint my current project,1953 chevy full custom,so I was asking myself what might be.the most popular color on custom cars...I think Black would win this..hands.down

Cambusta and robracer1 like this.
  2. most popular burger is mcdonalds...........doesn't make it the best.

3. Well, then you answered your own question, didn't you. Bob Hirohata's Merc set the standard for complimentary color choice.

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Hondoures Maroon. I can`t spell. It was back in the day anyway. It is the color of the dirt in that country.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Black is stock, anything other by definition would be custom

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that is fine if you are building the car to sell. Then you want the most popular color as it has a better chance of selling but does the car stand out if it is painted a popular aka common color?
    Having taken probably 20,000 photos of cars at events since the early 70's I can say that while dark colors look great out in the sun they often don't photograph worth crap in an indoor show with funky lighting.
    This little 36 is breathtaking from any angle but the black hides rather than enhances the details when you photograph it indoors.
    [​IMG]
    On the other hand and those that know the Portland Roadster show will know that this car was back in the third room that is rather poorly lit the blue on this coupe shows every detail
    [​IMG]
    Still the criteria for color choice should be
    1. You like the hell out of it or it is your favorite color.
    2. it looks great out in the bright sunlight.
    3. it looks great at night out under the street lights.
    3. it looks good and shows the details of the car in indoor shows if you intend to show it in indoor shows.
    When Jean and I were picking the color for the 48 in 1982 we drove around and looked for a color we wanted in the daylight and then looked for cars the same color at night under the street or car lot lights.

7. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

I hate see "in a car and the First Thing that pop's in my Head is Kool-Aid ................

8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

MANGO TANGO OR WAS IT ATOMIC PUKE, WHAT DID THAT CAN READ, I KNOW ONE THING IT WAS EXPENSIVE. Stud.jpg

9. wisdonm

wisdonm

So what did you decide on?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Bandito,
    Black is nice, but, if you are trying to go with one of the popular colors of the 50-early 60's, then it has to be Candy Apple Red. There were so many cars on the street and at car shows that had this favorite So Cal color.
    upload_2017-9-15_6-5-5.png Kustomrama Cruz Palma

When people wanted a variation, the color changed into what was called "Tahitian Red." This color was slightly darker, but had that candy apple sheen.
    upload_2017-9-15_5-59-53.png Kustomrama
    Tahitian Red, sometimes printed as Titan or Titian Red.
    upload_2017-9-15_6-12-3.png Larry Watson's first candy apple paint
    upload_2017-9-15_6-16-21.png
    Joe Bailon Candy Apple Paint

Jnaki

This is a typical Candy Apple Red street roadster from 1959-60 in So Cal

George Cerny and his candy orange modified roadster at Lions 1960 it looked red in some lights at the drags.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0211sr-kandy-koating-paint/

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    chryslerfan55, LBCD, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  11. Are you trying to pick a color for your car that looks good? Or just being a lemming?

Why not do some photoshopping with different colors to see what actually compliments your particular car?

FWIW, Black and Honduras maroon were probably the two most popular custom colors in the mid '50's, but that doesn't mean one of them will be the best choice for your car.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. banditomerc

banditomerc

This is the car to be painted soon. ..am leaning towards Tahitian red...

Attached Files:

13. fuzzface

fuzzface

What color do you like? You are the one that will see it everyday and have to live with it. why paint it some other color because you wanted to be like everyone else? I would rather be different but then that is why I go for the off the wall cars, dare to be different or consider lone wolf by some instead of driving the same old cookie cutter old car that everyone else does.

There are 2 exception that can override painting it the color that you like.

first, painting it a color that your wife likes. you have to live with her too and we all know happy wife=happy life. So what color does she like?

Next one is a 180 degree spin. what color does your mother-in-law hate? Nothing like giving her more reasons to stay away. :)

Anyways if you planning on reselling it instead of keeping it a lifer then I would stick with black or resale red.

chryslerfan55 and palosfv3 like this.
  14. I can offer a color that isn't widely used, but by my experience, gets "popular" reviews. I painted the only custom I've ever done copper metallic. Back in the 70's I actually owned 3 new cars in a row that color, I liked it that much. It looks good in sunlight, moonlight, indoor light, streetlight or Miller Lite. It looks good in a rainy corn field with one eye shut.

Back in the 70's when I used it (sorry, no photos) the current crop of cars had a lot of straight line creases and it looked good. But copper metallic really pops on smooth, rounded, sexy curves of the 50's and older stuff. I don't recall anyone that didn't like it to some degree.

*1975 Chevy persimmon

15. My favorite colors have always been a metallic Blue or a Gun metallic gray.Just my 2 cents.Bruce.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, going to all be one color? any scallops, pin stripes, etc? painting it yourself? what headlight going to fill the large headlight overhang?

17. banditomerc

banditomerc

Straight color,no flames or scallops..my son and I are painting it in oct..on my vacation..

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. It not widely used now because about 10 years ago everyone was panting everything copper metallic including OEM's but it is a great colour.

19. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

purblayellornwhisliver ish!

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

DSCN8048.JPG SAM_1272 (640x480).jpg SAM_1279 (640x480).jpg SAM_1249 (640x480).jpg SAM_1228 (640x480).jpg SAM_1230 (640x480).jpg SAM_1267 (640x480).jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  21. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

"Prapleberry"...or so my son says. I think he means purple. I agree.

chryslerfan55 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  22. don colaps

don colaps

Are you going to pick that most popular colour when the question is answered or one of the others?

Skickat från min iPhone med H.A.M.B.

23. banditomerc

banditomerc

Looks like I'm going with one.of.the reds...

24. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Metallic, Candy, or Solid color?

25. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Custom = custom color. Look over the Larry Watson thread. You will find something you like there.

26. banditomerc

banditomerc

Liking this color...

27. banditomerc

banditomerc

Opps...this one

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  28. No.....not RED......maroon.....like Bertoluccia painted !

Bandit Billy likes this.
  29. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I get to custom paint a bit over the years, for myself and others. The first thing, is to use a color you love! Don't worry about what others think!
    Next consider the car itself. Very round cars look good in pearlescent colors, as well as Candies. The curves accentuate the color changes in the paint. Big cars look classier, and a bit smaller in darker colors, small cars look bigger in brighter colors. Very large cars benefit from 2 tones, to break up vast areas of sheet metal.
    I'm from the "Larry Watson" school of paint. I love his unusual color mixes, and great combinations of color.
    I did my chopped 55 Olds, in Candy Cobalt blue and silver. My 54 Chevy was Lavender Pearl, with a darker Candy Purple roof and insert. I did a car for my GF in Pale Pink Pearl with Candy Burgundy tu-tone. I'm doing a 61 Olds now, with 2 shades of Candy Pagan gold.
    Color can make the car, or break it. It can attract attention ( which I believe all customs should!) or disappear (black!)
    One of the coolest colors combos I've seen on a 54 was Art Fullerton's, Pearl White body, with a Candy Tangerine roof.
    Good to see you're looking for advice and suggestions, but in the end, YOU have to dig it! Keep looking at pictures, and check out the new car dealerships for the fancy new colors on the cars. You'll find one you can't live without!

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Buick Titian red was a real popular color back in the day. just look through the old magazines. It was used a lot. More of a maroon than a red. I could be wrong but I was told the reason it is no longer used is that with the modern paints (no lead) that the color can't be achieved
    http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1960&manuf=GM