Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford roadster wheel questions..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggin49, Sep 14, 2017.

1. draggin49

draggin49

on a stock 1932 ford roadster , what other year ford wheels would be usable on the stock axles/lug pattern?? Thanks

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

From a bolt pattern standpoint: 28-48 Ford Wheels will fit. Also, Mercury 39-51 (may have been a year or two later someone will confirm when the 5 x 5.5 pattern ended with Mercury) Ford F-1 and F-100 from 1948 also had the 5 x 5.5 pattern. The problem you may find is that your drums have ears molded in for the wire wheels that will interfere with many of the above wheels made after 1935. Your best bet may well be '35 wires.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

As AVater said 35s would be the most obvious. I would stick with the stock wheels if I were you. My pops has a barn find Stock 32 5 window. The car had Model A wheels on it when we found it and he had a set of 35s that he put on. The car just doesnt look right with the stock ride height and the smaller diameter wheels.

4. I like the bent spoke Kelsey wheels. All wheels 1928 (except AR) through 1935 will bolt right on. 1936 through 1939 are the wide bolt pattern (5 on 10 1/4) and don't fit. 1940 through 1948 will bolt on BUT REQUIRE A SPACER!!. Many post 1948 Ford truck wheels will fit (probably with spacer).

Charlie Stephens

Attached Files:

timwhit and AVater like this.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Good catch Charlie re 36-39 wide fives. That'll teach me to wake up before responding.

6. draggin49

draggin49

7. draggin49

draggin49

^^
    That's the current configuration.I'm wanting to make it more of a traditional hot rod (no fenders /bumpers etc) . This size wheel looks good with the fenders still in place but I thought they'd be too tall looking with no fenders

8. BJR

BJR

Please do not take the fenders off of that car. Do what ever else but leave the fenders on.

9. I hope you know what you're doing.

Please get a copy of the 1932 Ford book from the Early Ford V8 Club. It will provide you so much help and detail, and they are thick!

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=2

10. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I know this is a hot rod site, but your car is beautiful just the way it is. Change the wheels if you want and even lower it a little, but it is perfect as is. Here are some examples for your review.

$_57.jpg swap meet 40 32 merffery bed 017.jpg swap meet 40 32 merffery bed 014.jpg swap meet 40 32 merffery bed 016.jpg

Stovebolt and lurker mick like this.
  11. Morton's is awesome.

12. alchemy

alchemy

You CAN NOT beat the examples Pewsplace has shown. There is nothing sexier than a 32 fender. And some big and little tires on 18 inch wires is cool nowadays too. Lower the suspension, change the rubber, juice brakes, and away you go!

Andy likes this.
  13. Why, in God's name, would you even think of pulling the fenders off a beautiful '32 like that? A '32 Ford can sure as hell be a hot rod with it's fenders on.

timwhit and Andy like this.
  14. mbshafter

mbshafter
    from Detroit

Sweet car! I saw it at Joe's, there's no way I could tear it apart. You could sell it, build a traditional Brookville and end up with cash in your pocket....Its tough to end up with both hot rod and cash

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Dean Lowe likes this.

15. Are you saying you bought this car that was for sale on Hemmings?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  16. draggin49

draggin49

I own the car from Hemmings , purchased it days ago , car ships from NY to my house on Sunday .
    I will take new pics when it arrives for anyone that thinks I'm not telling the truth.
    Sorry ,I'd never post pics of someone else's shit and call it my own that's stupid. If people do that it's pretty lame on their part.

17. OK! Cool! I just revised my post minus all the sarcasm and inferred accusations. Incredible car. People here are gonna freak out. You got the holy grail there.

Actually it has happened here, and sometimes googling images has shown more than a few threads/for sale ads to be bogus. Most of the time you can tell because they only have a few posts then they disappear.

(I still wish you were just playing with these guys, they are very sensitive when it comes to '32 Fords, as you know or as you will find out)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. draggin49

draggin49

No prob Clunker it's all good . I'm excited for the car to arrive . I've always wanted a real 32 , majority of the ads I kept finding were glass or brookville bodies . I know brookvilles product is top notch quality I just prefer the real thing. I didn't mean to get so many people mad in regards to the whole fender or no fender debate . I know that each person has a strong preference usually on one or the other .I will drive it as is when it arrives

10685rusty, clunker and pat59 like this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy

I don't know the history of that car, but I would bet good money it was a hot rod at some point in its life. It was restored once, it could be again if the owner so wished.

clunker and draggin49 like this.
  20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My wife hunted down and bought a set of original fenders just removed from an original roadster. We got those (and more from the same car!) loaded, drove to the street, and paused to say goodbye to our new friend. Suddenly his forehead wrinkled...he said, thoughtfully, "But what if I want fenders again..." and started to raise his hand. I floored it and was half a mile away before he could finish his thought...

thommoina33, HemiDeuce and Andy like this.
  21. @draggin49, did your car come today?? Hope it went well. I can't imagine how it felt to see that Roadster backing down the ramp of the transport.......but I could if you post some pics!
    (I'll pm you to remind you)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.