Register now to get rid of these ads!

what's the deal with this spray on chrome?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe

You are all missing the point of the spectra chrome. Yes, you can spray rims and bumpers. You can use spectra chrome on a million other things as well. If you can paint it, you can spray it with spectra chrome. You can use SC(spectra chrome) on things you wouldn't have been able to chrome before. And the chrome can be tinted a color. Think about fairings on a motorcycle. snow mobile bodies, parts on a boat or waverunner! Think outside of bumpers, rims, and trim. I bet some of you hillbillies would like a chrome or green chrome john deere! Anything! Gary Watson, of Creations n' Chrome, is the proof you need to see the real deal. He is constructing an empire due to how well Spectra chrome works! Google him or check out his website at http://www.creationsnchrome.com/ And by the way, Real chrome bumpers do scratch.

Joey

2. Painterofmagic

Painterofmagic
    from Alabama

Ford motor had a special blue angel mustang ..spectra chromed.or silvering I should say.

3. Painterofmagic

Painterofmagic
    from Alabama

Silvering was invented in 1835.look at an old mirror....now you know what spectra chrome looks like.clear and pigment protects silver from tarnish.it looks great.cheap to do.

4. Painterofmagic

Painterofmagic
    from Alabama

Wish your friend would have purchased a silvering kit for mirrors.much..much cheaper.same thing.

5. o1racing03

o1racing03

I know this is an old thread, but apparently much has happened with this product. You can now get a complete kit for $4k. The material you are shooting costs about $3/sf and should be charged at $75/sf. plus your prep labor. Pricing of this compared to real chrome plating has also come down as real chrome plating has gone up. I see the comments of bumpers being done for $350, now they are running in the $1200-$1500 range for real chrome and can be had in spray chrome for about half that. The talk of "chrome powder coat" is why I'm looking at one of these systems. The chrome powders available these days look very good by itself, not really looking like chrome, but close. The down side is due to the metal content of the powder it must be clear coated or it will oxidize and pick up fingerprints and what have you. Unfortunately when you clear coat it it loses all of it's reflective mirror shine and just looks like shiny aluminum. We powder coaters always say when they make a powder that actually looks like real chrome or real gold anodize we'll be able to retire after a year. I love that you can tint the final clear coat to whatever candy color you want, saw a late model Mustang the other day done in candy red chrome, looked awesome.

6. Rocks Rod & Custom

Rocks Rod & Custom
    from Raytown MO

I have a spectrachrome machine for sale that I was spraying cosmi chrome product through. If anyone is interested just pm me.

Sent from my Pixel using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Rocks Rod & Custom

Rocks Rod & Custom
    from Raytown MO

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Why are you selling?

The parts look good in the photos

9. Rocks Rod & Custom

Rocks Rod & Custom
    from Raytown MO

I was trying to offer this service in my shop but it became very time consuming, I think it would be better suited for somebody if it was the only thing they did. It would also be great for just a hobby.

leadsled likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The real truth is that the parts looking all shiny and impressive like the ones shown in the pictures above will stay like that in the pictures forever.
    In real life that look will last about 5 minutes after they are out of the booth.
    ( Well maybe a tiny bit longer than that :D ) but in reality that stuff is in no way as nice or as durable as properly done real chrome plating.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    leadsled and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^true that! Its like this stuff, not a permanent solution.
    upload_2017-9-13_14-11-6.png
    But I do approve of the use on that dash above. That is beautiful.

12. Rocks Rod & Custom

Rocks Rod & Custom
    from Raytown MO

The parts in the pictures have clear on them and the ones on the table were cured out for a couple weeks soo they are still shiny to this day. But that being said real chrome plating is always ideal.

13. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'm interested in this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.