Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pacific Northwest :.......... want info on this '40 coupe.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Sep 12, 2017.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Used to see this oh so cool 40 at shows and cruze ins around. Never did find out who owns it or much about it. Always really liked this car a lot and am wondering if it is still around?? I don't get out to shows around here and haven't for the last ten years or so. So I may be missing it if it is still being shown at some of these meets. Down in Mesa Az. there is a four foot picture in the tire store near me of it, was surprised to see that. Any help would really be appreciated because I'd really like to see it again and discover who owns it and more about it. Thanks guys for any help you can offer in helping me locate this outstanding 40, one that I consider the best one out there, (besides the El Matador of course). The front shot 40-1.jpg 40-2.jpg image is distorted because it is a picture of a picture, the hood does not come out that far. 40-2.jpg 40-1.jpg

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Can't help you, but that's a very cool Kustom....

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Did you inquire at the tire store? With a 4' poster in their window, they're either tremendous fans of the car or they own it.
    Speaking of tires, I can't help think how good the car would look with WWW's and wheel covers. Interesting car. The hood scoop looks out of place on a full Custom. 59 Cad taillights became common place (over done) in the 80's, so I'm wondering how long ago the custom work was done.

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Looks like a car that was in the Everett area back in the mid seventies. It was green then. I will look for a picture to confirm that.

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Change your thread description to Customs instead of Hot Rods. It looks more like a Custom to me. I like it.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen that car dozens of times over the years and have a bunch of photos of it but haven't seen it for about the same length of time you have.
    If you are on FB post it on the Northwest Rods and Customs FB page. Mike Shelley and some of the others will know more about it.

7. This ^^^^. If nothing, I have Mikes email

8. 34Larry

34Larry

Yes I did ask if they knew anything about it the minute I saw the pic. The original guy from the Rock Auto commercial said. "daahhhh I can find out tomorrow", and the rest of them concurred.
    About the scoop, I felt the same way when it was around and that would have been gone if it were mine. Thanks for your input.

9. 34Larry

34Larry

Does it really make a difference? I just wanted info nothing else, not posting a car.

10. 34Larry

34Larry

I'd like his email. I'm at [email protected].

11. 34Larry

34Larry

I'm interested in the car because I'd like to own it if that is at all possible, now that my 34 is on the road.

12. 34Larry

34Larry

Thanks Mr48chev, not on FB though to much time wasted there and I'm to busy to sit here that much.

13. 34Larry

34Larry

Hey 48Chev and NOMOBUX if your talking of Mike Shelly down in Mesa/Apache Junction Az. I know him from Road Haven Resort where we both lived, (he's moved now), and I have sent him an email asking if he know the where-a-bouts. Thanks for the heads up, hope he is the Mike Shelly your speaking of.

14. That's him.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, he will know the car as I think it was at at least one of the Customs Northwest events he put on when he had it. If he doesn't know exactly he will know someone who does.

16. 34Larry

34Larry

Well he thought he did. He said at first it was Bob Thurston's who owned The Train restaurant up at Elbe, who had retired and moved to Mexico. But sent me a mail this afternoon saying he'd screwed up, with a picture of Bob's 40 which was not the one. Said he has no knowledge of this one. So I'm still on the look out for it. Thanks for your help.
    FYI, I met Mike down in the RH resort in Apache Junction Az. in 08 after buying in there. I did not know him at all before then.

17. bump up for a cool custom........

18. 34Larry

34Larry

Excuse the bump guys, I'm hoping someone up here will see this and save my day. I really want this car. Willing to work out a trade if at all possible. No idea of what the power/drive is in this but it doesn't matter, I'd even accept a flat head Plymouth 6 if that is what it is. LOL

19. 34Larry

34Larry

I have a pretty solid lead on the car.
    I emailed Sondre Kvipt, owner of the web site "Kustomrama" asking him if he knew of the car and who has it and where it is. (If your not "on" Kustomrama, your missing one of the best sites, if not the best site on the custom/rod sites, IMO)
    He replyed;....."The car you question was originally built by Tacoma Toppers member Danny Hall in the late 1950's".
    "Today is owned by a fellow named John Dixon of Lacey WA. John has owned the car for circa 20-25 years."

He went on to offer Johns email and phone # if I want it.
    Thanks all for your help, I will perhaps keep this updated with more as I now pursue more about the car.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. 34Larry

34Larry

Okay, Alright, Whopeee found the 40. It now lives in Lacy Washington and has for the last 25 years. It belongs to John D. I emailed him and no reply so I called the number given me by Sondre of Kustomrama and no answer, but John did call me back. We had a great "car guy" conversation for about a hour and as much as I hopped the car was up for sale, it is not.
    John is kinda poor in cars it seems, and we all should wish him much better health in this arena, he only has three 32's. Well doesn't everybody? Just kidding John if you see this.
    He said he hasn't had it out for a while, the tires probably need air he says but plans are to get-er-out some time soon. Says the paint is a little faded, and some body filler is cracking, but after these many years that is to be expected. Also said he somehow found out it was on a large poster for a show down in Cali. sometime back. He called and was told it was just to kool not to use when they found the picture somehow someplace. Invited me down when I have time.
    So search is closed for this one, now to locate my old '48 Buick and see if it is available.
    Thanks for the help to those who did.