Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who carries a spare tire and where to you hide it???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Sep 11, 2017.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

No spare but, coincidentally, just today I packed into my mobile took bag something I found in my air tool drawer the other day: one of those tire inflaters you screw into a spark plug hole. The hose is long enough to reach all tires. Unfortunately I don't think you can drive with it hooked up. ;)

Also have a can of Fixaflat that's about 5 years old and probably dead as a doornail.

2. I've done the temp tire, full size tire and even just carrying a spare tube with spoons.

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Carry a can of fix a flat and a AAA card. So far it's always got me home.

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have a junkyard sourced mini spare out of a Camaro in my trunk. Chevy bolt pattern, fits on both front and back (checked). Got a bag of lug nuts, too, because the ones on my wheels are different. Open diff on the rear, probably wouldn't be happy with different diameter wheels, but it'd be enough to get me off the highway or to the closest shop if I needed it.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Sure glad all my diff's are open.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  6. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

No where to hide......Let it all hang out! meltdown2017b.JPG

Fern 54 and bobss396 like this.
  7. Mine sits in the spare tire well of my '59 Ford and is too big for it actually, so I lean it a little. I carry a floor jack and big lug wrench too. I'll take a picture later.

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Many years ago, my dad got a can of spare-in-a-can for my mum's car, to avoid her having to change a wheel at the roadside. It eventually exploded in the glove box, coating everything in there with goop. Since then I've been wary of the things. Anyone else had a can explode?

I suppose the thing is to carry it in a place that won't get so hot on a hot day.

9. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

The spare on my '50 Chevy truck is mounted in more or less the stock position. Had to make this bracket setup though as the factory bracket was missing when I bought the truck. It being right underneath means that it won't be much fun to remove it from the truck if I get a puncture on a dark rainy night though:(

[​IMG]

jeepster likes this.
  10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

they'll work on a small tire, but i've used 2 of the large ones on a pickup and still had to air up the tire!

11. 327Eric

327Eric

I carry one, smack dab in the middle of my bed, and sockets and a jack behind the seat. Waiting for help is not fun.

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I've heard the tire shops do not appreciate tires that have the "fix-a-flat" stuff installed. Tires sure are better than they were back in the day. "GoodYear" was an advertising slogan, because if you got a year out of a tire you were doing good.

13. norms30a

norms30a

I had the exact same thing. I did not know there were aluminum tags in the Coker sidewalls so after about a hundred mile drive I parked in my garage and had a flat tire. I ended up taking all 4 tires off and scraping the tags out of each of them. I will be putting a doughnut behind the seat.

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  14. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Yes and Yes but I also carry a tire plug kit and a small cheapy 12 volt compressor just in case. No room for a spare on my coupe and 2 different sizes from front to rear. Won't help with a blow out but otherwise they work.

15. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Plenty of room, no problem! 100_9866.JPG 100_9867.JPG

KustomKreeps, tb33anda3rd and Blues4U like this.
  16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be careful with the spark plug deal. My cousin stopped to help a cute chick in distress fixed her flat OK , but the ball bearing in the plug end fell out into his engine, then he was in distress.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  17. In our '59 Elky we definitely didn't want the spare in the cab behind the seat like the factory did it. We observed that the gas tank on the car had a tire-shaped chunk taken out of it so it was a no-brainer to install it under the rear bed. The factory didn't provide the rear tire mount so we made our own.

First we found a junk-yard late model spare tire hoist. This is from a 00s Dodge Dakota I think.
    P1010014.JPG

then we welded up a frame that bolted into the factory frame to mount the hoist
    P1010017.JPG

P1010013.JPG

The hoist is operated by a 1/2" square drive so we got a couple Harbor Freight looooong 1/2" extensions to play with. We finally found the best placement was through the drivers side wheel well. Top one is used with ratchet to lower the tire on the outside of the car, the bottom one is installed permanently in the car from the hoist to the wheel well access point.
    P1010026.JPG

P1010030.JPG

P1010028.JPG

Now with a 1/2" ratchet, one of the long extensions, and a swivel we can lower the tire from outside the car, just behind the rear tire.
    P1010027.JPG

Looks just like in the movies!!
    P1010029.JPG

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

That is one sweet spare tire storage setup "willys36".
    I used a chain hoist on my trailer which worked out good, but so far I never had a flat.

19. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

AAA and a cell phone. Last 2 cars I bought for my wife did not come with spares. Companies trying to meet stupid CAFE mileage rules. They had those terrible run flat tires that ride like crap, last about 25,000 miles and cost double a normal tire.

20. primed34

primed34

Keep a space saver spare in the trunk of the '34. I've never used it, but I've loaned it out a few times.

21. None of my traditional cars have spares. Roads and tires are built a lot better than they used to be.

22. Out in the country/desert where I live, yes the roads are better than they used to be but the problem is debris. Last year a piece of angle iron came off a fruit bin hauling truck and shredded the shit out my sidewall. Was coming home in a hurry after dinner on our anniversary. Didn't turn out to be the Lucky night I had been hoping for..

Also boys-- give your spare tire a check every so often. Twice in my history I've had a spare tire that didn't have air in them. One had a dry rotted valve stem and the other had corrosion on the bead and the air escaped.
    Like that under bed carrier too btw.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

23. Yep, road hazards are the biggie nowadays. Many years ago I was driving my Caprice and didn't see it until too late and ran over a big truck brake shoe on the road. It dutifully punctured my engine oil pan, tranny oil pan, and for good measure, my gas tank. NHRA would have docked me a lot of points for spillage on the track!!

24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always carry a spare. Never want to be stranded on any road or freeway.
    I use a tire that is in between large rear size & front size, that covers both!
    After 300,000 miles on the road, only 1 flat so far!----- I store it in the trunk -----Don

25. In my Sedan I'll just throw one in the back on a trip and probably not use one around town.

26. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I got a spare tire from an Astro van at a Pick-A-Part yard. It is thin and tall (18" wheel?) and is easy to store in a variety of cars.

27. Regrettably in recent years I carry it around my waist! :D:rolleyes: HRP

28. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I hear you on that kind of spare and very difficult to hide...

29. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

30. Tithe to my church, frequent prayer, regular fasting.