Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who carries a spare tire and where to you hide it???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Sep 11, 2017.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I'm just wonder what folks do to cover a blow out.
    My first hot rod had a rear wheel carrier but next one won't...

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've been doing this old car thing for many years and never worried about carrying a spare. For some reason I just bought a spare for my 63 Impala (avatar).

Gary

3. belair

belair

I just suck in my gut.

clem, Alaska Jim, Fern 54 and 5 others like this.
  4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yeah, I try that every once in a while.

Alaska Jim and Stogy like this.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

IMG_1668.JPG Hidden in plain sight.

Texas Webb, Fern 54, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  6. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

It barely fits in there.... :)

PICT0005.JPG

Fern 54, AVater, flatheadpete and 3 others like this.
  7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

All the miles and trips that I've done with a spare and never needed it, I just worry about my 1st time out without one.
    I did one trip years ago and took 2 spares and used them both one after the other.
    Boy, I sure felt unlucky that day...

8. We all hope we wont need one.

Alaska Jim likes this.
  9. Blown35

Blown35

-----
    I hide mine out back with a cover on it - that way no one knows I have a spare tire ! ... good for extra traction with the ScOT blown flathead up front!

get-attachment-1.jpg

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I've tried to stay all Ford stud pattern as I haul a trailer sometimes and can share my spare for both.

Mr48chev likes this.
  11. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Donut in the trunk of the 32 Roadster and a regular spare in the spare tire wheel well in the trunk of the 51 Meteor

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Obviously it not practical to carry a spare when you have wildly different tire sizes. But the hot rod gods were sure looking after us this day , drove 1 1/2 hrs to a show and right at the gates the rt front 550x16 went completely flat. We parked right beside some 4WD guys who took over , the 4wd guy was the manager of a tire shop, so on a Sunday morning he took the tire away fitted a new tube and we were done. Believe in luck!! The fault was from the first time the tires went on way back yrs ago and the shop didn't spot cokers aluminium tag inside the tire , it was flat next am so unbeknown to us they patched the new tube poorly and it came back to haunt us. Much thanks to Valley 4WD guys n gals.
    So in answer to your question in our 3 cars we only carry a spare in a bottle but on this occasion it would not have helped anyway. But we do carry an old scissor jack( see under right axle )
    IMG_0094.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    pat59, kiwi54chev, Fern 54 and 3 others like this.
  13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Anybody carry and have used one of those pressure cans that are supposed to re-inflate a flat tire???

14. socal34

socal34

On long or cross country trips I put in back seat with other luggage. Do not like going across the desert with out one.

Stogy likes this.
  15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I did a haul across country about 1000 miles round trip with a spare mounted on my first hot rod, only to discover several years later that the center hole size meant that it would not have fitted on the front hub.
    I carried the smaller wheel size so it will fit front or rear, but I'm sure the diff would not have liked running for long with such a combination on the rear...

I also wondered where the hell I would put the big rear tire/wheel if I ever had to do the swap. Probably on the roof.

16. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

My spare tire is in a can, it's in the milk crate in the trunk with my clean up stuff, won't help with a blow out but it will get you out of the Motel/Restaurant parking lot and down the road to the Tire Shop. They work, I've used one once!

Alonzo "Lon" Wilson likes this.
  17. That's what SHE said.....

deadbeat and Lebowski like this.
  18. 30 years ago coming back from a rod run the outside rear tyre started to go flat, could feel it in the way the car rode, pulled over and used the spare in a can, it was enough to inflate it and kept it o/k till we got home, about 10yrs ago also had a front tyre blow out at speed luckily had been carrying a spare tho' didn't have any spare underwear.......lol............andyd

Attached Files:

Fern 54 likes this.
  19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You could carry a tire patch kit and tire tools for tubes, a plug kit for tubeless, or, do what I do. Cell phone. Credit card. Hope for the best. ;-)

czuch and Runnin shine like this.
  20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I have never carried a spare but I do carry a plug repair kit which came in handy on two occasions. My back up is my AAA card.

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy used to just figure that I had my spare in the back of my 48 that fit both my 48 and the Chevy bolt pattern on his Model A roadster.
    I've got the skinny spare that was in the trunk of my Dad's 84 Olds 88 that I will probably carry in the truck again or find another skinny spare that fits the new bolt pattern. Plan is for that to go behind the seat in the stretched cab with the subwoofer speaker in the middle of it.

22. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

I still carry them. Although over the last 15 years since I first started driving I have never had a flat tire.

My current project im running airbags. the 5 gallon tank has four ports. two im using for the pumps then another for a tire valve that i can use to pressurize the system at gas stations etc just encase of some pump failure. The last I plan to have hooked up with a a hose etc to inflate tires.
    I haven't tested yet but my ride may be to low even with bags extended to take the rear tires off if they are inflated. So the ability to be able to inflate them on the road side is needed.

23. gene-koning

gene-koning

AAA. I've never had to use it, so I don't know how well it works. Haven't carried a spare tire in a hot rod in 20 years, and have only used the spare in my wife's PT once in 130K miles (tire was about wore out), the only flat I've had since I have been able to keep good tires on my rides. Gene

24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I know a few that carry a small donut spare,picked up at a boneyard.

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The spares in mine are where they are supposed to be,I finally got a spare in my 37 Chevy p/u and used one of those space savers since it does not stick too far down past the bed.

26. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I carry a donut spare in my 40, but after 25,000 miles it remains untouched. I had a donut spare in a previous rod that a friend gave me. He said here it matches your bolt pattern, so I put in the trunk. 10 years later and lots of miles I sold the car. Thinking that I would save the spare I got it out, and for some reason checked the lug spacing, it did not fit the car that I carried in all that time. Had a friend that used his donut spare on the rear of his rod [the spare was much smaller than the other rear tire] and drove it about 50 miles with no problem.

27. never leave home without one.....I'll find a spot some where.....inflaters are good....take a new valve stem or maybe a new tube and tire irons if your far from a tire shop....

28. Have an alum Ford pattern and a adapter to Chevy. Covers me and and my travel partners.

29. manyolcars

manyolcars

I actually drive my ol cars everywhere I go. I dont have a modern car so Yeah, I carry spares in every one of my cars. For big wheel/small wheel I carry a small spare. It fits on the front and on rare occasions I've put it on the back to get home.

30. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I had a U Haul towing hit fitted to my old 60 F100 and the guys said to me "well you wont be able to run your spare under the rear of your pickup box any more".
    So for several years I had to suffer this damn spare in the back of my box always in the way and always wonder when it might get stolen.
    Eventually, I decided to see how I could get my spare to fit back under the box.
    Would you believe it, it just fitted right back in place with no mods at all.
    I don't take any bodies word for stuff like that any more after that...
    Knowing that, I eventually went for a bigger size tire and with slight mods it still worked well.

Attached Files: