Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Major damage 1954 Ford Victoria Crestline Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by VonMoldy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

This was posted when you first started this thread in Sept 2015. It might be a better, quicker plan even now. Just saying.

2. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Bollards are notorious for running out in front of cars, Danny, especially in the winter:)

VonMoldy likes this.
  3. buds56

buds56

Sometimes you need to walk away and think about a project, this is a hobby, if the work turns in to a job or you lose interest and don't care then its time to send it down the road.

I've had cars sit for a couple years then jump back on them and finish, but unfortunately over the years there have been quite a few that never got done and were sold off in parts or scrapped at a significant loss but I don't worry about it because this is suppose to be fun and/or rewarding not a 2nd job

I would let it sit, think about it, maybe lightly look for another old ford body to use the parts on.
    Start it up once in awhile, look at the good side, clean it up, you may get reinspired.
    An idea may be to seek out a pro for a second set of eyes on it
    Good luck

VonMoldy likes this.
  4. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Thanks for the good advice. And I agree if it isnt fun then why do it? HOBBIES SHOULD BE FUN!! The sad thing is I have made some progress the last month or so and I think I am ready to start welding and getting the door permantly in place. Its just seeing all the crappy wiring the rust deep in the cracks and crevices of the car really gets to me. I tend to get obsessive and perfectionist with stuff. I need to keep reminding myself "perfect is the enemy of good"

5. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

How dare you remind me how long I have been working on this junk! I am kidding but it does seriously boggle my mind how long its been. I do wish I could start with a really nice solid car but lack of money and the fact I have this one already makes me want to push ahead. Also I have the time to do the work just not the motivation right now.

junkers72 likes this.
  6. Take a break, keep it in the back of your mind until things come in to focus. I've worked on the car in my avatar off and on for 21 years and still it's not to my liking. You have done a great job and eventually the car will turn out fine.

VonMoldy likes this.
  7. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Well made a bit of progress before my allergies started actin a fool. Pulled the dash which will make replacing the floor pan and getting the firewall back to normal and did some minor straightening of the firewall metal. Not a major update but I am just gonna keep going at it and not get bummed out by everything needing attention and do one thing at a time. P9102064JPG.jpg
    P4301965JPG.jpg

been building this shear and need to finish this as it would come in handy making patches.

slim38 likes this.
  8. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I know the feeling. Keep with it and finish it off, it won't finish itself! When you're done or at least have it in primer you can sell it, but once you get it to that point you'll want to keep it!

VonMoldy likes this.
  9. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

This is true. once its in primer i wont be worrying about all the work i have to do! once its in primer I will want to be driving and showing it off!

just gonna leave this photo here to give me inspiration every time I visit this thread. Even in primer these cars are cool!
    10622912.jpg

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude you need to check out the guy rebuilding his dad's rotten Chrysler. Or the Mopar nut who spliced together a convertible or ANYTHING by Jim Sibley. Point is, just keep plugging away at it. It will get done and you'll be proud of the result.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I know how you feel.Best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. IMO there is nothing wrong with fixing something well enough to drive it and then going back and finishing it when you find parts\inspiration. Just my 2 cents.

12. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

Use your TIG for butt welding. You can control the amount of weld bead much better and the weld is softer than MIG. For filler, I have an old slightly rusty 50 lb mig wire spool and just use that wire.

For grinding, I use a small air die grinder with a 3" 1/8 wide cut off wheel. Use the edge of the wheel to get most of the weld bead off. Then use it more flat to level to the surface. If you are careful you can get it so you don't even need filler. Maybe a little 2 part glazing after your epoxy primer is all.

I use a 1/16 tungsten. You can peen your weld some to counteract the shrinkage (before you grind) With tig, it won't take much.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

X2 on the welding helmet. Auto darkening and use a magnifier if you are like me and need it. All the mistakes look big in the helmet but when you take it off you can't even see them!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I find that you have to compartmentalize a big project like yours. Look for little victories along the way. You will get er done, just enjoy the journey.

15. I like that it has the FE engine. Ive only owned one 54 ford. It was a Victoria 2 dr htp. The back glass was gone and it was full of leaves pack rat nest ect. No rear end. When we picked it up with the wrecker. We heard a familiar sound from the inside. I climbed up on the trunk and stirred the litter with a long stick. Sure enough it had a nest of pigmy rattlesnakes in it. As we started down the highway . A few snakes dropped out thru rusty holes in the back floorboards, We didn't bring it home. We left it at some vacant land we owned. During the winter I sold it to Inness auto salvage. The last time I was there he still had it.

16. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

I just sat and read your post from beginning to up to now. A lot of good infor. in there and I am very proud of the work that you have done so far. I have a '50 chevy coupe with both doors out of line, after reading this maybe this winter I will tackle my doors. The main thing is don't you give up on this car, take a little break if need be.... and sit in a chair and look at it for awhile, get things worked out in your head, then get back at it....that always helps me. That is going to be a beautiful car when you get finish !!!!

17. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Been awhile since i have read this thread, but bears repeating if already mentioned. Door hinges! Make sure yours are as good as new. Just can't align a door properly without a good foundation.