Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Now She Looks Right.

els, loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  2. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

I had difficulty seeing that kind of value in the car.

els likes this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

GOOD STUFF:)

els and loudbang like this.
  4. RamJet1

RamJet1

Now that wheel and tire combo looks perfect!
    Change the hood and it's a total winner!

els and loudbang like this.
  5. I know, I know... It came with a new 58 hood BUT.. my old Edelbrock C3B manifold is too tall. It has a 750 DP Holley that works perfect and I'd like to keep it. I need to find a mid 60's 275HP?/327" factory cast iron intake with the Holley square bore pattern. I've seen them. I'll get it figured out over the winter.

6. loudbang

loudbang

Dover 1964 2 running and 3 in the background

dover 1964.JPG

7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

The same intake is on my 66

els, Hotdoggin DaddyO and loudbang like this.
  8. jimdillon

jimdillon

Mark the C3B should work with a stock hood. I have the same manifold and carburetor setup on my black 62 with a stock hood and it is fine. As long as you use a drop down base which you have you should be good to go. Some guys use a thinner front rubber cushion on the crossover mount but I have the stock cushions on mine. I do not use a wing nut but rather a machine screw to avoid kissing the hood-God forbid. car-craft-detroit-autorama-coverage-37.jpg

My car is on the hoist but will take a photo later on if you want. The only picture I have handy is the Car Craft picture from this years Autorama that will give you the idea of how thick the air filter should be.

9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Since you are going to change the hood anyway. This cowl hood could be massaged into something else cool.
    If you know someone who is good with fiberglass have them put a different scoop on it.
    I think maybe a Teardrop scoop like on a Thunderbolt would definitely be a cool look and it wouldn't be too high.

Since it is a spare hood:)

els and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Drove mine to work today, and I also had a c3b on mine too before the man a fre , just need an air cleaner with a drop base [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. my nephew (just over one year old) showing me how he's going to drive it in 15 years. This one's his when i'm gone...
    JDvette.jpg

12. RamJet1

RamJet1

Enloe, I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe a hole with a scoop like the yellow Greer, Black, and Prudhomme dragster. I always loved that scoop. Or something correct to the period.

els, loudbang and enloe like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

The Mako Shark

Here’s a famous General Motors concept vehicle with two identities, if you will. Originally known as the Mako Shark II when it was introduced in 1965, the car was revamped a few years later (1969) with a new roofline and other features and renamed the Manta Ray. In this original GM promotional film, the car—also known as XP-830, its internal GM designation—is shown in its Mako Shark II form. Actually, there were two Mako Shark II concepts, reportedly: a studio glider and a fully operational prototype.

With its multi-tone fadeaway paint, the Mako Shark II took some cues from the original Corvette Mako Shark show car of 1961, but it featured some new design themes as well, and those themes are clearly evident in the production 1968 Corvette. Indeed, there’s no mistaking the C3 Corvette’s roots in the Mako Shark II/Manta Ray, which today resides in the GM Heritage Collection in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

Mako shark email.JPG

14. elgringo71

elgringo71

Corvette in the Winners Circle at the HAMB Drags

IMG_5350.jpg

15. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

DSCN1712.JPG
    Just another picture of Jim's' air breather. May not the best photo showing the attachment he uses rather than a wing nut.

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks Rumblegutz for posting the picture. I drove the car this morning and could have taken a picture but the picture above tells the same story. I measured the thickness of the element and it is 2" thick. It may seem like it would not fit but remember the hood has a radius that allows for more room than first thought. When you put yours on you can use a little clay and then close it gently and I believe you will be all right.

Baron, loudbang and els like this.
  17. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Now Loudbang, you Know you're gonna get your Ass in trouble for that one. I Love It.

[​IMG]

els, loudbang and enloe like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

It was built in 1965 LOL :rolleyes:

19. Hotdoggin DaddyO, els and loudbang like this.
  20. jimdillon

jimdillon

Car was definitely a hot rod in its day. The price seems a bit steep but then some people love the words barn find and are willing to part with good money to pay for two words. If it was "restored" the value would most likely be somewhere twice the $32,000, which is the buy it now price (IMO). Anyone that has brought these cars back to life know that you can burn through a pile of dough in short order. I can only imagine the so-called surface rust may be worse than originally planned and that would be tons of fun to remediate. All that being said, I know eventually it will sell and be brought back to life (I hope they don't exhibit is as some barn find nonsense). If it brings $32,000 then maybe it will help the value of our C1s but I doubt it.

I may be in the minority but if I stumbled on it and was buying it from the owner and not the flipper, I would give about $15,000. A guy in my car club had me go with him to look at a 61 a few years ago, apart but in pretty nice shape that had been stored indoors since 1969. It had about $8000 in spare parts and I told my buddy to jump on it for $21,000 which he did.

Ron Funkhouser, Baron, els and 5 others like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Found another pic posted by Gary Reynolds on the Vintage thread of another 58-60 Vette and blew it up a bit. Another typical hot rod. Vette HR21.jpg Upon closer look I would guess this is late 60s. It appears to have a tach on the dash and he added to the hood to give it a little room above the carburetor. It also looks like Thrush side pipes. I had some thrush mufflers back then and I remember them to be a tad loud. The side pipes looked OK although I was never a fan of them on early Vettes (56-62). It looks like he removed the grill and changed possibly to the 61/62 look. He may have even painted the top to look like a vinyl top or actually had vinyl added. I had a buddy do that on his 61 and although I thought I would hate it, I have to admit it looked pretty good (he changed the color to gold with a black vinyl top). I had a chance to buy that car and if I could go back in time, I would but I just bought a 68 Z-28 from my buddy (this was 69-so I thought I was stylin with such a "new car"). One of the few cars I really admit that I wish I had kept.

23. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would still be a good looking Corvette today Jim. I remember the Thrush Side pipe craze back late sixties-early seventies. By 1972 the price of the C1's had climbed to around $2500.00 for a decent one. All I could come up with dough was around $2000.00, so I wound up buying a 2 year old 69 Z28 for $1800.00 (and the going price at the time ). Later I swapped that for a 64 Corvette coupe , 250 hp 327/4 spd car. I did a bunch of work on that one(paint, wheels, tires, exhaust, etc) hoping to sell it and be able to afford a C1, but as quick as I bought and sold these cars ( and made a little money on each one), the price of the C1's continued to climb and were just plain out of reach for me. It wasn't until the early eighties I was able to buy my first 62 Corvette. And it only took me 45 years to buy my second 57 Corvette. Life is good. :)

Bowtie Coupe, els, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bobby Davis' 61 would be parked right up the street from the gas station I worked at after I got out of school. I would have given my right arm to own that car back in the day. Remember looking at it sitting in front of his grandmother's house like it was yesterday. Bob Davis Corvette.jpg

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

I may have told this story before Baron, but the first Vette I tried to buy was a fawn beige 61 at a Detroit Chevrolet car lot on the corner of 7 mile and the Lodge freeway. It was a low HP car with a 3 speed and it was in poor shape that they wanted to broom in the worst way. It had a hole through the driver's door and the door panel as well about the size of a bowling ball. The salesman did not know why and I surely could not figure it out. I was not 18 yet and so my dad made these executive decisions apparently and when my dad heard the word Corvette, he nixed the deal.

I then moved on to getting a 61 Starliner that was a dedicated drag car and my dad heard it rumble up to the house and nixed that as well. I only recently bought a 61 Starliner as I never forgot how much I liked them. My buddy with the Z-28 needed a bigger car for his growing family so he bought a used 1967 SS427 Impala (black) and told me the Z was mine if I took over the payments-which I did-right around $1300 and change. Great car-rallye green with white stripes. I was the proudest guy on the planet for sure.

My first Vette had to wait for the ink to dry on my divorce in 1977-which is the black 62 I still own and drive.

Bowtie Coupe, els, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  27. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Took the 57 to cruise night last Wednesday. If you look at the parking lot, almost all the cars are gone by 7:00. The season is quickly coming to a close. 57 Corvette , cruise night 9 13 17.jpg

28. jimdillon

jimdillon

Baron your car looks great (goes without saying). You are right the summer cruise season in winding down. I have not cruised very much nor have I attended many shows this year. So yesterday I went to a show at Paragon Corvette (supply parts for Vettes of course) and today attended the Milford Car show. I figured I better have some fun before the snow flies. Took my red 62 to both-no trophies at Paragon as it was really an open house but I took a first in class at Milford. Took no pictures but was a long day as our car club helps direct the parking of the show cars and we get there at 6:30 am till 3:30 when the show ends. No pictures but here is a picture of the local 2017 calendar where they used a picture of the 2015 Milford car show. My red 62 or at least half of it made the cover and the month of September. My wife approved of it since there are nice flowers in the picture. Vette Red sml 13.jpg

We have a few shows coming up but we know what is around the corner. The upside is that I can get some work done during the winter months. It is just a matter of how much. It seems I make a list every year but there always seems to be a lot to do in maintenance in addition to making progress on the new projects.

Bowtie Coupe, Moriarity, els and 4 others like this.
  29. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I took this photo at an all Corvette show at Celozzi-Ettleson Chevrolet in Elmhurst, Illinois in 1974. I was so stoked about 'vettes at the time that I bought a '69 roadster the next month.

* Does anyone have an early to mid 70s Eckler's Corvette Parts
    catalog they might be willing to part with?

image.png

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  30. jimdillon

jimdillon

Quick 85 cool picture. Funny but it looks like this 62 owner did the same treatment on the hardtop with the vinyl top look. He also added what looks like a L88 scoop on the hood. Guys often radiused the wheelwells but this guy gave it a little bit different look. I also had one of those license plates during the era (as well as one of those stickers that I used to put on my chrome valve covers). Cool car.

loudbang, quick85, catdad49 and 3 others like this.