Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Another Stupid Trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Safe travels sir

els and loudbang like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

What a warrior.

Jim needs to write a book, and someone will make him rich with the movie rights.

Really enjoy your road trip threads.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

MAN!!! You should get some kind of "hard-luck award", or something similar, for all this trip is going to take from you; and you still keep swinging the bat! One of the magazines has GOT to do a story on this. Jim, when are you going to grow up? Now, go clean your room. Like Red Green says, " we're all pullin' for ya' ".
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

wishing you the best, Jim. I hope you enjoy success and safety.

If you weren't so damn far away, I would have fired up the Suburban. We could have put the hitch on and away you go. Just like the good old days.

See you at Da Grove.

5. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

What a story this is! Feel bad for the truck issues Jim, glad to see it didn't put your plans to attend Drag week in the can! As has been said GO JIM GO! Joe

els and mad mikey like this.
  6. D-man313

D-man313

Leaving the house in a little bit to head to Cordova. Jim sorry to see the truck broke down but we'll see you tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els, loudbang, oldsjoe and 1 other person like this.
  7. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

"I may growing older, but I refuse to grow up"

els, loudbang and FinnishFireball like this.
  8. You have no choice Jim, you must defend the GASSER title. lol. Soon you will need another closet to keep the jackets. WE ARE WATCHING all week. Go do what you DO!:);)

9. squirrel

squirrel

we made it to the Davenport area, the car did fine. Had to make a few minor tweaks...aim the headlights, lube the throttle linkage, added a Bluetooth speaker so we could hear some tunes, etc. Also disconnected the tach, because I've had problems with it on long trips, and I didn't want it to quit working on the drive. The GV overdrive works fine, cruises about 65-70 mph at just under 2500 rpm. The bias ply tires mean it takes work to drive, two hands on the steering wheel all the time and be careful passing trucks and on rough road surfaces, and when the cross winds kick up.

a few more pics from today. Pretty quiet day, not a real long drive. Had time to relax and wash the car. Tomorrow will be a long day, with the registration/tech inspection. Hundreds of cars, lots of friends to talk to, it's like a big car show with horsepower.

IMG_20170909_114547.jpg IMG_20170909_131334.jpg IMG_20170909_142927.jpg IMG_20170909_154504.jpg

T-roaster, OahuEli, Mtn Goat and 34 others like this.
  10. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Plan II? Fitting name once more, good luck to you guys and if anyone can make it you can. My bet is you kick @ss at Dragweek too!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

11. Jim, just out of curiosity, how many miles did you go and what kind of gas mileage did you get? Montana

12. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

You should be "required reading" for everybody if you aren't already. Good luck!!

13. squirrel

squirrel

we drove the Chevy II 1200 miles, getting 11 mpg average, I think. In about 48 hours. two nights in hotels.

14. Wow! You da man! ;):cool: Godspeed at the races...

els, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  15. your a true bad ass! Good luck and have fun. keep the pictures coming

els, loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  16. belair

belair

Iron Man. Rest up and mow 'em down.

els, loudbang, ClayMart and 1 other person like this.
  17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Jim, your pure determination and persistence never fail to amaze me. You my friend are a RACER.

18. Roadsir

Roadsir

Nice shake down cruise....You should be good to go. Have a great and safe week!

19. Squirrel you have some of the best adventure stories on the HAMB. SUBSCRIBED

20. putz

putz
    from wisc.

You The Man !!!!!:cool:

21. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Go fast, buddy ! We're all pulling for ya !

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Looking good Jim. Not too many guys would drive a race car 1200 miles in 48 hours. You deserve a big thumbs up.

Gary

els, oldsjoe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  23. belair

belair

If the guys in Two Lane Blacktop could drive their car to the big race, why can't you?

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The two lane blacktop thing is what this reminds me of. Except maybe it's a young guy in a late model factory performance rig that is the nemesis.

25. Safe travels and good luck at Drag Week!

26. That really doesn't sound too bad. What were you getting in the truck you were towing with?

els, loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  27. The gas does not matter. ITS DRAG WEEK, OOOOOOHHHH YEEEAAA!:D:D

els, oldsjoe, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

Got the car through tech inspection and registration pretty early today, no problems with that.. Found the torque converter bolts were a bit loose, so I will need to keep an eye on them. I guess I'm ready to race in the morning, we'll see how it goes.

Fun day at the registration line "car show", it started forming before sun up and we left at sun down...all the pre registered cars had got through the line, and they were about to start on the "wait list" cars (folks who did not make the first 400 registrations, which sold out in around ten minutes earlier this year when registration opened online). I think they will let all the wait list cars in, because there were enough no shows. Around 50 cars were in this line

it's a lot of fun talking to the racers, and seeing folks who just stopped by to check out he cars and say hi. I was wearing my Squirrel! shirt, so I could remember who I am.

Hot Rod magazine has several writers/photographers/video folks doing stories, several stopped by this morning to check out Brian's car.

IMG_20170910_101808.jpg

29. do they start runs at 8 AM?