Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2017 Banger Meet - A Change of Seasons***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. noboD

noboD

Good for you, John. That should make things easier on several fronts. But you do realize when you are working in one shop everything you need is in the other?

2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Yes but now it is only a minute to walk there instead of a drive across town! We are glad to be closer to my Mom. Chelle's mom is only a couple of blocks away also. now to unpack for a week and then get ready for the Hill Climb! We are getting real excited for this year
    !

ghornbostel, Dannerr and ROCKER77 like this.
  3. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

YUP GOT IT THANK YOU

5. Jim!

How many Herbert Johnson helmets do you have?

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

O'DAWG

I don't count them. There are just my helmet collection. I don't even remember the first helmet I got it's been that long. Along with the hats I have goggles too.

Only one replica .... my starter's gift from the Musical Watch Club. I wore it in the MM 84.....

Several are NOS. The come from all over. Each contains dreams of victory by the people that wore them but also by the people that watched them go by at speed. Even the kids that looked in the store window or at a magazine ad. So I sometimes buy them, sometimes given them, sometimes find them all over the world. I have never brought a helmet at auction. I have found old hats in junk shops and the back garages at sales. There is even an old Japanese Arai pudding basin up there. AGV's too and French and German along with the English stuff. Yes, the American helmets worn by not only dirt track, fairgrounds drivers but road racers too.
    Half dozen of those are my own that I used lifetime ago.
    I don't count them ....... never will.
    I do know I have only one Gilmore Red Lion flag. One Winfield sign. Counting those is easy I don't have to take off my shoes to count em.

Crazydaddyo, Jet96, Old Dawg and 2 others like this.
  7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

you'all have to nice of garages

8. I LOVE IT!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am very fortunate that My Grandpa and Dad bought that concrete building we call "The Annex" more than 35 years ago. They moved things out of 2 home garages and 2 storage spaces all over town. I am also fortunate my wife liked the house that came along with the other garage. LOL We are lucky property in Wyoming is affordable and easy to get.

10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

When we were looking for storage here. We found the old town's blacksmith shop. The shop is pre-WWI old German brick building with twin forge about 1800sqft. The it was a real mess. The fellow showing it to us said "You want to see the house?" Z and looked at eachother and said "HOUSE??" and the adventure begano_O
    Now our workshop is across a stone driveway.

Jet96, Old Dawg, Jiminy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bluto,

I completely understand about having the shop and house on the same property. It just makes so much sense.
    So, this Labor day weekend I spent making chips, not quite finished but ready for machining on the back side now. IMG_0401.JPG

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

John

That is very very nice, but you already know that. Have you ever shot-peened the outside to make the part look like a original casting?

13. Thank you Bluto, I will like it better when running........... progress takes time.

Yes, I have played with "artificially seasoning" welds to make them look like the original castings, if you know what I mean. It takes several different types of media and rocks to make it look somewhat correct.
    To me, alum castings always look the part if glass beaded to a satin finish, also makes them easier to clean.

Old Dawg likes this.
  14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Several size of steel shot at once. Wire brushed and then XIM aluminum spar varnish. All together look pretty legit. But I don't think you can buy XIM in California.
    For those out there that don't know glass shot sticks to aluminum castings and must be scrubbed off with lots of hot water and soap. I coat the insides off castings with brush on (not spray can) Rustolium Rusty Metal Primer to not only seal the surface but provide windage too. Tried Glyptol it's spendy and doesn't adhere as well.
    not-sure-if-its-glyptol-or-terracotta-red.jpg

15. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

John, as one who has been making chips for 60+years, I have to say that that's something to be proud of, and it takes character to put it on the inside, where no one can see it. But we know that it's there, due to you sharing the photo--
    Thanks!

16. Herb,
    Thank You for the kind words, it is a Hobby I really enjoy.
    Just another step closer to having the assembly done.

John

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20170907_084347380.jpg
    Got the Mallory machined up and on the banger. Still hunting for a tach. This is how the Cabby is going to the Colorado Hill Climb. OHV next year.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

GASSERBOB, Dannerr, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20170907_165850248.jpg
    Changed to these spark plugs. I'll see how they run. IMG_20170907_165945182.jpg
    They were made in the city I was born in and folks still live.

GASSERBOB, Dannerr, Old Dawg and 3 others like this.
  19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

NICE FIND!
    Please make sure you tighten the top nut IF NOT YOU INCREASE THE PLUGS RESISTANCE AND WILL DAMAGE THE COIL OUTPUT
    I remember a guy that kept having his mag rebuilt because these little nuts were not tight.

If you make another bumper nut on the cam cover you can drive a 2:1 tach off that spot
    AND there are a ton of nice old mechanical Tachs on Fleabay ;)

Old Dawg likes this.
  20. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

Anything unique about the chamber end of those plugs?

Herb

21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jimsky,
    Good information, I had tightened the nuts, but not knowing that. The Mallory dizzy has a drive and it will go either rotation. Fleabay has let me down lately. I'll be patient and follow a couple of leads.

22. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes,
    All you guys are on your game. That is why I like hanging out here.
    IMG_20170908_182137507.jpg
    I had my doubts about the functionality of these because of the configuration of the plug end. I don't believe that there was any science behind the design other than smoke and mirrors. The company that made these only has a short record of existence. Well the engine has a high speed misfire with them. I'm still tuning the engine for the hill climb along with breaking it in and getting some confidence in it. I pulled the plugs back out and put some Champion W16Y plugs in it. It lost the high speed miss but they miss at idle.

Jet96 likes this.
  23. question, how does the gap compare between the high-speed miss plug and the W16Y's?
    It looks too shrouded to me, but, many years ago it could have been to reduce fouling. Similar to a "cartridge fire design".

J

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Somewhere in my dusty brain I remember Stationary multi fuel engines. These ran at a, more or less, constant speed. If this plug is designed to run in one of those engines it would act as a glow plug when presented with enough modern gasoline and RPM's. This would cause the fuel to fire without any spark control and on it's own. Miss....

IS THIS WHAT YOUR HOLDING?

Just a thought

As always and with many things..... be careful what you stick were.:rolleyes:

The other thing is that older designed spark plugs and fail to spark under compression
    This tool was made to check plugs in that situation. With it you can pump up the pressure and check if the plug fires.

plug t2.jpg plug t1.jpg
    BUT I THINK ONE MIGHT BE HARD TO FIND

Dannerr, Herb Kephart and waxhead like this.
  25. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

Most of those early "oddball" plugs had to have some sort of a gimmick to encourage sales. That doesn't mean that they worked better, or even worked at all, but the ruse worked at least once, because in this case someone bought the set you have. What P.T. Barnum said--------

Herb

26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

that tester is cool

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I got that from an old mechanic in Munich. He still worked in the shop his Great Great Grandfather and was an old fellow when I first met him. I didn't speak much German at the time and he spoke little English but somehow we could understand each other. He had all the tools acquired for the shop for almost 100 years. He's go to cabinets get tools out to show me. Some I brought. Some he gave to me. He's gone now many years ago. I wish I had had the money to buy the entire place.
    That plug tester was attached to the back door of BMW's Racing Support Truck in the 1930's

Dannerr, Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I have had good luck with the E-3 plugs . had them in our drag bike & now use them in my "A"