Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 283 chevy exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salvarican, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Salvarican

Salvarican

So I have a 64 chevy c10 with and old rusted exhaust. I really want a good rapping sound like the old bombs. What is a good header pipe combo? Glass packs? I had an old 48 truck with a 235, Fenton headers and straight pipes and loved the loud obnoxious sound it made. Lol

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Big ass stereo, "I'm a dog with a cone, just wanna find a home like to rtun like to play like to lay around all day, ta da, ta da, ta da, da, da"

Oh not that kind of rapping. Get yourself some glass packs, probably 18"ers. 2.25 diameter tube should do it for ya.

henryj1951, Budget36 and manx4me like this.
  3. Muttley

Muttley

flatheadpete likes this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remove from the 283, install a 230 or 250 cu in 6 and you can have your obnoxious rapping back again. Sorry but your 283 will have the V8 sound what ever you do...

5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

true duals, 2" pipe, 18-24" glasspacks. When I was young we would get them real hot and shoot water at the mufflers to make them break down faster/get louder. That was before I was smrt.

czuch likes this.
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion

Get a pair of Walker Corvair turbo mufflers. The original turbo muffler, 2.5" in & out. Pure tone without all that blappity-rappity bullshit. Your 283 will thank you for it.

henryj1951 likes this.
  7. jimmy six hit it right on the head. v8 will never sound like the I six. A purer sound without the crossover or X pipe so prevalent today.
    A Chevy six is the best sounding dual exhaust you will ever hear.

Ben

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

HAHA,,, We filled glasspacks up with used oil then drove around at night to break em in.

9. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a buddy ran "purple hornies" on his chevy and it would "rap" with the best of 'em. they're the ones that bolt directly to the header collector.

10. 18"+ is too long, go for 12" or less and put them close to the engine.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  11. Summit Cherry Bombs will give you all the rap that you and your neighbors can handle.

henryj1951 likes this.
  12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Brockman Mellowtone mufflers. You can get them in many different lengths, get the shortest for the loudest, and in either glass, steel, or no packing in them. No packing for the most rap!

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I second Powerstick mufflers. I run a pair on my '50 Ford. 302/C4. 2 1/14" all the way to the bumper. It pops n crackles on deceleration but is nice and mellow at cruising speed...makes a bunch of racket on accel.
    And...Made in Michigan, like me! So you know they gotta be great!

Muttley likes this.
  14. upspirate

upspirate

Whenever I ran flared exhaust tips, they caused a rapping sound Exhaust - Curved flare.jpg

henryj1951 likes this.
  15. Funny the difference in language and its usage. When I was a kid rap had to do with Revs, "Will it rap?" meant was it a revver. "Man this bitch will rap tight." :D

We also used to try and figure out a way that it only got loud when it was rapped up tight. Excessive noise tickets were costly and a real pain in the butt. You could make one snap and crackle when you backed off if it by just drilling a 1/8" hole just in front of the muffler, even using stock mufflers.

But if you use about any glass pack and don't break them in properly the glass will blow out soon enough and then all you got is a wide spot on the exhaust pipe.

16. This is my worn out 283 with an Elgin 1785 cam, running out ram horn manifolds to 2" pipe to some Walker 24041 14" bodied glass packs, located in the rear of the '40 X member, to 1 3/4" tail pipes.

henryj1951 likes this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Haha, are you fumigating for mosquitoes! LOL!

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Jimmy Six is right, a V8 isn't going to have the same exhaust note as inline 6. But I think if you want the exhaust to rap, something similar to an L6, you need to go with glass packs toward the rear end of the truck, with a larger diameter pipe exiting from the back of the mufflers to the back bumper. Beaner posted something about drilling holes ahead of the muffle, that will add some popping in the exhaust on deceleration.

19. Engine had sat for 15 years. Rings have loosened up now, so it's mich better.

Blues4U likes this.
  20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Won't happen with a mouse motor. The sixes are the O.G. RAPPERS!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good lord I'm never gonna stop laughing at that

22. Budget36

Budget36

Gotta correct ya there....it was "wrap", long before rap..lol

23. martz5038

martz5038

I have a 67 C10 with a 283 went with 1 glass pack 12" and left the other side straight pipe. Go straight pipe you can always cut in a glass pack

Sent from my XT1635-01 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Salvarican

Salvarican

Do you have a video of it running Martz?

25. martz5038

martz5038

PM your number and I'll text you one, don't know how to upload it

Sent from my XT1635-01 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app