Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by enigma57, Sep 6, 2017.

1. enigma57

enigma57

Well, here we go again. Next hurricane is on its way and it is a bad one. 'Irma', a category 5 storm which has sustained winds of nearly 200 MPH and is as large as the state of Texas (nearly 2,000 miles across) thus far. Much larger and stronger storm than Harvey. One of the 5 strongest hurricanes in recorded history to impact America. The weather people expect Irma to make its way towards the US coastline and turn North somewhere near Florida. Its really too far away to know for sure where it will go. We will keep an eye on Irma for sure......

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...public-haiti-cuba-path-atlantic-a7931566.html

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/us/hurricane-irma-puerto-rico-florida/index.html

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/extremely-dangerous-cat-5-irma-storms-leeward-islands

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-irma

Here are some animated satellite weather radar links which will refresh and show current conditions each time you open them......

The area between Irma's present location and our own here in Texas......

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states-regional/pr/san-juan/animated

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states-regional/fl/key-west/animated

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states-regional/fl/saint-petersburg/animated

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states-regional/la/new-orleans/animated

Our thoughts and prayers for all impacted by this storm,

Harry and Family

chryslerfan55 and AVater like this.
  2. Yup, gonna be a wild ride for someone. Also watch Jose that is right behind Irma. If you're in Fla or on the east coast, look at the NOAA site every day.
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

chryslerfan55 and patmanta like this.
  3. My parents are home thankfully, but their 42' Grand Banks trawler is down in Puerto Rico. It's as prepped for a hurricane as it possibly can be, but they're still anxiously watching NOAA (among other marine sites) and the marina is rushing to complete emergency preparations.

We're supposed to be going down to St. Thomas in January to visit them on the boat for a week... but seeing the track of this Category 5, there might be some serious damage. The boat is fully insured of course (can be replaced), but thoughts are with the island folk down there. Seriously nice people, and I hope the loss of life and damage is as minimal as possible.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Been on the water all my life so we know to keep an eye peeled and take precautions. I was 5 when the first big one I can recall came by, Hurricane Donna in 1960.

5. enigma57

enigma57

Thanks, Bob! I will post the NOAA info from your link below.

[​IMG]

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/210044.shtml?cone#contents

Projected path of the storm as of this afternoon. If it does take this turn North, Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas will take a hard hit. Bear in mind that this storm is nearly 2,000 miles wide. The 'cone of uncertainty' indicated on this graph reflects where NOAA's computer model projects the eye or center of this storm to track. Other models shift the center farther West and have the eye passing anywhere from directly through Miami to hugging the West coast of Florida rather then the East coast.

Time will tell. Whatever happens, Y'all take care and look to your safety. Very few structures (especially residential construction) are constructed to survive a direct hit from winds near 200 MPH (think F4 tornado winds here). Not to mention rains and flooding. And if you are anywhere near the coast, consider tidal surge, as well.

Katia will make landfall in Mexico. Irma will hit the US. Hard. Jose is projected to turn North before reaching the US. We will see.

G-d bless,

Harry and Family

6. Mark Hysong

Mark Hysong

Might have to scoot the coupe over a bit to get the wife's BMW in the garage. Happy wife.....happy life in West Palm Beach

Stogy and stillrunners like this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

We're in the Florida Pan Handle between Panama City and Destin and sweating out Irma. If it looks like a direct hit we're out of here. Not much can survive a Cat 5 hurricane much less a coastal wetland community. Fortunately my 63 Impala is out of harms way in Kentucky.

Gary

mad mikey and stillrunners like this.
  8. morac41

morac41

Hi I dont know how you guys get through it all....please be safe...

9. enigma57

enigma57

[​IMG][​IMG] Gary, we have been through some direct hits from some very strong storms here in Texas and have stuck it out through all (except for the '83 hurricane, I had a premonition...... Sent my family off to Lufkin and our roof was in fact torn off by a spin off tornado)...... But if we were in direct line with an approaching Catagory 5 storm...... We'd be out of here by the morrow whether we could take my '57 with us or not (the old girl is up on blocks in our garage).

We have a well built home...... Typical wood frame, brick veneer circa mid '90s but honestly...... Short of a concrete bunker with walls several ft. thick either underground or with sod packed up around it...... I cannot imagine any structure withstanding close to 200 MPH sustained winds and even higher gusts. Especially a wood frame residence such as ours. And I used to do engineering plan reviews of large commercial developments following my being injured on a construction job many moons ago.

Best regards and stay safe,

Harry

Gman0046 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

as my B-I-L said, I build to code but the code is not category 5. The codes are much stronger for
    storm protection than the were but many buildings predate them, and all to many hacks are out there
    building/modifying homes just like they are modifying cars.

11. All of these storms are immense in size and velocity. Irma and Jose have the potential to be quite the 1-2 punch if the tracks overlap, which is quite possible. Sunday on the Island I will be covering my pool. A bit early but the cover did withstand Sandy in 2012 and I'd rather not be picking 2' of leaves and branches out of it. Got my 5-gallon gas cans ready to fill. Did some shopping and have extra propane. I'll have hot water as long as the gas stays on.

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My winter place is in Marathon, which is dead center in Irma's path. I'm glad I'm in Minnesota now, as far away from it as I can get. Luckily, our condo association decided to install "Hurricane-Proof" windows and doors in our units last spring. They are supposed to be good for up to 200 mph winds. We'll see. The big problem is the "Storm Surge". My caretaker down there says it may be as much as 15 feet with Irma. My building is on stilts, and I would estimate that our floor is 18 feet above sea level. That's almost too close for comfort. Perhaps we all may get lucky and the path will turn out to sea and miss everything. From the folks I have talked to down there, they are taking it very seriously and evacuating to shelters on the mainland.

13. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Hey, this might be a good time to bring up the fact that I have a 4 bedroom house with a four car garage for sale in NH. Seriously, travel Northwest when the wind picks up and the sun is out of sight. Good luck.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

enigma57, we lived in Kingwood, Texas in 1983 when hurricane Alicia came through. The damage was bad enough but the aftermath without power for a week was a real problem. Temperatures in the high nineties was brutal.
    Looks as if we might dodge a bullet with Irma here in the Florida Pan Handle as it appears to be turning somewhat to the east of us.
    Thanks for everyones concern.

Gary

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My Granddaughter is the manager of the Marriot Hotel in St. Thomas, and we got word from her that she and her family are OK yesterday evening but as of then they didn't know if they still had a house to call home.
    She, her husband and 2 boys rode it out at the hotel, along with hotel staff and the FEMA people who had already arrived before the storm. The hotel has a "hurricane proof" section for just this type of situation.

Bruce Fischer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. enigma57

enigma57

[​IMG]

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graph...ind+png/215356_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Gary, our home was just a short distance South of Highway 225 near where Pasadena and Deer Park city limits meet up when the 1983 hurricane blew through. Nothing to break the wind...... Just open fields and the highway between the chemical plants and our home back then. Twister gave us a custom skylight about 15 ft. each way. Took rafters and all.

Reagarding Irma...... The projected storm track has shifted slightly to the West and if it makes the North by NW turn as predicted, the Florida panhandle will take a hard hit. Look to your family's safety and remember, the 'cone of uncertainty' shown on the map there is NOAA's best guess at the location of the center of the storm. Last I heard, the storm itself is about the same sizes across as the state of Texas (about 1,800 miles). So factor that in as well.

Wish you all the best,

Harry

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  17. I've never seen a hurricane go right up the middle of Florida like Irma is projected to do... heading right to our very own Bruce Fischer!

18. Kenny P

Kenny P

First Harvey's devastation,
    then last night the strongest earthquake in a hundred years rocked Mexico, 8.2!
    Irma, one of the most powerful Atlantic storms ever, visits us this weekend.
    With another right behind her......
    Somebody pissed somebody off!

Be safe out there fellas.

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

It was looking like we were home free with Irma not going past Tallahassee which is 100 miles east of us. Not liking Irma turning to the west. I'm going to keep on top of the track today and if it looks to close for comfort we'll be out of here first thing tomorrow.

Gary

20. Russ Tee

Russ Tee
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Not looking real good for me in Everglades City, moved my model A to a warehouse in Naples, I wish I would have moved it more inland.

Sent from my VS985 4G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  21. Bob that's why I left Flordia and moved up here to East T.N and to a mountain top and now this. LOL.I just put a new blade on the chain saw just in case. You all stay safe out there and Bob no body surfing down your street again with out clothes on. LOL. Bruce.

22. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like it's now projected to go directly over my daughter's family in Bowling Green, KY. My prayers are with everybody in the path.

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

It will be passing our house sometime late Sunday as a cat 1 or 2 . I live between Ocala and the gulf.
    The long time over land will weaken it, but still a hurricane . At least it is not a cat 5.
    Taking a break from boarding up my windows and getting my shop ready.
    Moving back to Tn. is sounding better every day. Just need to find a piece of dirt to build my new shop on.

24. Awww Bruce... now everybody knows!

25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Bob: Pffftt.. pics or it's just a rumor... :D .
    I'll let others watch n report, though.
    'Cause what has been seen, cannot be unseen! 8( !
    Marcus...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My granddaughter and her family survived in the "hurricane proof" section of the hotel she manages in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, but as of today they still haven't been able o get back to their house to see what damage they have there.

27. 29moonshine

29moonshine

glad to hear this

28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, dom;
    ditto on the good news.
    Marcus...

29. Budget36

Budget36

Mercy, wish I could offer something to assist any or all, but all I can do is wish you all that you come out of this unscathed.

Best of luck to all that are in the path.

30. enigma57

enigma57

Glad to hear they are OK, Dave! Latest update......

[​IMG]

Projected storm track has shifted West a bit more. Center of storm looks to track along West coast of Florida now, curving a bit farther West as it passes through Georgia and eventually stalling and raining itself out in central Tennessee.

Y'all stay safe now,

Harry