Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Branch '46

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jun 5, 2017.

1. This is not a club coupe, this is a short door coupe. They have a lot more graceful roofline

2. I was lucky enough to park my 3 window deuce next to Toms coupe at the round-up on Sat. As I set there off and on that day I could not get over how the car was growing on me every time I looked at it. By the end of the day it had become one of my favorite hot rods of the event. This little ride was the complete driver, hot rod, rad ride that we all like.
    After talking to Tom about it I understood what all it took to get this look that drew everyone in for a closer look.
    Great photos by Tom Davison, and thanks for the story Ryan..

Malcolm likes this.
  3. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

It's one of those bitchin' rides that proves that often times the whole can be (FAR) greater than the sum of the parts. I dig this car so much!

4. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Same here.

5. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Loved this car from the first time I saw it

6. Flippin' love this car. It's a huge inspiration on my sedan build. Just right in every way.

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm aware, thanks. I was saying my preference is the short door in most cases, especially a 41.

8. Mike

Mike

Killer machine, and the entire Branch family are tops.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The first Hot Rod/Custom I saw in the late 50's as a kid was a white 46 tail dragger coupe that was nosed, decked and had a turquoise and white TJ tuck and roll interior. The guy had been stationed in the navy in San Diego and returned home to Nebraska with a real California Hot Rod. I can still see it in my memory cruising the streets of the local town on Saturday night. It started my Hot Rod fire. Always wondered what happened to that car?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

That car is just fuk'n right. And, maybe the sweetest couple in hot rod land own it. "The Branch '46" Will the hoity toity "THE" moniker ever go away? Jeezus Christ, I see "the" in front and I feel I need to pronounce Branch, Brawnch. And I KNOW that doesn't fit here at all. Whatever, back to the car. People always tend to say, in a well meaning sort of way, "it looks so simple" I have a buddy who ALWAYS says that about clean, sits right cars. Well, it takes a little bit of extra work, typically. Tom's car, is a stunner. Has the same punch to my chest that a bitchin' Cal Look bug had to me when I was 18.
    "The Branch '46"....indeed

11. It's the STANCE + the wheel/tire combo. That means everything. Any car can look cool properly stanced.

12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Chris --

A belated thanx for your answer to my question. And, for me, I like the long door version better now that you've pointed it out to me. I guess that's why Ford and others made so many models each year -- different models for different tastes.

13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heres a long door version with the "goofy roof" corrected. It was mine from a few years ago. Done right I think they can look as good as any of the other Ford coupes.

IMG_20130904_180344_464.jpg IMG_20130904_173408_596.jpg

14. A Boner

A Boner

Seems odd to not agree, but most old Fords can look good with someone who knows what they are doing, screwing with them. Tom knows what he is doing.....he has a good eye. I would take a coupe over a sedan any day.....the long door like Tom did it (hot rod) and the short door like the maroon one pictured (custom). Lowering either the front or the rear, is a good start towards making them look good as a hot rod or a custom.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  15. A Boner

A Boner

Here is a local long door stocker.....all it needs is a 3 or 4" dropped axle! Not going to get one though.....owner is a V8 club member.
    image.png

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  16. Gorgeous. Just perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. owen thomas

owen thomas

Sure is pretty. Looks just like the oneI had but my paint was better - metallic blue.

My first car was a ’47 Ford coupe bought June ’56 for $250 from a guy returning from the service in Germany. He bought and brought home an Austin Healy and put his Ford up for sale. 12,000 miles, in primer, skirts, duals, mild flathead, roll and pleats interior. No rust or dents.

Loved that car, drove it for three years, sold it to a friend who installed a Cadillac. Later, owned by my brother who put an Olds in it. Great car, in Jackson Michigan today I think.

I also later had a ’46 coupe and a ’47 convertible.

I’d love to have a coupe today, not chopped, all chrome trim on, stance jut like Tom’s car. I had whitewalls back then, not sure I’d do that today - does look good though.

18. My Ford with real patina, Some days I want to paint it then other days I don't, but change is coming in the near future in the form of a 40s mild custom look.

19. Jay71

Jay71

Stance and the car seems to be smiling when you look at it.

20. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Thats the perfect 46 Coupe, wouldn't change a thing on it.

21. tomtriumph

tomtriumph

upload_2019-11-2_9-45-39.png this is my my 46 coupe . family friendly. Grandkids can sit in back. "papa's cool car " per grandson 4 year old

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan and Keith, it just needs the '46 parking lamps and it's a '46 ! LOL. This coupe "sits" right, a big thing with the '46-'48 cars.
    You did what so many other builders don't do, and that is retaining the drip moldings. It's much more work, but with them, these coupes look "complete" if that is the right word. Besides, drip moldings are there for a good reason. This is a beautiful car, Bud !

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    GordonC likes this.
  23. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most folks don't notice the drip rails or understand how much more work it is to retain them. Thanks!

24. Nothing makes a big car look smaller than getting it down in the weeds.:cool: