Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Florida HAMBer's Check In

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gman0046, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

Hurricane Irma not looking too good right now. If a Category 4-5 is heading towards the Pan Handle I'm out of here and heading back to KY. We learned our lesson when Hurricane Alicia hit Houston when we lived there.

Gary

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Here's wishing your and your neighbors the best in this tough situation!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Marty S

Marty S
    from kentucky

Prayers for you and Florida! Hope this thing takes a BIG right turn,

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Waiting and watching . Got my boards ready for the windows. Got my gas tank full with some spare gas cans.

5. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

Prayers for you all. I just survived Harvey in Houston virtually unscathed. I wish you all the same fortune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Good luck over there. Get supplies now and for more than a couple days. That's what a lot of people here DIDN'T do!

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  7. Best to make your way home now....By the looks of it's projected path in all of the forecasts, the entire state looks to be effected. I'm still in Texas (from Ohio) as a responder and if it promises to be even half as bad as here...leave now.

8. Good luck Gary!!!!Bruce.

9. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I got 25 extra gallons of gas, ensured the generator runs good, got food and water, cash, and a plan to go inland if it comes to close to us. We should have a better idea of the path in a couple of days.

Bruce Fischer and Stogy like this.
  10. We are all set. Generator all ready if we need it. plenty of drinking water on hand. Nothing loose laying around

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  11. I've been in the deep since day two of Harvey and the only advice is to evacuate .

12. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

We plan to get supplies tomorrow and hunker down, Matthew gave us a scare, we fared much better than some around here.

13. 5window

5window

Wish you all the best. Don't wait too long to get supplies, or leave.

Bruce Fischer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

We are all hoping it will mostly miss us to the south. I am in Volusia county.

15. Hope ya'll stay safe,leave before too late and hope you don't get what Texas dealt with.

16. George

George

This one is unlikely to stall out.

Stogy likes this.
  17. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i am ready. then again i am northwest fl

Poh, Bruce Fischer and Stogy like this.
  18. Weather services are saying this could be the strongest hurricane ever in the Atlantic Basin. Don't take it lightly. Yesterday afternoon it had sustained winds of 185mph with gusts to an unbelievable 225! This kind of force doesn't just cause catastrophic damage, it can actually change the landscape and topography. Be alert and prepare as best you can. Prayers out to all in its' path.

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am 6 miles from the gulf. I called my customer to be ready to come and get his GTO out of my shop and take it inland to his place until after the storm. Going to drop all the trees that can reach my shop.
    I have already removed the trees that can reach my house.
    Have to worry about my 96 year old mother and her house in Crystal River. We might stay ,I have generator and supplies. I might go to relatives in Tn. Depends on track by tomorrow. If it turns north up the Atlantic side we will be fine. If it gets in the gulf we will be in trouble. We are relatively high ground where I live and no rivers close.

20. I lived on the coast of N.C. for a few years and 10 years in Flordia and saw my share of Hurricanes. We even had to go back down to Daytona Beach the day before Charlie hit when my daughter was on deaths bed{luckly she pulled thur} we were hunkered down in the hospitals lunch room {down in the basement and they had a generator}My daughter was on the 3rd floor and still had rocks come up and crack her windows. In the morning it looked like a war zone out side. No way would I stay with a cat. 5 storm. Prayers going out to all you staying. Bruce.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  21. And there is Jose right behind it, check the NOAA site, they track them all. That may swing north. Time to close the pool and fill the gas cans up.

22. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Watching weather reports closely. Really don't want to evacuate but may have to.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

We're pretty close to the Gulf and really close to Lake Powell the largest tidal lake in North America but not in a flood plain. Not too worried about flooding. More concerned about the high winds and the damage that will occur as we are in a very wooded area. Lots of big pines and live oak trees. One major concern is theres only one paved road into our coastal wetland community. Most of our neighbors including us plan to evacuate if need be. One of our neighbors is holding a Hurricane Party tonight and hope we may know some more on Irma's track by then. At least we know what the topic of conversation will be. Still hoping Irma will make a jog to the east. Also thankful my 63 Impala is not in harms way.

Gary

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  24. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

I have two brothers in florida one in Palm Beach area and one in Port St lucie. One just got the last two tickets on a flight to the west coast and the other is going to try and go to friends in Georgia that is if he can get out. Our prayers are west every one in its path. I cannot conceive of any thing of that magnitude

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Prepped my best today . Picked up anything that could blow away or cause damage. Took down my flag and packed it away. Last storm I forgot it and it got wet and snapped my pole off. Fixed it with roll bar tubing. If it turns north and goes on the Atlantic side we are staying, if it goes to the gulf we will probably go to Alabama.
    Test ran my generator for an hour today, and test fit all my plywood for the windows.

26. Hoping for the best for youse guys !

27. I have gas, extra food, ice and water. I will be putting up my metal storm shutters tomorrow (Thursday). Tie down a car on the trailer in the back yard and clean up the loose gardening stuff.
    All of the gas stations in my area of Lake Worth are OUT of gas. No water in any of the stores from here to Clewiston. My cars are full of gas, I will probably stay, it will be a parking lot if everybody tries to leave.
    Just hope the roof stays on.......

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

People are scared down here. 2 fist fights at local gas stations over people jumping line to get gas.
    One was a 75 year old man punched a young woman in the mouth for jumping ahead in line . He had to get out of line to go to jail.
    I was carrying a bottle of distilled water today to give it to a lady for her breathing machine and a guy offered me 20 bucks for it.
    The interstates north are almost parking lots and gas stations are out of gas so evacuation is iffy at this point. I would rather board up my windows and ride it out then be stuck in my truck on the interstate with 100 +mph winds blowing.

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

You might be better off on an interstate in 100 MPH winds then home at 175 MPH. The current track looks like we may dodge a bullet. We're between Panama City and Destin. Stay safe.

Gary

30. Chrome Moly Steel

Chrome Moly Steel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, fl

Well,this is going to be interesting. Looks like Irma is going right up the Florida peninsula. We are boarded up and waiting. Lee