Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Would you prefer a steel 31 coupe or a glass 32 five window?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at that rusty Model A Victoria out in front of the garage waiting it's turn I for one would have been/be a hell of a lot better off to have stashed the money away for a Wescott 32 roadster or tub body and a frame from Rusty here on the HAMB. I even gave great consideration to buying one of his frames a few years ago as that would have worked in with a trip to see the inlaws and hauling the frame back with me.
    I like real steel as well as the next guy but right now wheeling down the road in a finished hot rod that has "the look" be it steel or glass" sounds like a hell of a lot more fun than hoping that the sand blast guy knows what the hell he is doing when he blasts what I have for a body.

fourspeedwagon, Budget36 and BHRS like this.
  2. mod700rmk

mod700rmk
    from WA State
    1. Northwest HAMBers

mgtstumpy likes this.

3. Ha! True enough! I walk up and down Newbury Street with a ratty cardboard sign that reads "will work for a Model A". It's been 15 years and not one bite. Maybe if I showered...

Cool. I can see how that would work pretty well. Thanks for replying. Sounds like you've come across some good scores. Rock on.

I just like old stuff really, totally finished and polished hot rods, restorations or slick street rods don't do it for me personally (even I can appreciate them and the work involved)

Although someone locally was selling a glass '32 coupe recently that looked like it was from Fury Road. I really dug that one. I would buy that one and drive the hell out of it, damn the torpedoes.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    fourspeedwagon and rust runner like this.
  4. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

5. mrf69

mrf69
    from sweden

Model A

Skickat från min iPad med H.A.M.B.

6. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

No counterfeit money
    No Near Beer
    No stuffed tits
    No diet soda
    AND NO Fibre Glass cars.

1934coupe and rust runner like this.
  7. Real Steel for me

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. BHRS

BHRS
    from Texas

The only way I'd go with steel is if it's straight mostly rust free and mostly complete. I've been under a sand blasting hood more times than I care to remember. I've cut old tin in half to put two cars together to make one. Cutting out rusty panels and welding in new ones isn't as easy as it looks. With that said I'd prefer the A, but would pick the 32 just to avoid all the rust and decay. Getting a hot rod on the road sooner sounds better to me than years of welding and finding replacements for damaged or missing parts.

Budget36 and robracer1 like this.
  9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Fiberglass is for boats.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

rust runner likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm genuinely surprised at the responses here. So many prefer the Model A. I do too, but I thought I was alone. For the record, I'll take the steel A over the glass 32 too!

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I had the means to do so, I would not build a glass 32, nor would I pay to have one built. I could possibly see myself buying a finished car that was glass to cruise around in, but not for a keeper.

I would definitely have at least one Model A in my vast stable had I been born rich instead of handsomeo_O.

what was the question again?

scrap metal 48 and clunker like this.
  12. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

A body not made in 1932 is not a duce.
    This is a concept LOST on many.
    And a discussion better suited to a forum not dedicated to TRADITIONAL cars...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

rust runner likes this.
  13. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

When you walk into a show.....what car catches your eyes the most?....what will you walk across the parking lot to look at?...."Build that car".....don't get caught up in the steel or glass war.....nobody that argues which one is best will ever put a dollar into your build.........Tanner 3:16

14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Steel any day over glass, but that's me. Maybe one day I'll consider a glass car however I respect those who have them and appreciate how much work goes into them?

16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

This is a glass car I just saw and while he nailed the build with all the right parts and look unfortunately the first thing I thought was too bad its glass.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rust runner likes this.
  17. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Steel A. I have nothing against glass cars but the OPs question was one or the other.

18. 34Larry

34Larry

Well I was going to stay out of it with the exception of my post above. I maybe should do that. However....................seems like the general opinion favors steel over glass. So........... as I posted elsewhere I put my (steel)34 in our local Lyons club show, two weekends ago. It was its first showing after my 22 year rebuild of an old hot rod from the 50's. Now it is not perfect being a home built car and there were, (perfect?) professional shop built glass hotrods that out shined my toy for sure. One a 34 Street Beast, candy orange & yellow, chrome up the ying yang, a really nice duce roadster black base with outlandish flames and again a lot of chrome, especially on the blown Desoto hemi, and others also. Surprisingly (while I'm not in the awards game), my 34 garnered the " Extreme Power" plaque. I happen to know one of the Lyon judges who is a "car guy" so I asked " Rodger" why mine instead of one of the others. Not all the judges were car guys but he said it was because mine is steel as decided by the judges that were car guys. Steel seems to rule amongst most in the hobby and those of us that are lucky enough to have steel sure need to appreciate that.
    BTW I do appreciate glass and all the hard work by the builders, and they surly can be so pretty, and I'll never put them down. I have proposed for along time separate classes for home built, and professional and for steel and glass hotrods. I also am a proponent of no trophies, plaques, and absolutely doing away with those damned stupid dash plaques, ( I pitch all those the scrap metal recycle pile). Just my opinion. BTW the Lyons sure do a great job raising money and putting on a a great show

clunker likes this.
  19. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

32 --32 --32

20. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

This a picture I found, and it's what I'll walk across the parking lot to look at...It's nothing like what I drive, but it's what I'd love to have as a driver............ 31q.jpg

iwanaflattie likes this.
  21. would probably lean toward the A coupe, but I am just not a deuce guy.

Being glass would not be a problem for me though, full interior and don't advertise.

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I get this from 'the great unwashed', as Morty would call 'em.
    They are all over my F100, then say, "Nice F100...Too bad it isn't a Chevy!" (whatever THAT is!)

Just Gary likes this.
  23. There used to be a guy back here that did all the goodguys shows with a primered deuce roadster. it was like a time capsule all the way down to the old rolls and pleats. The only thing on it that was not original old hot rod or Ford was the glass roadster body. Most guys never figured it out it was that well orchestrated.

24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

"Steel is real"

Pat

25. Unless its a corvette. LOL IK still want a steel corvette, I mean hell if you can buy a glass deuce you should be able to buy a steel corvette right?

pat59, Ned Ludd and 1934coupe like this.
  26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

porknbeaner would an aluminum one do.

Pat

27. Hell, yeah! Equal rights for steel to 'glass and 'glass to steel! Lol!

porknbeaner likes this.
  28. Why don't you use a model A body a 32 frame , 32 hood , 32 grille

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TANNERGANG and Runnin shine like this.
  29. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

30. ratrod0

ratrod0

32 all day long