Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Personalized License Plate

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Summershandy, Aug 29, 2017.

1. I've always used the pot luck, generic issue plates but years ago I had one of those plastic, imitation plates made that are vac molded on the spot at a vendor booth. I sometimes switch it in for photos or car shows.

No photo. (Thank you Photobucket) I was living a bachelor lifestyle at the time and had discovered that the ladies loved guys who could dance...... so I learned...... and the fake plate is 2STEP...... which is also a sometimes nickname and frequent screen name on a lot of other forums.

2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

My year old grandson always pointed at everything and said "what's that?".

Attached Files:

3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Didn't one of the mainstream car magazines print unusual personalized licence plates on its back cover back in the 70s or 80s? I recall seeing it when I was pretty young. It seemed you could sneak a lot more past the DMV censors back then.

4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL - I was rolling into a cruise in a while back, sitting waiting to turn onto an empty side street that ran along the backside of the cruise and up to an entry point. I turned off the main road and lit them pretty hard, grabbed second and pulled the front wheels a bit etc. I came back, pulled in and parked. A crowd sort of gathered around the Austin and a fellow said something very similar to me.

Resized_20170905_113746.jpeg
    He said cool car but if you are going drive it like that on the street I would get rid of the personalized tags, they are much easier for someone to remember if they are turning you into the police.

Resized_Screenshot_20170820-093405.jpeg
    I kind of laughed and said, "You really think they are going to see the tag?!" LOL Sometimes there is no flying under the radar no matter how hard you try! You might check with your State, as Missouri had a website where I could check availability of the tags before I ordered them. That is the one bad thing about personalized tags, if you come up with something, it is very likely that someone has beat you to it.

5. LOL I was coming up with bredocho and couldn't figure it out. :oops:

Me and my close friend Juan Carlos from Alameda convinced a hippy guy from the other side of the bay that he should letter Mariposa on his tank once. He still laughs about it an that was at least 40 years ago.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have ventured into the ego plates a few times over the years, they now reside on my garage bathroom wall. Examples from the sh!t house wall of fame;
    on a '35 5 window with '36 fenders and grille, 30SMTHN (popular tv show back when I built it)
    on my Olds still, 4FORE2, as I am just as avid a golfer as I am car guy and that puts my hobbies together
    on a 69 Corvette, 69VETTE, self explanatory
    on a 2010, STC-V, 560 HP Caddy, 4DRZ06. Also self explanatory :cool:
    on a Mercedes AMG CLS55, AVDERZN, phonetically German for See Ya!
    on a Harley, BLZN7S, named in honor of the slot machine in Vegas which paid for most of that scooter

My state allows us to run one plate only, on the rear, license tag in the year the car was made so I prefer those vintage plates these days. And we only have to pay to license them once. Thank you Olympia!

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Perfect!
    I want that 210.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

How about:

54 PONTY

9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Butterfly? That's pretty cold, Beaner. Did the guy mention that he could not figure out why he was getting his ass beat on a regular basis?

10. The guy actually thought that it meant butterfly. It is one of those words with dual meaning so to speak. :D He did stop coming around us, I always wondered if he moved up to Hyde Street.

My friend Vic in New York said that there was a guy that they all called finocho ( like fanook). He says that the guy always thought that it was Italian for Pinocchio (which it kind of is LOL) and thought that was cool. I hope he never got vanity tags that said that.o_O:eek::D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  11. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, yes, the Urban Dictionary is my friend.

12. LOL

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YOM = Year Of Manufacture. For a lot of guys it is the hot lick to run plates that show the year model your car rolled out of the factory. To me that is great is you have a stone stock restored car that looks exactly the way it did (or should have) the day it originally rolled off the dealer's lot. What bugs me now is that I see billet laden 70's cars (over X years old) with YOM plates along with their 20 inch billet wheels. Or I see rods or customs built to look period correct for the late 40's 50's or early 60's with YOM plates. When My truck is done and It hopefully looks like it could have rolled out of a custom shop around 1958 I don't really want 1948 plates on it. The only thing 48 about it is the left front fender now as everything except that fender has been changed at least once.

Stogy likes this.
  15. In Missouri you can actually just put old plates on according to what I have learned from the DMV. They consider them the same as a vanity plate and you send the state a pic of the plate in question. So on a modified car you could actually tag it to the era instead of the manufacture date. It would be lost on the und=educated but to those of us who know it is T Rad. ;)

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

"MR 800" for 800 Louvers... **clic pic** MR 800 for sale 010.JPG MR 800 for sale 014.JPG

mgtstumpy, Fern 54 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  17. tofords

tofords

18. Michael Crown

Michael Crown

I got "29 TUDOR" for my sedan. Honestly could not believe it wasn't taken.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, wait a minute! You cruise in a badass highboy roadster,,,,yet you want to fly under the radar???????? You could run NO plate and draw no more attention than you already do. We drive cool cars, KoolKat. Control yourself and don't do anything stupid. It's not an easy thing to do, but we have to try really hard. LOL

deucemac likes this.
  20. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

There was a time when you could run those plates and no one would bother you about them. These days, those plates are going to offend someone (especially on a white car) and before you know it, pics of you, the car and the plates will be posted all over the net, the news and you'll be labeled a "Neo-Nazi White Supremacist" and will be facing hate crime charges. I'd pass if I were you, even if you happen to be American Indian yourself.

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are right on, WZ JUNK. I display YOM plates on my Deuce because it is so much cheaper than current ones, and I don't like the antique version that Texas offers. In general, law enforcement here doesn't hassle streetrodders/hotrodders unless you blast by one because they are too busy dodging bullets from crazy assholes trying to killl them. Some states are not so friendly to their rodders with or without unusual plates.

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does pan ocho mean male pussy?

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Occasionally, I'll see plates on a rod which match the car. Although that is illegal, I have never heard of anyone getting pinched for it. Plates for '32 in Texas are John Deere green with white figures, not necessarily attractive but unique.

j3harleys likes this.
  24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please get rid of those personalized plates ASAP ! Then you can smoke the tires 'till they melt and no one will notice. WHAT ? Love your Austin. Is is actually fairly street legal ?

25. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Zora would be proud.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with @Mr48chev YOM plates is the systems great idea which as he said really makes sense for an original car. It would make more sense to run plates of our choice as long as numbers clear for what we feel is the correct period of our vehicle. I would have wanted to run 1962 plates which would in our thinking be period correct (my assumed period). This Hotrod I drive sure wouldn't have looked this way in 1929 so YOM is a poor compromise. The cost of YOM is high and you have to buy the plates which can be high dollar as well. As long as the plate number is clear your ownership says what year your vehicle is. This whole YOM thing could benefit from and overhaul in common sense.

At the end of the day as eluded this Hotrod stuff we are into is about fun so personalized plates can compliment your build as it is an option and even cheaper than YOM. YOM is a compromise as is the personalized plates so take your pick...;)

By-the-Brook1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  27. wsdad

wsdad

Some street racers try to make their plates hard to remember like, "XKKXXKK" or "MWMWWNW."

When our brains see a word where all but the first and last letters are jumbled, it automatically tries to "correct" it. For instance, "PINOTAC" or "CERVLOEHT"

Maybe this phenomena could be used on a licence plate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

My Son's neighbor is an older lady who used to do a lot with horses.
    When she retired from the horse gig a few years ago, I asked for the plates.
    She wouldn't give them up. Too bad for me.
    QCK CHNG

Stogy likes this.