Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Keith Weesner Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Burton, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

If you dont know this car your either too young or not into hot rods. Keith had built this car about 25 years ago when most of us were just trying to figure out our lives. The Choppers car club cars and Keith's roadster had a impact on many future hot rodders. For many many years Keith drove it as he built it always wanting it to be finished, like most of us still.
    Fast forward 20 years and unfortunately the Car was in a terrible accident with fellow Chopper Aaron Kahan driving. The roadster lost its brakes and Aaron got T-boned in a intersection and flew from the car. Fortunately for Aaron his injuries were not to severe, the roadster however got crushed up pretty bad. A lot of folks at the Mooneyes car show that morning were in shock including myself. As the morning went on before i had left the show I told Keith to get his roadster back from the tow company and bring it to my shop as I had plenty of space and it would be safer there than in some tow yard. At that time I had no idea that car would be in my life for any amount of time.
    Fast forward again Keith had asked me if I wanted to work on it and of course I said yes. So thats what we did. Every ounce of energy put forth was to keep it original with some upgrades. for a long time we searched for original quarter panels and one frame rail to replace the concave body. It was a slow project and we were in no hurry to get it done. Keith wanted it original. So one day I said Fuck it Im gonna try to straighten the frame. then i moved to the panel. We got the car back together and then between time and money and life the project sat for some extended time. We would work on it a bit here and there.
    Finally we had decided to give it a deadline. we decided a local car show would do the trick. So in a mad 30 day thrash I completed the car and delivered it to Keith a few days before the show. For me this was a win as I gained some long needed space in my shop. I had flat trailered the car to his house and parked up the street because I didnt want him to see it on the trailer for the first time since finished. So I Drove it up to his door step and Keith walked out in shock... The first words from his mouth were, " It looks just like I had always imagined it would" In my mind it was the best thing i could have heard for my efforts.
    Over the next few days I was just so happy for Keith to have his roadster back, I still am. the following Friday I met Keith at his house in my roadster so we could drive together to the Ventura Nationals and it was quite a site to follow him enjoying his roadster.
    Over the weekend I had heard so many stories about how Keith's roadster is why they wanted to have a hot rod and how they have always loved his car and to finally see it again... It was pretty cool for me to be a part of it and to have such a good friend in Keith.
    Thank you Keith for letting me be a part of this adventure!
    Oh yeah did I mention Keith won Best Hot Rod of the Show. What a great day for Keith all around....

Attached Files:

2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Nice to see back on road.

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perfect. More photos! interior, close up on the flathead, anything. This is right up my alley...wish it was right in my driveway. Can you tell me what color that is (please don't say maroon).

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice lookin' Rod.

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

So perfectly right on! Can't wait to see it!

7. Bless them Model A Fords.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

'""If you dont know this car your either too young or not into hot rods."""

strange, I don't feel very young.

9. Man, I just absolutely love that maroon color!

10. exterminator

exterminator

11. :)Great job! And on a perfect Hot Rod. I have always liked it. And I also like Keith's Art work too. To me the best part of {Hot Rods}, is how everyone helps each other out when needed. I glad that Aaron was okay , and now the roadster is back too. You can always rebuild a Rod, but not so much with people. So again Thanks for the good news! Ron...

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Lucky. For Keith...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Great work Lucky! It has been cool watching the progress happen on that car each year at your open house during the Grand National Roadster Show. Its been a huge influence on me as I'm sure it has been to others. Does this mean you'll be finishing up your Chrisman Bros style Model A coupe?

For those that didn't see it, here it was the day it was wrecked. Well done Lucky!

weesner.jpg

14. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Good story with a bad middle and a great ending. Both you guys are excellent artists.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  15. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Liked it with the rattle can maroon paint....like it even more now. Cool hot rod!
    Big pic....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  16. Nice! Met Keith a couple times in Vegas. A cool dude, deserves it!

17. brady1929

brady1929

Incredible roadster. What color is it? A ford color?

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats to both of you - to him for finally getting his dream back on the road, along with the award - to you for staying dedicated to seeing the project through, and for you to share in the proud moment of getting the award

19. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Thank you guys! For those asking it's a 1940 Ford Maroon paint

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

sidevalve8ba and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story that could have been much, much nastier. Better this time around. Lucky's was definitely the place for this Hotrod to be resurrected no pun intended.

Lucky Burton likes this.
  21. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Well deserved win. Beautiful roadster.

22. Never2low

Never2low

Soooooooo much Awesome!!!!!!

23. Here are a couple photo's I took at the show, nice job Lucky !

Living the dream Keith. IMG_2080.JPG IMG_2081.JPG

24. I'm into hot rods but don't know that car, (I even lived in So Cal in the 90's).

But I do now. Cool car, you did an unbelievable job reviving it. You're like the Gandalf of sheetmetal.

I dig Keith's paintings a lot. As much as I like Coop's.

Cool story, thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lucky Burton likes this.
  25. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

that car should have a picture of it in Websters under hot rod. beautiful design, repair, and most of all
    a beautiful story.

Lucky Burton likes this.
  26. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

The roadster turned out beautiful and even better than I remember it in faded years past... great job Lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Lucky Burton likes this.
  27. I was at the mooneyes show being a roadie for Hot Rod Trio when we heard the news. So glad to see this car back on the road.

28. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Great car! I have seen a few pics of this on Instagram. Glad to see a few more.