Register now to get rid of these ads!

History J T Cantrell & Brother: Designer and Builder of Wood Station Wagon Bodies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JB36LaSalle, Sep 2, 2017.

1. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

Hello All,

A friend of mine has a large collection of early 1920's Dodge cars and trucks. The other day he asked me if I could somehow reproduce what looked like a water transfer decal of the company that made the body for his 1924 Dodge Canape truck. I said I'd do some research and in doing so came across some interesting articles about the company, J T Cantrell & Brother of Huntington, Long Island, that built the body on his Dodge.

http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/b...turers_body_builders_2_j.t._cantrell_of_hunti

Apparently, they got the whole "woody" thing going and made bodies for Ford, Dodge, Buick, Olds, Packard and many others as well from the teens into the fifties.

This brings me to a question for all the H A M B ers out there; does anyone know where I could get a clear image of the J T Cantrell & Brother logo to reproduce something for my friend's Dodge? It was placed in the center of the header board above the windshield.

The best I could find on the Inert-Web was this:

[​IMG]

Not sure if that is a bullet hole but it shouldn't be there.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Hope you enjoy the article.

Thanks, Jim

2. noboD

noboD

Jim, first of all, welcome to the HAMB. I can get you a very good image from a friend's Cantrell. BUT, only if I can buy about 10 of your decals when you are finished. You did say water transfer, right? Doug

banjeaux bob, Stogy and wraymen like this.
  3. elgringo71

elgringo71

This isn't what you are looking for but is related to it and will keep things moving

IMG_5233.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  4. yep...seen the various makes....had a hard for a Studebaker passed on the R series trucks....most were made up north I believe....

5. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

"Jim, first of all, welcome to the HAMB. I can get you a very good image from a friend's Cantrell. BUT, only if I can buy about 10 of your decals when you are finished. You did say water transfer, right? Doug"

Hi Doug, thanks for the welcome and thanks elgringo71 for adding that piece.
    I'm pretty sure it's a water transfer type of decal Doug and not something that was stamped onto the wood. I'll post a picture of what I have later today. If I can get some made, I will gladly have some extra ones made up for you. I'll have to do some research as to who can make up the decals. I have a friend who could probably make them in as vinyl stick on. Anyone here who has some suggestions or recommendations please feel free to chime in.

Thanks to all. This H A M B thing could get addictive.

"I hear and I forget
    I see and I remember
    I do and I understand"( .....well, most of the time)
    Confucius

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. noboD

noboD

I asked my buddy for a picture. He sent me to Epay where someone already has repops for sale. Vinyl doesn't look as good as water transfer, looks too new and fake like base clear paint on a 30's car. Vintageautoliterature has the ones on Epay. I will be contacting them in the AM, think they are about $7. Cantrell, as you probably already know has an interesting history. Stay in touch if this doesn't work out as I am interested in water transfers. doug

7. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

I couldn't find the repros Doug. Could you send me a link? I attached a photo of what I have to work with.

Thanks, Jim P1070940.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  8. maybe you can blow this up to help

[​IMG]

JB36LaSalle likes this.
  9. Hmmm, just noticed that the repro doesn't have "Brother" in the ring... Still shouldn't be hard for someone with some artistic ability to make what you need.

JB36LaSalle and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JB those are two different logos as Mac says one has Brother and one also has a drop-down extended area at the bottom. I would suspect numerous minor changes yearly and client requirements per model. Bottom line is reproduce the correct one and the bullet hole one is the catalyst.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    JB36LaSalle likes this.
  11. upload_2017-9-4_22-37-34.jpeg

Here's another that might help- can't seem to find one that has the "Brother" in it yet!

JB36LaSalle likes this.
  12. I know company not brother

[​IMG]

JB36LaSalle likes this.
  13. located above left rear side window 1939 Packard

[​IMG]

JB36LaSalle likes this.
  14. might help with the confusion.

In 1913 he invited his younger brother Albert to join him as a partner. They conducted business under the name J. T. Cantrell and Brother. In later years, the brothers took a third partner, George W. Ruland.

[​IMG]
    1924 J.T. Cantrell & Company 'Suburban' Bodies

in May 1926 the new factory was completed. The firm was now operating under the name of J. T. Cantrell and Company.

http://www.oldwoodies.com/feature-build-cantrell.htm

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    JB36LaSalle and Stogy like this.
  15. noboD

noboD

Thanks Mac. So the one advertised MAY be the right one? My buddy's is a '27 DB. I will ask if his has Company or Brother. Why must everything be so complicated?

Stogy and JB36LaSalle like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty darn rare crest/decal that is. They made at least one we know now and JB's got it...

JB36LaSalle likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JC_Cantrell-and_Bro_Mod_Stogy.jpg

:rolleyes:
    Some Inspiration

So yes with a real good scan and some intense editing things are achievable and the waterslide decal thing or on clear vinyl would be the medium of choice.

The art of the past...love it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    JB36LaSalle likes this.
  18. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

Wow! You guys are the best! Thanks to all for the added information. What a resource. I hope I can contribute to the knowledge pool here in some way too.

Today's graphic advertising can't compete with the ad departments from the early part of the last century. Many adverts are works of art in themselves, even for the most mundane products.

That's perfect stogy! I'll see what I can do with it.

elgringo71 and Stogy like this.
  19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is indeed water slide medium for decal reproduction. I'm told it can be printed from a computer just like pictures or select vinyl types. No idea on cost and I haven't looked too deeply into the idea, but it sure gives me ideas.

edit: There's this so there must be others...

http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/your-artwork-custom-waterslide-decal/

20. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Fellow HAMB'er Jimbol7 does reproduction decals. If you can get a suitable sample you might try him as far as getting it copied.
    nostalgicracingdecals.com

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JB I just did what you see here with a low resolution image. I do however suggest you get a higher resolution image or an actual decal to perform the graphic work from to create your desired final proof for reproduction.

22. noboD

noboD

JB36LaSalle, I just received one of the decals from the guy that has them on epay. It is just like the one Stogy posted, white letters not gold. They are old repros, name is on the back who reproed them. Looks very good. Think they had about 6 or 7 of them. There will be a suburban like Mac the Yankee posted pics of at Hershey this year.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@noboD put one of these @ like this in front of @JB36LaSalle and he will get a notification immediately...;)...you mean you found clear decals with the & brother reference. If so that is great.

24. noboD

noboD

Thanks @Stogy didn't know that. Why does my @ look different? At least it looked different until I posted the reply. Dam computers! No, guess I lied. It says Company like the one HJmaniac posted. Do you or anyone else have any idea as far as year for each one of the different styles?

25. noboD

noboD

I found the answer on the coachbuilt site. It was Bother first then changed to Company in 1925.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tend to think those with & Brother are even rarer than the car itself.
    My thoughts are someone may have to recreate it by scanning with & Company editing to make it & Brother. The one I did was from a low resolution image so it looks okay on screen but it may not reproduce as decals well.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  27. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have some ink jet printable water slide decal paper here. Print it. Spray a coat of Krylon clear on it to seal the ink. Wet and slide. Works pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

banjeaux bob likes this.