Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Small automatic trans for little hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Sep 3, 2017.

1. NAES

NAES

Hey everyone. I've been slowly building my '27 and running into space management issues real quick. We all know there isn't a ton of room inside one of these little suckers and after fitting a 302 up front, I'm looking for a small automatic trans to back it up. Currently I have mocked up a Ford AOD which came with the engine and man that thing is big! While I do like the idea of having OD, I am thinking I may need to sacrifice that for space savings. The C4 looks like it would be a good option but I don't have one to mock up. Any other suggestions for something to throw in there?

The intended use is cruising around SoCal to various shows/events. No frills, low buck kinda fun. No drag racing or beating on it. I have a pretty light foot as compared to many out there.

Thanks everyone. NAES

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

C4 is probably the way to go. Set the rear end ratio to make it happy. 3 speed automatics were used in most cars during the 60s-70s, we did ok with them. they still work ok, if you set your expectations at "hot rod" level, not at "modern fancy new car" level

firstinsteele, jp52 and trollst like this.
  3. jp52

jp52

Had a c4 in my 351w powered Torino and beat that thing hard. It had a shift kit and it outlasted the rest of the drivetrain

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. i'm not a ford guy......would a C-3 be smaller? i think ford made one for V-6's. would it bolt to a sbf?

5. atch

atch

Well, I'm not a ford guy either, but if space is the issue would one of the old 2-speed fordomatics work and be smaller? High gear would still be 1-to-1. Do they have the same bolt pattern as a SBF?

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Go for the C4 where space is a big deal use the car unit with the dip stick tube in the case. Truck units came with the stick in the pan and had larger bellhousings for a 12" converter instead of an 11" a C5 is a C4 with a lockup converter. C3s were for 4 and 6 cylinders not mated to SBFs. The 2 speed FordOmatic died in 64 so no 6 bolt bellhousings.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  7. squirrel

squirrel

the old 2 speed from the late 50s/early 60s isn't smaller, and it won't fit the 6 bolt bellhousing on the 302

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

P/G and an adapter? Is a c-4 smaller than a glide?

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Or maybe go stick shift?

10. From what I recall the older ford FMX transmission has a smaller case, HRP

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Danny,

my recollection is the FMX is a bit larger. IMO, the 'case fill' C4 is an excellent choice for the OP's application.

Ray

12. The C4 is the smallest box of all the slush boxes that we would be using. It is probably the best fit and like Jim says set your gears ratio for cruising.

13. NAES

NAES

Thanks everyone! C4 it is then. And thanks for the tip on the dipstick location.

Time to scrounge one up somewhere.

NAES

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

firstinsteele likes this.

14. I stand corrected,the memory ain't what it use to be. :rolleyes: HRP