Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 Plymouth

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CGuidotti, Sep 2, 2017.

1. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

I have a 33" Plymouth five window coupe that' I have been storing for 25 years. I think it's finally time to get it out and get started. Kicking around a few ideas. Would love to see some others that are in the build process. I'm thinking a 3" chop, no fenders, artillery wheels on bias ply style tires, and retain the Plymouth grill and hood. Plymouth frame or 32" ford ? Engine ? Definitely not a small block chevy. Not sold on a Hemi (expensive) ? Have a 383 big block ? Kind of want to stay a little more traditional on the engine. Let's see your builds

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oliver westlund likes this.
  2. Why would you consider a '32 Ford frame? The Plymouth frame was designed to fit the body, and it's a sturdy well-engineered frame. Driveline swaps will be easier on the Plymouth frame which has parallel leaf springs front and rear. I had a friend in high school back in the late '60s who had a '34 Plymouth sedan. He had an early '50s
    Rocket 88 Olds engine in it. The car had belonged to someone in his family who was a rural route mail carrier, special ordered with right hand drive. Wish I had some pictures of Ken's old Plymouth. He died years ago, and I don't know what became of the '34 Plymouth.

3. 34 plymouth fenderless.jpg
    this one aint bad
    the engine and stance is killer
    I would recommend moving the firewall back a few inches
    this would help the proportions, and allow the grill to be moved back a little
    these cars can spare a little leg room
    I like the roof not being filled on this one

4. does yours have the cool wavy mopar front axel

5. this came up under a 34 Plymouth search
    interesting

33 ply.png

6. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

Just tossing around a few ideas. Would have been cool to see some pictures of the sedan, sounds like a nice car

7. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

My fenders are on the rough side. Thought I would mock it up with out fenders a see how it looks. I think the front fenders on the Plymouth coupe are out of proportion, they look like elephant ears haha

8. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

Nope, no suspension just frame and body

9. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

volvobrynk and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

Not sure about channeling it. I think it would look better un-channeled and a slight roof chop

oliver westlund and kiwijeff like this.
  11. I have a friend that needs a good left front fender

12. looked ford at first, but the cowl area is definitely diffrent
    curviving the lower part of the car really changes the look
    the mopars look too flat when not funning fenders
    and the hood and grill looks great

13. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

Mine fenders are on the rough side, and they made a couple different ones. Can't remember what model coupe mine is. I'll have to research that again.

14. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

My wood braces must be gone. It would be great to see a picture of the ones you made. Didn't know it had braces

15. I have some pictures of them in my photos here on the HAMB

for some reason, that's the only pictures in my photo album

16. and a properly dressed 383 would look cool

17. Maybe you could post up a few pics of the car. Interior and exterior. Sounds like a nice ride.
    But a 32 Ford frame? What?
    We better see the pics before you make a tragic mistake.................................

18. exterminator

exterminator

Wish you would consider leaving the fenders on even if you had to go fiber until you found some good steele ones. A local guy here took his fenders off and it doesn't look as nice. Will admit those couple pictures that Myrick posted looked good! My unasked for opinion.

19. raymay

raymay

20. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

fenders

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Buddy from Kingsport, TN. told me of a local preacher that moved there from NH. , he told of a TEE bucket and a '32 fiver body... the TN. buddy and his brother went to NH. to get them... called me on his cell to tell me the 2 cars were gone but there was a '34 ford................ call dropped at that point...
    so i went to NH. with a buddy to check out a '34 ford, there were 30 other bodies that were tucked into the riverbank to help stop erosion... not a ford but a '33 Plymouth cabbie... local buddy went back and got it... there was another just like it under it... he went back for the other one but the land had been sold... new owners want the bodies left where they are... bummer.
    maybe take your canoe and camera down the river just downstream from the bridge in Lancaster, NH. not too far from Mc D's ...
    please post the picks..

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. earlymopar

earlymopar

I don't know why anyone chops one of these coupes. As-designed, they are already in correct proportion and look IMO far better than a 32-34 Ford. Yes, leave the fenders in too.

- EM

23. I was a no vote on fenderless, mainly because the mopars proportions look bad with just pulling the fenders
    however, with the proper metal work, stance and not stretching the WB I think it definitely can be done
    the stock roof looks great on fendered cars, but a mild chop would look cool without the fenders

24. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

Are these steel fenders, and are they for sale. I'm not sure what model my coupe is. I know they made different fenders.

26. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

glass fenders are avail. Here's a few pics as hiboys. One stock frame and the other a deuce frame with Ford front susp. 33DodgeRoadster (1).jpg Brown450 (1).jpg

27. doliak

doliak

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is my dads 33 that weve been working on had to widen and stretch the chassis to fit the mopar but i think 32 frames look way cool under them the originals are ugly as can be.

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

I love it ..,that is the look I want. Would like to see more pictures. What are you guys using for power train.