Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Rustoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonBerkosky01, May 5, 2017.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

Excellent! If you ever feel tired and burnt out, remember that feeling occurs after most of the work is done and you are nearing the finish line.

2. I got a chuckle from that one. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. I am feeling the burn. I needed a little break so I started the engine swap on my truck. But I am running out of time. Once my uncle starts restoring his superbee he's not doing any more of my pieces. So I have to get this last fender done.

4. I found some pictures of the 56 I've been robbing sheetmetal from. Like I said the car is long gone.
    The first image is from the 70s. It was in perfect shape. But my dad said the previous owner lost the title. He said that was basically a death sentence for a car back then especially a 4 door.
    Next to it is my 55/56 half breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's how it looked when me and my buddy were about 14. We would go sit in it and pretend to shift

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is when I was about 17. The borough finally said it had to go. My uncle said to take it and do what I want with it. So I stripped it to the bone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Great job BB01!I'm loving this!

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Doin' great! Keep it up.

8. I'm glad I saved all these paper templates.
    Just had to refer to section E sub chapter Q for the lower fender repair templates.

Once this fender is done I'm going to get on to taking apart the front subframe. Change all the bushings and balljoints. Then I can get it back under the car and she will be a roller again!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

its always a good feeling when it will roll

12. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

That looks great!

13. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Your tog welding is looking better. Too early to say which you like best,tig or mig or need both?

14. Having both is nice. Spot welding with tig takes 4 hands unless the situations are ideal like in a YouTube video or on American chopper.
    The tig is super clean. It leaves little to be ground and filed compared to the mig.

I would say rough it out with mig finish with tig.

brEad likes this.
  15. Fender number 2 is really flying. I think I had 40-50 hours in the first fender. I don't think I have 10 hours in this one. A lot of it is memory. I don't have to figure it all out like I did on the other one. I just repeat and change anything I thought was a bad idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I have a feeling that this thread is inspiring people to save cars and body panels that they would have discarded in the past. Thanks for all your work, and thanks for sharing it with us.

matt-miles, brEad, low budget and 3 others like this.
  17. Thanks. I really enjoy posting and hearing from you guys. Its really cool to think my build may have helped someone.

Peanut 1959, wvenfield and low budget like this.
  18. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thats a lot of time. Are you doing this full time? Got a day job?

19. Yeah. Definitely should have just bought a set of fenders. There was a lot more figuring out on the first one. Plus I took out the whole headlight bucket on the other one. Now I'm just pulling out the templates and repeating the work but inverse.
    One cool thing is every body panel is original to the car. I hate when you see those high dollar restorations where the only original part is the title and Vin tag yet they claim it's an original numbers matching car.
    To answer your question about my day job. I own a small towing company and I have my own AAA territory. so I tinker with the car between calls while I'm at the shop.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  20. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I have been quietly following along, really admire respect the amount of fun you are having.

I thought to myself the other day, I wonder what the tow truck driver thought of the car when he delivered it, what he would think of all the progress that has been made :D
    Thanks for sharing your incredible work.

21. wvenfield

wvenfield

For most finding replacement fenders would make the most sense in time and money but this has been one of my more favorite threads on here in quite awhile.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

After seeing those fenders repaired I should have repaired the originals on my 55 sunliner,mine were not even close to being as rusty.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  23. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

You're focus and metal work is outstanding. Years ago, I couldn't find rust-free front fenders for my 56 Merc, so ended up rebuilding them similar to you, but on a much smaller scale. All-metal is always better than bondo'd or f-glasses parts, and after many hours of work and finishing, the car looked great, was original, and to this day, it looks good. Keep doing what you're doing, many here are following your progress and the results of your labor.

24. Thank you. I appreciate all the positive feedback.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Got a little done tonite.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, AndersF and Squablow like this.
  26. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

I like how you take complex shapes, break it down to little shapes, than weld it all together to make the one big piece. Its nice to see the really talented man with all the skills and equipment make it all one piece using his skills and equipment, but your approach shows others that it can be done with a little thought and skill, and tools that most of us have.
    I know I gush about this tread, and I'll try to cut back. Just enjoy watching it.

brEad and BrandonBerkosky01 like this.
  27. Like the old saying goes. "Necessity is the mother of invention".

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Saw this on the back of a hotshot truck today. On its way to Sweden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Duellym, chryslerfan55, brEad and 2 others like this.
  29. I'm back. Wrapped up my drivetrain swap on the wife's truck. Sure it's ot but i'm pretty proud of this one. I have to sneak in a few shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to business. I started stripping the chrysler subframe? I don't really know what to call it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    chriseakin, chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A subframe it is. The IH looks good, I wonder how hard it would be to put a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI in one? Im gonna hafta google it.