Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Old Devil" 32 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by birdog, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Hey birdog shot a picture of motor mount when you get a chance.

birdog likes this.
  2. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Will do brotha text me 801-230-7925

3. Roger that I will at high noon.

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I had to go back and correct my spelling of honor. I did it with an "e", must have thinking boner.:rolleyes:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. indyjps

indyjps

Huh ?? No hating going on here. I fully support the build, love the way it is. May not be able to keep his set up forever - he may get tired of the jawbreaker paint and want to do something different with his car.

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If it gets paint it is a perfect candidate for a brush job. A nice brush job.

Atwater Mike, volvobrynk and birdog like this.
  7. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

If I ever painted it. It would go probably a really dark blue lacquer

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

What's the layperson feedback on it? Say when you get gas?
    I hope it's NOT rat rod comments.
    Friggin spell check.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    volvobrynk and birdog like this.
  9. it would look devilish sinister dark blue. Lacquer is king

10. I agree. (Not that anyone asked, just a vote in affirmation.) :)

volvobrynk and birdog like this.
  11. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

IMG_2495.jpg IMG_2294.JPG IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1767.JPG
    O I have heard it all one guy pulls up in his lifted power stroke and says that's a pile of shit lol. I laughed and said yep! lol I leave from there head over to the gas station where an older gentleman said what year I said 32 he said that's what I thought it was wow sweet hot rod!!! I remember them looking just like this running around in my day! We never had enough money to paint them. Just rob parts off of other cars to try and make them faster. there will always be someone telling you what to do with your car. With my old roadster I argued with a guy for ten minutes over whether my car was fiberglass or not. And in that car I spent a lot of time only putting Henry ford steel back in it. No aftermarket patch panels just old steel. So you can imagine how pationate I was about it. After that I just agree with people hey sweet rat rod? thanks! Sweet you put a hemi in your roadster? yep thanks! Lol and my favorite that was my dads car lol or some friend of theirs and there positive I don't know anything about it. Here's an old pic of my old T. It never left my hands from metal work motor work and paint work. Except the interior

12. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

In time maybe I will take it slow and see how o feel about it later!

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

One more guy in the "paint it", but lightly and Era Perfect!

Because the guy who build it way back when, did paint it as you see it now, because he wanted it to look nice longer. No need to do excessive bodywork.

But, with all do respect, it's such a nice car, but saving/preserving it should priority and so should driving it be.

To make it Era Perfect it needs to run!

And I still believe firmly that the quality of the paint counts more then the finish of the paintjob!

So bedliner underneath and brush paint, laid down thick on top, and then buff back till it looks straight and nice. And should be possible to be back on the road by Monday again.
    Don't blow it apart, do it like you was a kid in
    1960 all over again.

Wash hard, scrub over, wipe down, paint, buff and go-baby-go!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  14. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

IMG_2775.JPG Need some help! Does anyone have a distributor cap that will work on a Harmon and Collins distributor cap. I think I need an original 42 crab the aftermarket ones will screw up my rotor

tomkelly88, Stogy, elgringo71 and 3 others like this.
  15. I have been very lucky in buying obsolete ign parts from Jack Corley. He was a Neihoff distributor years back and put away a warehouse of Vintage parts. He now full time sells it off. He's sure worth a phone call.
    503-667-1725. He is in Gresham Oregon
    The Wizzard

16. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Thank you I will give him a call

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Birdog...
    I remarked in post #113, about rear wheels looking 'out of place'. That's how they looked to me, had to say it.
    You fixed it, but it didn't have nearly the effect the total car has had under your hand.
    The car has retained its character, yet has been 'freshened up' with a NEW lease on life. New engine, Lincoln overdrive transmission, seats and floor, and all the little things. Yet it is recognizable as the same car it was!
    Family man, in the Defense biz. Quintessential rodder. True HAMB material.
    Hope to have my '27 T Touring up soon, would enjoy cruising with ya...

birdog likes this.
  18. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Here is my opinion on painting your car. I am 74 now. I have had hot rods since 58. the first thing I did was to make it as clean and good looking as I could. I did not have any more money than the other kids. I delivered papers morning and night to earn what I could. In high school I worked every day as a busboy to earn my money. I had hard earned money to get mine painted when I was 17. Even put a chevy in my 40 when I was 18. The chevy has been built for over sixty years. They qualify to be on here also. That another subject though. I do have an ARDUN flathead roadster now. I always kept mine clean and shiny as did a lot of hot rodders of the day. So there is a legitimate argument from back in the day to make it nice with a nice paint job. Paint it or not hot rods are as individual as each of are! Great car!

Stogy and birdog like this.
  19. image.jpg As a automotive painting business owner I say once you paint it, it will look like all the rest really nice painted cars. That car has a soul. It's old as hell and should look like it in my op. Here's to old junk!!!:rolleyes: Birdog just getting ready for el mirage next weekend. If you paint yours I will paint mine......:D

20. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Wow thank you for your kind words!!!! This hot rodding business can get tricky when you have so many other things going on. But I'll am a old car junkie so I find the time!

21. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

How about you paint yours bright pink with purple flames. I will do it if you will!

22. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

OK a little update the cap was one of my problems with my car. So I took a repopped cap I had a d ground and polished it to clear my harmon and Collins rotor. And thanks to some friends I changed my coils and plug gaps to 20 thousands it runs like a million bucks now!

23. Well I was really thinking like a pastel salmon color with like some egg shell green scallops. Nice set of Boyd billet wheels, with a steering wheel to match the wheels. Chrome out some
    disc brakes for it. And get a super nice trailer for it.

Atwater Mike and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  24. Are those chromed water pumps or those aluminum ones??? I like em might have to get me a set as my grandpa says he chromed everything he could under the hood. Fan pumps pullys ect ect...

25. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

IMG_3330.JPG IMG_3331.JPG IMG_3332.JPG IMG_3427.jpg Well took the car out to the salt and had a blast here's a few pics

26. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

27. Love this car!

kidcampbell71 and Denns1989 like this.
  28. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Are you bringing this car to the Hot Rod Hill Climb in Colorado in a couple of weeks?

SquintBoy likes this.
  29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

We didn't make it to Bonneville. Sometimes life gets in the way. It saved you a scary ride in your cool car!:eek:

30. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8