Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Personalized License Plate

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Summershandy, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Summershandy

Summershandy

Hey Gang opinion time!
    I'm thinking of getting personalized plates for my '54 Star Chief. They ain't cheap but I think it would really set the car off. Of course I can't just pick any if they are already taken. I have 2 available.

54 CHIEF or 54PONCHO first one with the space the second without.

The first one I'm not too sure of and the next was reading up about the whole "poncho" thing.

Would like some thoughts from some other owners out there as the wife would probably say, "I hate them both!" haha
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Gr8punkin

Gr8punkin

Hey Shandy, sometimes personalized plates are fun. I have 69 XR7 on my Cougar.
    When I got mine I was limited to 7 characters, I don't know about your state but I would definitely double check how many characters you can have. Post a pic when you get it.

3. Those plates are really vain,if you as me !!!

raff23089 likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You seem to making a major faux pas here. You asking for "public" opinion on "personalized" plates. :cool:

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the HAMB, your 54 looks kool. We have a seven character limit. So I would check to see what is your limit of characters and go from there.. I would just start writing them down on paper. You will come up with a kool one.

Here is mine...

Kats .jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. Why not get a YOM plate? they always look good and you don't have to explain what it means.

I had a vanity plate years ago that was IDOXLR8 and I was always decoding what I thought was as obvious as it gets,but NO!,the world is full of people that don't get it. HRP

7. 1pickup

1pickup

8. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about "TONTO"

Peanut 1959 and timwhit like this.
  9. robracer1

robracer1

How about just CHIEF

10. 2935ford

2935ford

I don't like to give the Province any more tax money for those plates! :)

6inarow, clem, kiwijeff and 1 other person like this.
  11. I always hated the word moredoor!:confused::D

4-11-10Rear1.JPG

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I much prefer that to the yom plates or antique classic plates. Yup it's a few extra bucks every year but not too unlike having a pin striper paint the car's name on the rear fender.
    We had one guy from this state get in a big hassle in another state with his YOM plates on his Chevy because he ran into a cop who wasn't bright enough to check things out thoroughly and didn't think to have a copy of the state's regs on yom plates. I don't need that kind of hassle and my truck isn't show room stock anyhow and why the hell would you want a yom plate on something that was built to an era 20 something years after the yom plate reads?

A friend in Waco Tx kept up the 32 Ford personalized plate on his coupe for a lot of years when the car never got driven. He always made sure he had the tabs paid far in advance on it as it was a much sought after plate. I don't know what happened on it after he passed away.

13. BJR

BJR

My all time favorite plate is "3MTA3" Write it down and look at it in a mirror. Like in rear view mirror.

3banjos, kiwijeff and jimmy six like this.
  14. redo32

redo32

My plate is standard issue... but I don't have a red '32. Got a green one and a primer one, but no red. My '48 pickup was RED O48 and was red primer once upon a time. There is still a little red on my head, but my beard is white.

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

YOM
    New plates look like a 2nd grader made them on his computer.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  16. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Had PPL's for my once upon a time OT 67' 400 Firebird ....."TINDIAN"
    Still got one of em hanging in the shop.

FrankenRodz likes this.
  17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Personalized plates are easier for someone to remember if you do something stupid!
    I like to fly just below the radar when possible!
    KK

18. Make sure u get the cheesy "pontiac" rear and front window vinyl stickers and watch people still get the year and model wrong.

RMR&C and Hnstray like this.
  19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My son and I have passed this one around for years 4NCRSUC Cali Blue with Yellow letters. On his pickup now.

My car is BEEN 200 and my truck is BVL 2 CLB. not vanity...just proud

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a buddy here in st. louis had plates that read "TAE EM," which is "me eat" backwards, and the state recalled 'em!

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"personal" choice - best not to list "your" ideas since may be just what someone else was looking for and orders first.

23. I was thinking about putting the ass man on my ride!:)

Bandit Billy and RMR&C like this.
  24. trey32

trey32

2B8B47

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. Do what makes you happy. Why does someone else have to tell you what to put on your own car? Are there no free thinkers anymore?

26. fordor41

fordor41

I have C41-8cw on my '41. everyone thinks it means circa 41- 8 cylinder windsor but it was just how the plate no's were issued.

27. We've had threads about em before, some hate em.
    I think, if you can customise your ride, why not customise your plate.
    Issue I'm having, is some people see different meanings, so what meens something cool to you, may meen something completely different to someone else. :D

KustomKreeps and bowie like this.
  28. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

If you do decide to go vanity ... you have the added burden of jumping thru the political correctness hoops of your local dmv. When my wife got her convertible she applied for RAGTOP. ICBC (British Columbia's version of dmv) turned it down because they said it "was a racial slur". She then applied for TOPLES. Turned down because it was too "risqué". Too much fuckin bullshit

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. I am going to get plates for my hawg that say AT1 Just to piss the Mongols off. :rolleyes:

The problem with personal plates is that they make you stick out like a sore thumb, we are hot rodders (and custom builders) so we are probably a little starved for attention or have little pee pees if you ask this guy.

images.jpg

Never the less there is a lot to be said for keeping a low profile and a car can always speak for itself if you give it a chance. ;)

wackdaddy likes this.