Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical pvc door panels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fitntrim4u65, Aug 28, 2017.

1. fitntrim4u65

fitntrim4u65

how are guys attaching upholstered door panels when using PVC sheeting?

2. 5window

5window

This is the best there is, and this is a good company to get it from. Often, there are online discount coupons you can search for. Note that it is UPS Ground shipped only and there may be restrictions that prohibit shipping to some states. But this stuff is great.
    http://www.yourautotrim.com/noname37.html

3. I screwed mine on. The abs I used was 1/8 thick. Very stiff so only a couple of screws required.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. These work great. Auveco makes them in a variety of sizes.

[​IMG]

5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I have several old door panel clips, they look something like the above pic but they slip over the panel before you cover it. I got them from some old stock at the last ford dealership I worked at. I can send you a pic. If you think you can use them, I'll send them to you. I don't need them.

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Those Auveco clips are good, Ive also had good success w the. new plastic "Christmas tree" style panel clips are cheap and work well. Never used it but I've heard some folks use thise heavy duty velcro strips .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Gr8punkin likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PVC moves around when it gets warm (warps) .. I personally like the heavy black board and the upolstry material adhears to it better than plastic at least for me..

iwanaflattie and ZBoyz3 like this.
  8. I use the 32 thousand thick alum. and love it....never warps, eazy to work with water does not hurt it and I use the above clips to attach it to the doors or where ever and when removing the panels you never bust through it with the clip.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The plastic Christmas tree ones mentioned aren't that great, I'm tearing my upholstery apart to replace them with the metal ones shown

10. Gr8punkin

Gr8punkin

I've glued neodymium magnets to panels before, depending how often you might need to access the cavity behind it and if there's room.

Beanscoot likes this.
  11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I used alum. on my '33... it did fine but didn't always stick to the back side on the kick panels...

12. 5window

5window

Re-read your post. Correctly this time. I used the weld wood mostly to fasten the upholstery to the PVC. I used the Auveco clips to fasten some of the panels to the body, but you need a double layer of PVC or really thick foam so that the clip doesn't show through.

13. 41fastback

41fastback

When I have a clip covered by foam, I hit the foam over the clip with a small sanding disk to level it out. Then cover with vinyl or whatever. Works good on my projects (I'm not a pro).

5window likes this.
  14. Canuck

Canuck

Now use Au-Ve-Co clips # 12134. These clips require a pair of siamese 3/8" holes trimmed to a oval in the panel 5/8" in towards the center of the car door from where the holes in the car door are. I like this style of clip because the clips are attached to the panel after it has been upholstered so they're not in the way when I'm working on the front of the panel.
    The 12134 clip holds onto the PVC foamboard better than the 10780 clip. They also don't telegraph through as easily.
    upload_2017-8-30_19-21-23.png

These should work for most of my interior. Will still need a few plastic xmas trees and some HD velcro for a few spots.

Canuck

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Used ABS plastic for panels in my 40 coupe 10 years ago. They have held up very well. Upholstery guy was not thrilled at first but was pleased with the result.

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

Who sells PVC sheets? or ABS?

17. Dave 39

Dave 39

A place like Tap Plastics or a sign shop. Usually called pvc foamboard. About $40 for a 4x8 sheet. Good stuff, easy to work with. Dave

a

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

19. fordor41

fordor41

McMaster Carr supply

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can get those plastic "Christmas tree" at Ace in the little pull out drawers above the bolts and nuts. Bad part of those on anything is you end up replacing some of them any time you pull a panel off.

21. evintho

evintho

A little OT but I have some curved areas in the roadster that need upholstery. Where can I get some backer board thats flexible enough to form a curve, and what is it called?

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

evintho-----mcmaster carr but everything they have is awful expensive.
    look at their chemical-resistant, easy to form PVC-acrylic

23. brady1929

brady1929

Very informative thread, thanks

24. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I have made interior panels for many cars using ABS. Just heat it up a bit and bend it to the curve you want, and it will stay. Recently did roof side panels for my 50 Ford truck, to finish off the headliner I put in it.

25. partssaloon

partssaloon

I have PVC panels in one of my cars and they attach by the 3m Dual Lock Fasteners. It is just like velcro on 5X stronger. Sticky backed so the just stick to the panel and to the door then just push them together like velcro. We even use to hang a set of gauges under the dash on test vehicles with these.

mchbZpH4nkAkjBU_tE-OnNw.jpg

26. 5window

5window

This is a pretty good website: http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plastic-Sheet-Plastic-Rod-Plastic-Tubing
    I used Sintra PVC sheet in my A and bought it from a local sign shop. It was about $50 for a 4x8 panel a few years ago, but I think I paid a premium,too. It cut well and forms great with a hot air gun. I used Loktite Super-glue to overlay panels and smoothed some seams with caulk. It worked well enough that I could make a real transition at the back of my A coupe from the curved upper panel to the 90 degree corner in the lower half and you rarely see that.

There are lots of Youtube videos on heat forming Sintra as well as articles reviewing the various adhesives that can be used-most of this stuff is posted by nerds going to Comic con, but they still know their stuff. I just don't need a Wonder Woman breastplate or or a Stormtrooper costume.

The previous edition of my interior when I bought the car used the "Velcro" type fasteners-not a fan.

27. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Man I never thought of the 3M stuff, they make a HD velcro that holds good too. Thanks for that idea.

28. whateverit takes

whateverit takes
    from Florida

I used the Auveco 12134 metal clips mentioned to attach 1/8" ABS on my door panels. I'm happy with the results. IMG_20170828_153637.jpg