Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical what year 9" ford rearend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnold1938, Aug 23, 2017.

1. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

well; the brake drums are out of stock. so I 'm looking to change the rearend out and get something I can replace a component with out having months of down time. and drain my pocket book!

2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Got the complete rear drum setup for my big bearing 9" from Dutchman. All new parts, reasonable price, no muss no fuss.

3. bobss396 you're right. I was told only 57 had the bottom drain plug but it looks like some 58 and 59 had it also according to this:
    How To Recognize 9" Housing Centers:
    57 - no dimples, flat center band up the center of the rear cover, bottom drain plug
    58-59 - two dimples on back of housing, flat center band, some had drain holes
    60-67 - two dimples, flat center band, oil level hole in back cover
    63-77 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential, strong but no gears available

It's cut from: http://www.darkside.ca/node/137

4. I would still try to source some backing plates and drums from the boneyard, also look on eBay. All the guts like brake shoes, etc are incidentals.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Had me concerned so i called Kanter and was told they are still available. I know they are $200.00+ but surely cheaper and less trouble than starting from scratch. Not knocking your choice but others reading this thread might like knowing.

6. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

damn. all this complex info makes my brain hurt and actually glad that somebody stole my two 9" 1966-1974 ford/merc rear ends from my property in winona az during the mid y2ks.

7. papastrk

papastrk

Later model Ford 10" drums will work, but will need the register hole adapters mentioned earlier that are inexpensive. They beat the heck out of paying $200 for those with the small register hole.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Ford went to self adjusters in 1961 before that adjusters were right hand thread self adjuster are right and left hand thread. Why change to 10" brakes unless you want to run 13" wheels 11" should fit in 14" or larger.