Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HalibrandSteve where are you? I sent you $1065 in Mar 2017 and never got my parts!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33highboy, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alchemy

alchemy

Not everybody has email notifications on their PMs.

I sold Steve some parts many years ago, but I don't have any of his contact info anymore. Good luck!

els likes this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Unless he is in the hospital or dead are the only 2 excuses he would have for me. I went through a really ugly divorce about 6 years ago and had to take her to court to get my car back. Had to get a restraining order so she couldn't come to my work place.
    I still honored my life commitments . Went to work every day and if I sold something it got shipped or delivered.
    If it was your cash he had in his pockets you would not be so sympathetic. He could at least answer as to why he hasn't shipped the parts.

els, Jugornot, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  3. XXL__

XXL__

I'm more than a little obsessive, but when I sell something, it goes out the door same day or next. I also send tracking info to buyer as soon as I have it. I even fret when I see the package tracking info showing "slow" movement (like a recent Fedex shipment that took 7 days to get to the buyer).

PunkAssGearhead88, els, slack and 6 others like this.
  4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Sold a acft eng to a guy, didn't pay.I made the phone call, he said I didn't ship all. I said I shipped what you requested. He said I got the eng, and still have my money. I said meet me at the airport. I am a banned pro wrestler and just on principal I'm coming for you. He ponyed up and said how do you want your money. I'm not the B/A I portrayed, but he didn't know .:)

els, Fortunateson and Fordor Ron like this.
  5. XXL__

XXL__

Neither did you. That's a dangerous game... some percent of people willing to steal from you are also willing to kill you. No car part on the planet is worth dying for.

/2 cents

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I knew what he looked like so I wasn't afraid of him. For the amount of money involved I would have hopped on a plane and went to his house. He apologized and coughed up an extra 100..00

els and Jugornot like this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Knowing "Hasurgrand" Steve's full name might help warn others.

els likes this.
  8. Pete

Pete

Damn, these "I got screwed" threads are becoming more and more common.

It's sad, can't trust anybody.

9. Koz

Koz

Scarey the number of these threads showing up to echo Petes comment above. I've been dragging my feet sending a guy on another board funds for some parts as he insists on a personal check as opposed to the Postal MO's I usually send. Lately I've been airing on the cautious side.

els likes this.
  10. 5window

5window

Curious, since I don't think you can get more secure than a US Post Office money order. I just had to order some vital records from another state, and that is all they would take-no credit card, no cash, no check. True, you could prosecute if a check bounced, but unless it is for a large amount, it wouldn't be worth the hassle. What a personal check would do is give the receiver your account and routing numbers. If he wouldn't take even a bank check or provide a reasonable explanation, I would smell some really old fish.

els likes this.
  11. oj

oj

Don't even think about it. We have to maintain high standards for everybodies' sake. If the guy don't accept paypal he knows somebody that does. Having paypal is as common as having an ID for voting.

Cliff Ramsdell, els and 48fordnut like this.
  12. 3340

Hopefully someone that lives close could pay him a visit, he for sure is not a true car guy!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  13. 33highboy

33highboy
    from Florida

I'm still hoping for a good turnout !

els and lurker mick like this.
  14. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I keep reading that everybody has paypal, but that is just not true. I sold a Harley and the guy paid with PayPal and put in money for delivery to be paid to the shipper. I was instructed to send shipping money to shipper immediately. I got nervous before delivery and tried to convert to cash. It was a complete fraud. The fake PayPal even fooled the bank at first. I contacted PayPal directly and the fraud unit told me that it is a constant fight to stop fraud. He said that the scammers have banks of computers set up,to run the scam. I contacted scammer and told him that nothing was moving until i had converted paypal to cash in hand.
    The bike didn't get delivered and the extra money didn't get paid, and I heard no more from the scammer.
    I do not use Paypal, I use postal money orders and you can contact me by PM or email any time.

els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Sounds like he WAS a good guy at some point.
    Probably should keep this at the top of the page until some of the H.A.M.B. residents of Edmonton talk him into making things right.

els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Anything can be phony. I don't do PayPal either. Never have, never will. Pissed me off when EBAY started to get their regular fees and another fee when you used PayPal and then they almost mandated it for EBAY purchases. That way they get paid coming, going and in between fro both parties. Screw that.

I have always used US Postal Money Orders for EBAY stuff. If it's PayPal of nothing, I don't buy it. It will be available elsewhere. The Postal Inspectors are more like tough old skool cops and will go after anyone if they misuse one. It's mail fraud and they take it very seriously. That said, they have been copied and scammed with too. What hasn't?

I'm to the point I strictly deal face to face with cash. I don't ship my sales items. If it's important to me I will take the time to drive and touch it before I own it and I'll haul it home. Retirement has some perks. I even meet people part way that are buying stuff from me. Call me crazy but it works great. Doesn't work well for items under $100 for me but anything over that I can turn most trips into something positive for me. Backroad car shopping all the time! Might cut down the profit a little bit but at least I get my money, they get usable parts they looked at before paying and everyone is happy. If they aren't willing to meet me part way when buying, that's their problem. Somebody will come along and buy it.

It comes to your level of commitment and trust. I have a large commitment but a small circle of trust these days.

Go with your gut.

17. Here's the deal on the whole road trip deal. it is especially hard for an American to get into Canada right now. Even if it was easy a strong arm deal is not your best bet when you are visiting another country, for the same reason that the local police won't do much. It is another country and they don't care about you and they like you less if you show up and cause a problem.

My bet is that the part never existed in the first place and were never going to be available. I have been wrong before but that is how these deals usually work out.
    yea yea I know major buzz kill, just trying to be the voice of reason here. :D

18. I had a guy years ago sell me a 32 Ford deck lid. He claims that is was a repaired lid and garonteed
    that it would fit . If it did not he would refund all my money. So I pulled the trigger and bought it. When it arrived i was excited in getting this part. Went right out to check the fit. Naturally it was bent and would not work as he described. I called him up and explained to him he portrayed to be honest guy said to ship it back and he would refund my money . After a month I called him to verify that he received the deck lid. His response was that he was not returning my money due to the fact he claims that I did some work to the deck lid and he was not refunding my money . That remark just sent me through the roof. I promised him that I would be down to see him. I live in Alaska and he lived in Minnesota , I believe that he thought that I was bluffing. Well 4 months go by and i call him and let him know I will be by on this date to see him. Well naturally he was not home so I left him a nice note indicating that now I know where he lives and drove off. About 45 minutes later he called me and wanted to meet , i told him that I was on my way to another state for business and will be back in 1 week. Exactly 1 week goes by and he calls me , wanting me to meet him at his work. ( I think he wanted some back up by his friends in case things go wrong)
    Well when I got to his town , I called him and told him that I would meet him in a local mall parking lot and was not going to his work. He showed up and was sucking up to me as portraying to be a nice guy. All I wanted is my money but ended up getting this damaged trunk lid back. I told him that this was his lucky day , beings that I had my 10 year old daughter in the vehicle with me and I did not want her to see me break his nose . He almost shit on him self. He had the most funny look on his face as to realize that he really was headed in getting his nose rearranged .
    I loaded the part and left. As we were driving away my daughter even commented on the look on his face.
    Well later that week i receive a call from his wife wanting to know why I had left so many messages on her cell phone . I did not know that this POS had given me her number. I explained to her the story and told her what a con artist her husband is. He response was that she was going to straiten him out .
    I hope Karma got him.
    Vic

els, chryslerfan55, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  19. A Boner

A Boner

Putting Steve to the top page.

els likes this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

There are some phony PP sites, I was involved with a scammer who wanted to do the transaction via PP, told him I didn't have an account, he replied back with a link to open a PP account, telling me how easy it was.

The site was close, but no cigar, I think they call it a philshing? site, or similar.

Gotta be careful out there for sure.

21. Budget36

Budget36

I don't think so, I think he got jammed up, needed the money, spent it, and doesn't have the coin to send the parts.

Happened to me, I was jammed up for cash a few years back, sold some fenders to a guy in Wisconsin?...or similar...I needed the cash bad, an made him a good deal, and we agreed on GreyHound shipping after I checked the cost...cost was parts price plus shipping GH, he sent payment...problem was by the time I got the funds, GH was on strike, or some accident happened...whatever... and couldn't get the parts w/in 300 miles of him..I checked alternative ways to ship, but he wasn't having it, and wanted the dollars back...difference here was I told him no way I could send the money back...I spent it, but could send the shipping $$ back...after a few weeks of emails, phone calls, etc...he agreed it wasn't my issue...he wanted the parts and decided to wait till GH got their issues sorted.

Now, why do I think this cat Steve wasn't selling something he didn't have?

Well, I think he was working with too many coals in the fire, got the OP's (and other money), paid his bills which grew...and didn't have the funds to send the parts.
    Then he goes into "hiding"...probably could have all been avoided if he'd just have come clean with the buyers, worked something out with them, instead of going silent.

What did my ordeal teach me...sell face to face, eff the shipping things, just too much hassle when life get's in the way.

els and luckythirteenagogo like this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Ya know, the solution to this is so simple if you do it beforehand: Join the HAMB Alliance and unless you can lay eyeballs and hands on what you are buying, deal ONLY with Alliance members. Then not only are you adding a layer of insurance to your purchase, you're making yourself eligible for some welcome discounts from vendors who help support this site, and doing a bit of the support yourself.
    Whether this advice is heeded is up to the individual(s) involved, but at least this gets the post back to the top.

23. RR

RR

He wants your bank account number- found on the bottom of every check. I would not do business with him. Postal MO's are far more secure than personal checks.

els and turboroadster like this.
  24. Phttttttt you'd buy from me wouldn't ya. :D :D :D

els, chryslerfan55, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Most likely I would from you beaner:) #1-You're on here bout as much as I am, so I feel likwe I know you. #2 You live in the USA as I do, and I'm retired from a major airline and still have pass privileges, so it would be easy to come "visit"you:eek:
    But this dude not only lives in another country, it's one thaat frowns on our 2nd Amendment:mad: But I'm not trying to drag politics into this moderators:D

els and Woogeroo like this.
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm pissed off because he's from Canada and I don't like hearing of this, just not done. By the way we don't frown on your second amendment it's just that it is yours and not ours.

els, kiwijeff, Drunk Man and 4 others like this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Red flag alert! No reason to prefer a personal check over a USPS money order. Unless you plan on cashing the check and not sending the merchandise.

els likes this.
  28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So, you checked your Paypal account and it showed the money in your account, and it was cleared, but it was a scam? Please clarify that.

els likes this.
  29. ford495051

ford495051

The Pay Pal scam is usually just an e-mail (that looks official but is usually badly worded) that states that you have money in your account but Pay Pal is holding it until you send money to a phony shipper. Pay Pal does not hold money in escrow, they only transfer money. The shipping money is the scam, if you send it, it's gone. Go to your account, if the money is there then it's real and you can spend it, if it is not, then the thing is a scam..

els and Blues4U like this.
  30. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Got to be someone on here from Edmonton or other areas of northern Alberta that knows him and can make contact.

els likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.