Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

Will be driving up from Florida to see you run that mighty Mopar next weekend.

2. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Those seat covers are awesome! I gotta link that pic to my upholsterer buddy. He'll dig the amount of work it took to sew them up. That sewing machine must've been breathing hard!

I have Speedway springs too and holy crap are they stiff. If you hit a bump at 45mph, you better have the 5 way harness on or your head will hit the roof or cage. Guess I'll try removing leaves.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  3. allwilly

allwilly

Take the short leaves out first..taking long ones out will leave the pack unsupported and will make for funky handling

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Higgy's Henry like this.
  4. Status update? It looks really bad on TV

I know - this was his first set made for those Summit Racing seats - he has a pattern now - he did cut me a deal so he could start making covers for these seats.

Alright man - looking forward to it!

Define funky - when are you going to make a pass in my car?

loudbang, Floater03 and Hang'emHigh like this.
  5. allwilly

allwilly

Like skating all over ...bottom short leaves are the stiffest if it's too stiff remove them from bottom up or the spring is unsupported and will s shape...causing unloading. ..= evil handling

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've always wondered why almost everybody uses the parallel leaf springs instead of the Ford type setup with transverse spring and radius rods.

Hang'emHigh likes this.
  7. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

X2

There's a badass looking black Henry J on the internet with a Ford set-up and it looks like an evil handling package. Looks killer though. Maybe someone with experience will chime in. There were plenty of Model A gassers with the stock set-up.

loudbang likes this.
  8. glrbird

glrbird

Tony, all is good here in San Antonio, Houston is completely flooded. The guy with the light blue Studabaker lives in Katy just outside Houston, hope he's ok.

55belairx2 and loudbang like this.
  9. glrbird

glrbird

I think the Texas Shooter lives in Sinton Texas which is about 30 miles from where the hurricane made landfall.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Been watching it on the news, man is it bad. I don't ever remember that much rain falling in such a short time. They said there will be places that will see 50 plus inches.

loudbang likes this.
  11. powrshftr

powrshftr

This whole thing has been bugging me.If the same pistons worked great last year,why did they suddenly turn to junk overnight?And why only on one bank?
    Something smells fishy here.
    After going back through the photos of the pistons out of the motor,I think you should have a closer look at the orientation of that second ring.It's clearly installed UPSIDE DOWN,which would not only scrape oil up toward the chamber,but also away from the skirt,which would explain why it looks a little bit scuffed up,too.

So after a few pages of angry rants,name calling,and character assassination,it turns out this whole mess was caused because you couldn't install a piston ring with the right side facing up?
    WOW.

You put a lot of effort into dragging a man's name through the mud....If I were in your shoes,I'd be feeling like a pretty big heel right now.
    I hope your apology is as enthusiastic as your accusations were.

Scott
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Finn Jensen and 55belairx2 like this.
  12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. glrbird

glrbird

is this unlocked now?

14. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Just so ya know Scott, the photos that you have posted weren't the ones that were in his motor...

Hang'emHigh likes this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^ That was an old, used spare piston and an old ring that Tony was using to check ring groove depth and he installed the old ring on it just to use it in the absence of a micrometer depth gauge with a probe small enough to fit in that very narrow ring groove. Since it was only being used for this, made no difference which way it was installed, as it wasn't installed to run in the engine.
    In the opinion of many engine "gurus" the problem is that the piston used a design with no oil return holes in the oil ring groove because it had been designed originally for engines with vacuum pump on crankcase and oil holes would have been a vacuum leak.

Hang'emHigh and Higgy's Henry like this.
  16. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

OK, let's get back to some kind of normalsy! DOM are you heading to Shady Side?

17. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

18. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Good to see this thread up and going again.

19. allwilly

allwilly

Dog_Patch, Hang'emHigh and loudbang like this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

Good to see it back

Dog_Patch, enloe and Hang'emHigh like this.
  21. jim snow

jim snow

Welcome back. Snowman

Dog_Patch, loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  22. Some people just can't let things go!....... Period. Glad to see this thread open again. Maybe it can move on to racing again.

23. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Hallelujah! Me likey!

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  24. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Awesome to see it back, now everyone do your anti-rain dance for the Shady side finale

Dog_Patch, loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  25. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Great !! See y'all at Shadyside !

26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Can't wait for the finals. We are driving up Friday morning. Our son and his fiancé bought a house about 30 minutes from the track. Free place to stay. About time I get room and board from him.

27. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Glad to see this thread back. Now...Let's Race!!!

28. I hesitate to open this back up, but some of my friends don't do face book or instagram.

Cliff notes version - the last experiment on the smoke was to use my season 1 engine. The 392 that had Wiseco pistons. I moved everything over to that block/pistons/rods/crank. So now we have all the same heads, lifters, pan, intake, crank evac - you name it. That engine didn't smoke at Darlington. Well - until the last pass of 4 passes. Thought leaving the line at 7000 rpm was a good idea but was not.

So we went from this :
    IMG_6281.jpg

To this :
    21765593_482933162070700_6541106382373821081_o.jpg

To this:
    IMG_6123.JPG

catdad49, PBRmeASAP, enloe and 5 others like this.
  29. The stroker motor is now pulled apart waiting on pistons of a different design. Shorter rod to allow for a bigger ring pack. It is what it is.

Now I'm out of options to get to the Nov 4th finals. My buddy Russ was cool enough to let me build up his 9:1 blower motor he's had sitting for years. Like a true addict, I jumped at the chance to get another engine in the car just to get the race points and not miss the finals so ..... no sleep till FINALS!

IMG_6083.JPG

680640-480-52.jpg IMG_6371.JPG IMG_6378.JPG IMG_6392.JPG IMG_6401 (1).JPG IMG_6403 (1).JPG IMG_6406.JPG IMG_6408.JPG IMG_6413.JPG IMG_6415.JPG IMG_6416.JPG IMG_6422.JPG

30. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

You GO boy!!!