Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 37 Olds and 37 Chevy coupes bodys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wannadrag, Aug 26, 2017.

1. wannadrag

wannadrag
    from WI

Does a 37 Olds coupe share any body parts with a 37-38 Chevy coupe? I know the doors hood and fenders are different but what about the rockers,tail panel,door bottoms and lower 1/4 section ahead of the rear wheels. EMS has this stuff for chevy and wondering if its the same?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

EMS says no. just ask them.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Pontiac shared some body parts with Chevy on their smaller models...but the big GM cars were different.

4. ems customer service

ems customer service

OK GUYS THERE HAS BEEN MORE THAN ONE POST ON THIS TOPIC.

LETS MAKE IT CLEAR AND SIMPLE

1937/8 CHEVY PARTS WILL NOT FITS A 1937/8 OLDSMOBILE, PONTIAC OR BUICK

DONE PERIOD, THEY DO NOT FIT!!!

YOU CAN NOT MAKE THEM FIT!!!!!

302GMC, Paul B, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.

5. wannadrag

wannadrag
    from WI

Has anyone actually tried or just all here say saying it cant be done?

6. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy body panels dont fit fords, either. Do you want to try it yourself and see why not?

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some people just won't believe............................

6inarow likes this.
  8. wannadrag

wannadrag
    from WI

Stuff can be made to work,not that I don't believe I just want to here from someone that tried and not a bunch naysayers that heard It wont fit.

9. Leakie

Leakie

The man from EMS just told you they DO NOT fit. Why would you question the guys that make them?

nunattax, kiwijeff and 6inarow like this.
  10. Uh, do you think that EMS doesn't know his business?

11. squirrel

squirrel

for starters, you could look for pictures of the cars in question, and study the body lines carefully, and see if they are the same shape. Maybe you could see for yourself, why they don't fit.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Chevy and Pontiac/Buick/Olds/LaSalle/Caddy coupe bodies are similar in appearance, but distinctly different in dimensions....in all directions. I am quite familiar with both bodies, my closest friend having a '37 Chevy coupe and me having a '38 Buick coupe.

Perhaps YOU should be the guy to give it a try and then YOU would know for sure.

Ray

firstinsteele likes this.
  13. 6inarow

6inarow

Help us all out. Try it, photograph it and post up here so we all know for sure

14. wannadrag

wannadrag
    from WI

I will try it,ive wasted money on worse stuff. Now I remember why I've been gone from here for 5 years.

15. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Because you asked a question and got many answers, or you got answers you didn't like?

firstinsteele and Hnstray like this.
  16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See ya' in 2022!

tb33anda3rd and Hnstray like this.
  17. sawzall

sawzall

to put this in perspective.. in 1940 chevrolet had 2 different taillight buckets.. 1 for coupes.. one for sedans.. keep in mind that the bezel and lens are the same.. but they changed the damn bucket..

I still dont understand it.. and attribute the "lack of universality" to the "desirability" of early fords..

so no..

18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or greater attention to detail.............................

Hnstray likes this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'40 Chevy tail lights were mounted to the body, not the fenders, and sedan and coupe bodies have different contours in that area. '40 Ford tail lights were fender mounted and the fender contour where the light mounted was the same for sedans and coupes.

The OP's question was more comparable to wanting to use Ford body patch panels on a Lincoln , not the differences between sedan and coupe small trim.

Ray

20. squirrel

squirrel

yup, but it's hard to make a point to someone who is not being sensible, by being sensible.

ems customer service likes this.
  21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Even though the EMS guy YELLED his answer, I see your point. Sure, the Chevy panels won't directly fit the Olds (done deal), but perhaps the Chevy panels are a starting point to make them work on your Olds? Especially if you only need a small portion of the panel for your Olds' needs.
    They might be a better starting point than looking at a flat piece of sheet metal on your bench. 100's of people have had to modify "close enough" Model A, etc. panels from Howells to fit their Model A's.
    After you get the EMS Chevy panels, post them against your Olds and do a tutorial of what work was needed. I'd love to see it and I'm sure the BOP guys would too. Our EMS rep would also have the tutorial available for anyone else that inquires so they can see if all the mod work required is in their realm of ability.

anothercarguy likes this.
  22. ems customer service

ems customer service

============================================================

CHEVY PARTS DO NOT FIT 37/38 OLDS. PONTIACS OR BUICKS.

DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY THEY DO NOT FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY ARE NOT A STARTING PIONT.

MODIFYING FLAT PANELS FROM HOWELL'S IS NOT A COMPARISON. TO MULTI AXIS CURVES OF THE LATE 30S',

THE TUTORIAL WILL CONSIST OF A FLAT METAL AND A YODER POWER HAMMER
    =========================================================================================================================================================================================================
    AS FAR AS COMPANY POLICY OF EMS AUTOMOTIVE,

THE MAJOR PIONT BEING MISSED,

WE OPERATE IN HONEST TO THE CUSTOMER ENVIRONMENT.

WE COULD TAKE THE MONEY FROM THE OLD & PONTIAC GUYS AND TELL THEM TOUGH LUCK CUT AND WELD TO YOU MAKE IT FIT.

THERE ARE ALOT OF PLACES THAT WILL DO THAT. EMS WILL NOT DO THAT

NOW THE EMS COMPANY IS BEING BLASTED BY A FEW , THAT JUST CANT BELIVE SOME ONE WILL BE HONEST.

IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT A CAR WAS BOUGHT PROBABLY IN A CHEAP DEAL WITH THE FAKE INFO CHEVY PARTS FIT, ( WE HERE IT A LOT)

IF THERE WAS ANY WAY TO MAKE A HONEST SALE WE WOULD BE HAPPY TO TAKE YOUR MONEY, BUT IT IS NOT, AND WE REALLY DO NOT WANT TO SELL TO THE 37-8 BUICK, OLD,PONTIAC OWNERS,

--- BECAUSE THE PARTS DO NOT FIT!!!!!!

HOW WOULD LIKE TO SPEND A LOT MONEY FOR PARTS, SHIPPING, TIME WASTED JUST TO FIND OUT IT DOES NOT FIT????

IT IS JUST NOT GOOD BUSINESS.

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Easy now. You're getting yourself way too worked up over this.

Hnstray likes this.
  24. vanherrb

vanherrb

the 37 38 chevy was A platform shared by the olds f series small 6 car and pontiac 6 line,, but they had thier own longer frames,, with longer front fenders,,,
    a similar pan and framing with different skins
    the b platform was gm midsize
    and the c platform was big caddy buick
    same as saying the firebird and camaro sharing the same platform
    so---i believe this is the answer the man was seeking,,,,,,ii amsure he is smart enogh to see the chevy belt line and door skin are different..
    but to late now,,
    you chased him away

25. ems customer service

ems customer service

I WAS NOT YELLING
    THIS IS YELLING

BUT THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE FAITH IN OUR ABILTY TO MAKE A DECENT PRODUCT, WE APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS AND YOUR PATIENCE WITH THE RECENT SUPPLY CHAIN AND WORKFORCE ISSUES.

THE EMS GUY

guthriesmith likes this.
  26. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if a person uses a big enough hammer, sawzaw , a torch and buckets of Bondo anything is possible. Maybe not stylish but doable

guthriesmith likes this.
  27. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Be sure to tune in when we continue this exciting conversation in 2027!

ems customer service likes this.
  28. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I have a question. My 38 Chevy Coupe gasser has doors that were gutted, no windows, mechanisms, or wind wings. It still as the door handles and the mechanism that open and close the doors. Is there any of the 37-39 siblings that have parts that fit my Chevy?
    Thanks for the education and the help!

29. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

This thread is amusing.