Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2017 H.A.M.B. Drags... End Of An Era...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 21, 2017.

1. @Ryan Funny you should bring this up, this is the direction that we are trying to take the Yay-Hoo in the coming years. A hot rod race more than a race car race. ;)

@Lumpy its a damned funny think I live what 40 minutes from St Jo? I have known at least part of the crew from St Jo for nearly 20 years, we all drive 3-5 hours one way once a year to visit with each other. Yea sometimes we race and most of the time any and or all of us are available in the pits or parking lot to turn a wrench or chase a part but I have come to believe that we do this just to see each other. ;)

One thing that I have discovered over the years is that there are no strangers in the hotel parking lot the weekend of the drags. granted for me maybe its a little easier than for people not like me, I have not met a stranger in around 63 years give or take. But I have noticed that with few exceptions even the most introverted of those on the HAMB find themselves in the throws of conversation in the hotel parking lot.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    oldsjoe, loudbang and Sancho like this.
  2. silverdome

silverdome

I agree, I was talking to guys from Minnesota and then a fellow from Brisbane, Australia walked up and joined in the conversation. So there were three different accents going on in the same conversation and we all spoke to each other like we were good neighbors.

This event rocks, I say we keep it going forever and maybe the world will take note on how to get along.

loudbang, ROCKER77 and Sancho like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whoo hoo, I don't have to dig in the bucket and take that piece of paper out. This thread is a great read just reading about the fun folks had there and seeing the photos.
    I've got to say that Corvette is spot on for the Corvettes I saw racing back when I was in my early teens going to the drags with my dad on Dad and kid weekends.
    Hopefully next year I won't be worrying about how many vacation days I have and only have to worry about gas money for my pickup and camper to make a road trip.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That Vette was perfect! It was pretty damn fast too!

loudbang and Nostrebor like this.
  5. Hell they might not even make Pearl ( or Perl?) anymore. Maybe everyone is too kind or mean to tell me. :eek::D

loudbang likes this.
  6. loudbang likes this.
  7. Apparently Quality Beverage is a wholesaler. I don't know if it's available or not.....
    I tried!

Found it, available at Tulsa Midtown Liquor.

loudbang likes this.
  8. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Bikes huh? Does this mean I need to get back on my '60 BSA Super Rocket project?

Sent from my SM-G920T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, cactus1 and Sancho like this.
  9. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Yea Pabst bought them out, still being brewed.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I bet the big liquor store on state line has it then. Not that I advacate adding booze to the Beaner lol

Sancho likes this.
  11. town sedan

town sedan

Haven't been there in years, but Pearl use to be the "house" beer at Davey's Uptown Ramblers Club. Maybe you still can.
    -Dave

loudbang and flatout51 like this.
  12. LOL you should have never ever stepped away from it. I don't have a scoot old enough or I would bring a real drag bike. Haven't worked on or crewed on a drag bike in over 40 years but I can make one go man go. ;)

Funny thing, a young friend said this trip that he had known me most of his life and he could not tell when I was drinking or when I was not. :D A little booze and the right company may just get you a nitrous powered skate board. :D :D :D

oldsjoe, loudbang, Okie Pete and 2 others like this.
  13. Yeah Ryan, Don't quit now. This event was part of the insperation, for us Misfires, to take a leap of faith with The Dragstrip Riot, October 28th. We been doing our Groundhog Gala 17 years, and all thought about throwing in the towel many times. Now it is has become one of central Floriduh's oldest traditional gatherings. No stopping it now.
    We've come to the conclusion that these events are chicken soup for the soul, of hot rodders, young and old.

JT

https://www.misfiresdragstripriot.com/

AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  14. Glad to hear you at sticking with it.....Gives me five more years to make a good pass!

loudbang likes this.
  15. Deal! This is Scoop's Chevy pickup. Big ol 292 motor scotts_scoop_33chevPU.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    72yenkonova, Tim, oldsjoe and 2 others like this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

This may be enough reason to freshen up the Fly.

AHotRod, Tim and loudbang like this.
  17. Ryan, I love this event so much that when I can't fly up from Texas due to weather, I drive. The Friday night fun is half of it - like seeing the Organ Grinder and 7 Sins pull away from a stoplight together on Range Line Rd.. It couldn't get much hotter than this year but I'll take that rather than getting rained out any time. How about needling our Vett guys?
    Chuck

loudbang likes this.
  18. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Glad to hear I still have a chance to get there before the fun stops! Life happens but I'll make one day! Joe

loudbang likes this.
  19. Kustm52

Kustm52

Ryan, I think we need a rematch..

upload_2017-8-30_13-45-23.png

Attached Files:

loudbang, cactus1, Tim and 3 others like this.
  20. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

@Ryan you have been called out....Now you need to get it up and going.....

loudbang, Malcolm and Sancho like this.
  21. Oh hell....

loudbang likes this.
  22. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ha Ha that's it… Everybody race Ryan until .....
    "smoke, meet my ass. Now leave. "

loudbang and Tim like this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

26. 63Compact

63Compact

HAMB drags was a highlight of my 2012 trip to the US. Strangers kept giving us beers and tequila in the carpark on Fri night, and showing us around like theyd know us their whole life. Karl gave me an old MOKAN t shirt and thanked us or coming so far. Ryno and Gerry made us feel more than welcome at his house and the racing was great. So thanks or putting this on Ryan hopefully I can get back before you call it a day.

loudbang, saltflats and Sancho like this.
  27. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Any update on the time and location of the 2018 H.A.M.B. Drags?
    Tony

loudbang likes this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I see a date of August the 18th

loudbang likes this.
  29. The HAMB Drags are one of the events I try to squeeze in to my events to attend. This year, @cvstl and I met up on the west side of Springfield and cruised over together, with a stop to visit with @povertyflats, in Sarcoxie. It was great to catch up with @hoop And his lovely bride, who drive their 56 F100 down from the Boston, MA area.

Was cool to park with @Tim And his pop. 20170819_121251.jpg @cvstl, my 40 stake truck, and @Tim
    20170819_165036.jpg @guthriesmith , @cvstl , and my 40 stake truck

Looking forward to coming back out to the event in August.

loudbang, Tim, guthriesmith and 2 others like this.
  30. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Saltflats where did ya get that info, all I find is 2017 dates.
    Tony

loudbang likes this.