Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

GOOD LUCK
    GIVE EM HELL!!!!!!!!!

2. We made it the 150 miles without any issues. The power of the hamb came through again. Tim mckinney set us up with trailer parking at his house. Chris nelson offered up his room at the host hotel. We are looking forward to a good time saturday. Lots of cool cars here. 20170818_171243.jpg

els, bobwop, Stogy and 16 others like this.
  3. Good luck and stay safe !

els, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  4. We won the yahoo cup. Thats a great way to rebound after the meltdown disaster. It gives us a good feeling with drag week coming up. We learned alot on this trip.

els, squirrel, bobwop and 11 others like this.
  5. What did you turn for ET and speed ?

els and loudbang like this.
  6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Could you tell me or point me to the correct page of your build on your cooling system set up? I know I've had to see it,I've been along on the rebuild, plus the 3rd one, couldn't resist, just don't remember. Hope your luck starts to change, you are wayyyyyy over due.

7. The heat index was 109. It was so hot my crew member grabbed the wheeli bars to make a adjustment and blistered his hands. He actually burned both of them. The track was very slick. On and off three times it went 8.93 i was sliding all over the track. I think there were only a few passes in the eights between all of the cars there. Cars i know that are proven 9-8 second cars were in the tens. The pass reminded me what it was like in the 65 awb car pedalling to the finish line
    Pedalling a nitro car is a very delicate thing. If done wrong really really bad things happen. The track was not like the meltdown surface. Still alot of fun.

els, bobwop, Roadsir and 10 others like this.
  8. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Plus the fact your wearing the suit, helmet, and gloves. I raced at Indy one year and when I left the pits it was 104. You got to really love it and be a little crazy to do it when it's like that.

els, OahuEli, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  10. Congrats...

11. Its a unbelievable feeling to pull this off. This car was built on unproven ideas. We thought alot of this would work but didnt know for sure. We casted the line out real far not knowing what would happen. Regardless of what happens in the future we know that all the crazy ideas that went into this car did work. There is plenty of satisfaction right there.

els, bobwop, jackalope and 8 others like this.
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Good job Brian! You deserve a little reward for all your efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Great work well deserved. How hot did it run on the drive in with the trunk off. Going to do that on drag week?

els and racer-x like this.
  14. I'm planning on hitting Byron and Union Grove for drag week. Good Luck !

els, bobwop, racer-x and 1 other person like this.
  15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Hot was the word for the day yesterday, and we could tell from the end of the strip that you could not hook it down. Nobody was having much luck with that.

My son was blown away by your car, as was I. Great job bringing the dream to fruit!

els, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  16. The truck lid will be off for the street driving part of drag week. To make the process of removing it easier i will put studs in the lid. I will also put the oil cooler back on. Was running 180 at 55mph. Pushing it harder made the temp go up. The cooler in the past was good for 10-20 degrees. Pics and videos coming soon. We are almost back at tims place. Car is running great.

els, bobwop, enloe and 3 others like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thought I'd pop online real quick. They left my place around noon for home. Driving 150+ miles to joplin and then to the track for the drags, and then driving back another 150 miles to the trailer in that car is something I don't think a lot of guy would have the stomach for.

Racer-x and company were nothing but pleasant while they saw what this car is going to be like in the real world on a real busy road. It's a production with a lot of moving parts and restraints but He is doing what he has set out to do. Now for all the fine tuning.

I'm sure in a years time the car will be not only a better street car, but a better strip car as well.

kiwijeff, els, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

19. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Not the best pic but got the thumbs up, glad ya made it home.[​IMG]

kiwijeff, els, racer-x and 5 others like this.
  20. Brian, I was very pleased to see the car at the hotel Friday night, didn't see anyone around the car while we were there, but I have to admit I was being a bit of a fanboy as I have been following the saga since you started the thread. The wife wasn't as excited as me to see the car. Had to work Sat so didn't make it to the track, but it made my day to see the car there.
    Thanks for coming down to MoKan, good luck on drag week..

Jason

21. Roadsir

Roadsir

Poor drive by pics but cool none the less. I watched you suite up and could only think how hot that must have been.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff, els, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  22. Cara Marie

Cara Marie

We had the pleasure of hanging out with Brian, Mark, and the car this weekend. He let the whole family lend a hand. Always a great time, even if it's Africa hot out.

Screenshot_20170819-180529.png 20170819_140618.jpg 20170819_135144.jpg 20170819_125810.jpg 20170819_205940(0).jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff, els, egads and 9 others like this.
  23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Brian I'm guessing you get pulled over some? Not like the car is obnoxious or anything, I bet getting that grill shell to fit would tone it down enough to squeak by

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Brian;
    Glad to see things finally going well for you. You keep knocking it out of the park. :D .
    Thanks for doing this n putting it out there, on here.

Will you be able to make it to the Btt50's next year?
    & can this thing idle around w/enough nitro in the tank to let everyone know, w/o hurting the mill? Thinking fairground cruising here. Serious(probably the Stupid Q of the year)Q, not being funny (I literally don't know, I do know it can be done on alky)- but wouldn't want to see the mill hurt in any way.

Marcus...

25. Budget36

Budget36

So cool of you to let the lil one in the car for a pic!

26. It can do it but it would be real expensive and i wouldnt get too far. The tank holds five gallons so thats good for about three minutes of idling. Im not a big fan of those kind of shows. I get bored after the first day. I like more action. I have several friends that go every year. I have gone only once.

27. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

racer-x Thank You for making the trip to the drags. Great to see the car in person after following the build so closely. Your car is a mechanical marvel!

els, loudbang, bobwop and 1 other person like this.
  28. 20170818_130931.jpg A few of my pics. I was able to sit in one of the cars that ruined me as a kid. The original california kid is on display at pete and jakes. For a moment i was marty sheen. The guys at pete and jakes were real cool. They presented the yahoo cup at 9pm at the front enterance of the host hotel. I wàs able to get the full story and history about the origins and meaning of the cup. You dont get to keep the cup. Your name and et are added to the trophy. Its cool to be a part of history. I accepted the trophy with my co-pilot and navigator mark janaky. Right after the presentation the party was on. Tony (aka mcmopar) brought out the shine. The cup was filled with the good stuff and passed around. The shine was so good and smooth it should be illegal. As everyone was getting into a relaxed state the cup was put away to avoid damaging it. Tony is pictured getting his turn. If i remember correctly several turns were taken by everyone until the jug was dry. the ensuing bench racing went on well into the night. great times I wont ever forget. sunday morning came early for the ride back to Kansas city. the car ran great with no issues. we loaded up and made it back home in se wisconsin by 930 pm. TTACH=full]3630268[/ATTACH] 20170819_204550.jpg 20170819_204913.jpg 20170819_205151.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Stogy, els, bobwop and 10 others like this.
  29. Roadsir

Roadsir

Cool, I can't remember are you running E85 on the street? or gas? and percentage of Nitro on the track?

30. Running plain old pump gas. Around my area of the country we can get 93 octane. Most other places its 91. I dont run e-85. For the nitro we run no less than 50 percent all the time. You cant just look at the percentage because there are other factors to consider. Lead in the mag and blower overdrive and static compression make up a big part of the equation. Getting the right balance of the four can make way more power than just throwing more nitro in the tank.

I need to calll out wrench bender with a big thank you. When we went to engage the dual drive i noticed it was able to turn freely. It should be locked in place. I then took the whole drive apart and found the hex shaft broke at the role pin. Thats not good. Wrench bender offered to leave the track and run back home to fix it. It was tig welded to the drive spud then checked in the lathe to make sure it was straight. It looked like a real nice job. He was back with the part in what seemed like only a few minutes. We put it together and fired it up. That was alot of messing around in that heat. Arron and wife carra richardson offered their help doing all kinds of things to take some of the load off mark and myself. Tony and mark from our fine state of wisconsin also pitched in at times. It was a group effort with hard work put in by everyone in the crazy heat. No one was giving up. We all wanted nitro. My biggest little fan also helped out that being arlo richardson. Its fun to have a kid in the pits again. Im working him into a crew member.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017