Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Corvair Adventure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Does this suggest the other 5 plugs didn't like the points gap ? o_O ;)

els and loudbang like this.
  2. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I put a hotted up 102hp engine in my wife's daily Corvair that ate points almost daily until I changed out the distributor. I went through that distributor end to end and never could figure out why it did that. Of course if you own Corvairs, you have an extensive collection of parts and pieces whether you need them or not, so a matching distributor was just a visit to the barn away. It is part of what made building them so fun... they were like adult Legos.:D I haven't had any Vairs for several years and I *still* have a barn full of Corvair parts! It's a disease.

From a Missouri perspective, you car looks really solid. It's better than the bulk of the rusty Corvairs I ran through the stables back in the day. I have some envy for your desert lifestyle.:)

els, LostBoy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you're the man, Jim! love your travel stories

els likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Hotel internet don't work so I'm using my phone. Car ran fine today. The solar panel helps keep the battery up. It's mostly a joke, like every thing else about this rally. Eric who posted that article with the pics of the car, is a fun guy. He was at the meltdowns last month, also.

Long drive tomorrow, need to get some sleep. And I went shopping at Walmart and fixed the seat.

[​IMG]

5. 1st class seat! Does your camera have a limit on pictures?:D.

Carry on and keep having FUN.

Ben

kiwijeff, els and loudbang like this.
  6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

You live a charmed life.

kiwijeff, els, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  7. LostBoy

LostBoy

Wanna get rid of any of those parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

els likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Made it to Santa Cruz. Lost one of the nuts that holds on the exhaust flange, easy fix. The little car cruises pretty nice at 70.

Lots of eclipse fans heading north into Oregon. Going to be a real mess over the next few days.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The lack of solar fuel or lack of space or both.

kiwijeff, brEad, LostBoy and 3 others like this.
  10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm as usual, enjoying the hell outta Jim and his brother's exploits and the bits and pieces about the Corvair. Road trip threads are always fun, and the Corvair part keeps it interesting.
    But all the chatter about the sound system and wht music being played? Not so much.

scrapiron, els and olscrounger like this.
  11. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

That sound system puts a huge smile on my face. Really enjoying the thread, keep the rubber side down and have fun!

els likes this.
  12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Replying from the HAMB drags!

Yes I would part with some parts. I'll send PM.

Be careful out there Mr Squirrel. All those eclipse drivers will be looking up for a change!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff and els like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

At the Concours dLemons. A few interesting cars. Lots of Lemons.

14. I think Clint Eastwood lives in the Carmel area, if you run into him he may want his haircut back... lol

Love your stories man-you and your brother live a good life.

15. rfraze

rfraze

I've got an old Parker buggy w/Corvair Glide I would sell. Right now it has a reverse rotation 215 Buick in it. I want to keep the engine. That would make for something cool and fun to tow with yours.

16. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks better than an upside down milk crate. ha ha

17. squirrel

squirrel

The Muntz Jet was a featured car on the Concours. Two of them. One with a Hemi, one with a Lincoln flatty.

I'm heading to interstate 80 to see how close I can get to the eclipse. Wish me luck.

[​IMG]

18. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

30 mile backup into Bend I heard.

20. Jiminy

Jiminy

Sisters, Oregon - northwest of Bend - is being evacuated because of wildfires.

21. Be careful around the eclipse with that big solar panel. :cool: You might cause a brownout! :p

catdad49, Woogeroo, Truck64 and 4 others like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

I'm heading east, towards Idaho. Near Elko Nevada right now. Then north towards Arco.

23. Roll on Jimmy! :)

24. Hey Jim, I still have family in the Shoshone, Idaho area and they claim lots of visitors with the same plan are ahead of you, so if you and you brother aren't comfortable sleeping in the Corvair on the side of the road you might consider setting up camp along the Snake River somewhere (i.e. Twin Falls, Jerome, Paul?) as there isn't much for accommodations north of there. See the sites today and plan for an early departure tomorrow.

loudbang likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

David went off with his girlfriend to Portland. I'm traveling alone. But planning to meet up with my son in Arco in a couple hours. Everything is very normal in Twin Falls right now. I stopped for lunch there.

I slept a few hours in the car last night. I'm still alive. No problem.

26. Arco, near Craters of the Moon National Monument. Well within the path of totality, looks like a good minute and a half. Well done.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  27. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Wow, the little Corvair that could!
    "Hopefully we'll make it to California"

firstinsteele likes this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

We're going to see if we can find a place to camp right on the center line of the eclipse.

[​IMG]

The lava at craters of the moon

warbird1, catdad49, kiwijeff and 9 others like this.
  29. You are already pretty close. Be careful stumbling around "Craters", those sharp ones leave a permanent impression. I grew up in Twin Falls and you shouldn't have anything to worry about, at least from the locals, north of there. The further you are from town out there, the closer you are to home, if you know what I mean.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  30. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

35 years ago my friend Scott totaled his '53 Chev AD PU in Craters of the Moon. Was on his way back to Seattle, at which point he and I planned to drive said truck to Mexico along with another friend. Wound up doing the trip in a '67 Dodge Dart, presented to us as a kind of consolatioin prize by the other friend's grandfather. "If you can get it running, you can have it." We got it running.

Ah, road trip memories. Geat thread, squirrel!

catdad49, loudbang and firstinsteele like this.