Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 215 mig vs ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I was once told by a fellow hamberino that whenever I get into welding to get a Lincoln 215 mig welder. And that stayed in my mind. But why a 215 and why Lincoln? Will Miller do the same job or "x brand". Will a 180 not hold up for car fabrication?. What's the big difference when It come to 100 mig machine to a 215. Or a 180 to 215?.
    I would like to know the theory behind it, thanks

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Lincoln, Miller and Hobart are all good machines. All have comparable spool guns and the parts, nozzles, tips, liners, etc are easy to purchase. The 180 machines are dual voltage meaning you can power it with 120 or 230 volts. If I'm not mistaken the 215 is a 208/230 machine. You can do most automotive jobs with a 180, I have used mine for years. Simply put, the higher the number, the more powerful the machine. You need to ask yourself if you really need a machine that will weld 1/2" material or one that will do 1/4" stock suffice. Some will tell you to purchase the biggest machine you can afford but that's up to you and your budget. DO NOT purchase any welder from Harbor Freight.

3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What ever brand, I'd suggest one criteria for decision is who has replacement parts............
    On a Saturday afternoon.

49ratfink, els, raven and 3 others like this.

5. X3^^^^^^^

I like HF for a lot of things, but a used Miller or Lincoln are a better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

I guess I should get rid of my Harbor Freight stick welder that I use on all of my heavier metal projects like welding trailer frames etc.
    It would be a shame though it works so well , but if an expert says don't buy one then I need to get rid of it right away.

tubman, Texas57, els and 4 others like this.
  7. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

This threads gonna go south quick. It's like ford vs Chevy vs dodge. If you're a beginner and want to learn, buy a cheapo and practice. If money is not an issue,buy a Miller,Lincoln, or a Hobart. Its a lot easier to learn with a good machine. Just my honest opinion.

els, biggeorge and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  8. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i have a 215 miller, and its the best i have ever owned. this is my 4th mig. i believe and have been told by a welding instuctor that millers are under rated. what i mean is they have more power than what is rated. if you have a problem with miller it can be fixed. parts are avalible, and easy to get. this miller has a good feel, and if you have welded enuff, you know what im talking about. i am completly satisfied. by what you can afford, but if you dont have enuff power for what your welding, you will be dissapointed.

els and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  9. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Tweco has their fabricator line of inverter welders. Wire stick and D.C. Tig. Dual voltage. I have the 211i and like it. Check out deals at Indiana oxygen. They sell online.

10. Whatever brand you buy get the most powerful one you can afford . You will never want a smaller one .

49ratfink, els, brEad and 2 others like this.
  11. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I am a beginner and I want to learn. It's okay. Most my post end up going south hahaha. Above when it was stated MOST jobs can be done with a 180 what would be the jobs you couldn't do?

I don't understand the 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch compassion. Does this imply the thickness of the weld being thrown down?

And when it comes to voltage like 120 vs 230 does this mean that the 230 volt will be tripping my circuits.

Thanks again

els likes this.
  12. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

1/2" to 1/4" comparison is metal thickness. Need to have a 220 outlet to use 220( or 230) volt welder. 110 (or 120) volt is normal household current.

13. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

els likes this.
  14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

So what does one do when all they have is voltage set up for 120?

So the 1/2 & 1/4 example is the thickness of metal I can work on? Not the size of the bead that will come out the mig?

els likes this.
  15. I not only agree with the above statement, but thought it needed to be stated again. I have a Lincoln 255SP for my MIG welding, and a Miller for TIG and stick. Both operate on 220, single phase. (I also have a Miller Dimension 400, but that is a 3 phase welder and a Miller Big 40, but that is just because I can).
    I have never used a Hobart, but I would buy one in a heartbeat.

16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Google is your best friend ...watch videos...

49ratfink, els, clunker and 2 others like this.
  17. X10! I use youtube and Google all the time.

49ratfink, els, clunker and 1 other person like this.
  18. our school has 2 red welders
    dozens of blue ones and some new yellow ones

I have a Hobart at home and love it

always buy a 230volt unit when possible

49ratfink, els and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  19. leon bee

leon bee

If you got any kind of normal breaker box, you can get 220 out of it. Keep one hand on your butt while working there if you don't know what you're doing.

Texas57, els, Del Maguey and 4 others like this.
  20. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I bought a used Hobart 140 to do sheet metal rust repair on my avatar truck. I use it with .023 wire and ArCo2 gas and it works great.

els, mikhett, patmanta and 1 other person like this.
  21. I put in a 50 amp 220 circuit, with a dedicated breaker, for the welders. The wire is expensive, but then you have the power where you need it.

49ratfink, els, pat59 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

Do you have an electric dryer in the garage?..If so, you have a 220volt, 30 or 40amp circuit, can easily handle a 220v welder for automobile use.

Texas57, els and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  23. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Miller 150 which, at the time, was the smallest 240 available. That's been about 20 years ago, I think.

It is a better welder than I am by far and I would not trade it for anything.

I would suggest a quick MIG course from your local high school vo-tec. They turned me into a kinda welder instead of a sure thing grinder.

24. My dryer circuit is only 25 amps, but my stove circuit is 60 amps. Before I ran my dedicated line, I bought a range cord from Goodwill, and made an extension cord to plug in. It worked great.

els, clunker and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

Ya, that range cable is good stuff, back in 60's my Dad was at a guys place who had about 150 foot roll of it, he told my Dad if he could sell his set of golf clubs for him, he'd give my Dad the roll, my Dad asked him how much he wanted for the clubs, he guy told him 6 bucks, my Dad bought his clubs, and took the roll of cable,been one heck of an extension cord ever since!

26. What a steal! I haven't priced 60 amp wire lately, but here, depending which wire you buy, is $2.00 to $15.00 per ft. Was he looking over his shoulder all the way home?

27. Budget36

Budget36

Lol!...Keep in mind this was over 50 years ago too.

28. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks guys this thread has thought me a lot. I'm glad I started it

els likes this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

If you only have 110 in your shop then I recommend a Hobart 140 . It won't weld the thick stuff , but will weld 1/8th in wall box tubing no problem with .030 wire.
    Uses Miller replacement parts. At least the wand switch is a Miller part. That's the only part I have needed in the 6 years I have had mine.
    Bought mine at Tractor Supply on sale for less than 500 bucks.

els, patmanta, Sporty45 and 1 other person like this.
  30. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Since you are just beginning, have you considered a TIG machine? They are more versatile, for me at least, than the other types of machines. At one point in my life I made a living using MIG, stick and TIG and used to own a nice Lincoln MIG set up. I finally sold it and purchased a 2016 AHP Alpha TIG 2000. I upgraded it to water cooled and 25' leads and never looked back, 200 amps? no problem. I can now weld in the garage without the mess of weld splatter everywhere, not to mention welding in a tee shirt, shorts and flip flops!

els and Nezzy51 like this.