Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville Pit Road Accident

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

els likes this.
  2. aircap

aircap

Ye Gods.

els likes this.
  3. Two spectator vehicles on an access road. . No racers or crews involved.

els and loudbang like this.
  4. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Bizarre.

els and hotrob32 like this.

5. 55chevr

55chevr

SCTA FB has it as, "A traffic accident involving two support teams". TV station website KSL.com reports head on accident on Salt Flats. Video shows a pickup truck and a van on the salt surface. The area is between "Lands end" and the pits.
    Joe

els likes this.
  6. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Someone mentioned something about death being involved.. I sincerely hope this is not true. Hope everyone's ok.

els likes this.
  7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife (a hotrod gal) was telling me a few hours ago that there was quite some info on Facebook - we have friends racing at Speed Week so she gets regular info - and sadly there appears to be one death. Terrible.
    Chris

els likes this.
  8. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

The 4 in the pickup were all our friends and participants. Chris Clay was killed and the other 3 are in a Salt Lake City hospital with serious injuries. I don't know about the others in the van. Keep Chris Clays family and all the injured in your thoughts and prayers.
    steve nelson

9. heart broken.....

els likes this.
  10. 34Larry

34Larry

So, so, so sorry to hear of this. Death has visited me this year (53 y.o. daughter, (car girl at heart). All my sympathy, prayers and all go out to the family & friends of Chris even though I did not know him.

els likes this.
  11. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

That's awful. Definitely thinking about them and keeping everyone in my prayers

els likes this.
  12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That's awful. Thoughts and prayers with all involved. Lippy

els likes this.
  13. Nobey

Nobey

So very sad, prayers to his family and friends......

els likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Clay family and friends on thier loss of Chris. Thoughts are with the others for a speedy recovery from this tragedy.
    Thanks @Speed Gems and @Liberty Garage for bringing this sad news to our attention.

c1067 and els like this.
  15. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Terrible news. Best wishes to the survivors and my condolences to the family and friends of the one who didn't make it.

els likes this.
  16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sad to hear..Stuff happens..I have to commend the news station for an excellent report..

els and Speed Gems like this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have driven hundreds of times from roads end to the pits or starting line. It seems every one looks for the smoothest way and it's easy to be distracted if your also listening to the broadcasts on the radio or CB. The SCTA places a cone line normally for the center of the road way air did the last time I was there.
    Not knowing them, but 4 in the front seat of a single cab pick up (which is what I understand) was not the wisest thing even just going to or from roads end. I feel for those involved and their families..

els likes this.
  18. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Prayers,,,oh maaannn.

els likes this.
  19. NonitroHammond

NonitroHammond
    from california

do you know what the car number was

das858 and els like this.
  20. The fear of injury or worse yet death is always in the back of the mind on the salt but a bazaar accident like this seems so strange,especially when it doesn't involve racing.

Condolences to the family's of all that were involved. HRP

fiveoh108 and els like this.
  21. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

The car they where racing was number 1166 C/GL McCambridge Bros Trucking owned by Rick McCambridge. Rick was seriously injured in the accident as well as Erick Burns (Tweety Bird Honda) and Dale Charles.
    This group is from Sonoma Ca. and we have been going to Bonneville for many years together. Losing Chris Clay really makes you think about how precious life is.
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts
    steve

els and Nobey like this.
  22. 3340

So sad!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  23. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

WOW! Don't want to even think about the family's pain. May God rest his soul and a speedy quick recovery to all the others involved.

els likes this.
  24. choptop40

choptop40

Yes, best wishes for all..

els likes this.
  25. So sorry to hear of this. That is one skinny, bumpy high crowned road that is not well maintained and people drive it at 60-70 mph all the time. Maybe the state will do a little work on it now. It'd be nice to think Chris' passing brought a little more safety to the people driving that road in the future... bville41onaccessroad.jpg

els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't think it was on the paved road. It was on the salt.

Clemine and els like this.
  27. I was concerned about getting clipped from the side by a car I couldn't see overtaking us, but I cannot understand the head-on unless someone just simply decided to cut in front of someone even tho they knew it would be close. No excuse for that if the car is plain to see in front of you.

Too jazzed up after a high speed run? I understand how everything feels like slow motion for a while.
    Take a breather to let the rush fade down a bit.....

why be ordinary?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    els likes this.
  28. The video shows the accident scene on the salt, not on the road.

els likes this.
  29. deucemac

deucemac

I was on the salt crewing the 358 C/GR from Thursday until the wind hold on Monday. We drove/towed from the pits to the rookie course several times and found ALL the access roads horrible. Chuck holes and ruts everywhere especially driving to the short or rookie course along the dike. Just slop and holes. I can easily imagine someone hooking a wheel in one of the endless ruts and holes and veering off course into the path of another vehicle coming at you. I'm not saying that happened in this accident but it is reasonable to assume. Picture the surface of a golf ball laid flat with some of the dimples deeper or rearranged with the average dimple being 12" across and you get the idea of what we were dealing with. The SCTA drug all the lanes as good as possible but mother nature had more control . I've been coming to Bonneville for ever it seems but this was a miserable year for salt conditions on and of the course. Bonneville racing is a family and the loss of any member of that family is a personal blow to all of us. Terribly sad.

Stogy, els, lothiandon1940 and 2 others like this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is not the Bonneville coverage I was looking for, very sad. Prayers going out to all. Bob

els and deucemac like this.