Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Cars that made America

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gregg Pellicer, Aug 14, 2017.

1. flux capacitor likes this.
  2. noboD

noboD

If anyone has been to the Henry Ford museum there is a green Wills St. Claire roadster there. I am told Wills , an ex-employee and friend, gave it to Henry and Henry allowed Evangeline to drive it a few years. When she tired of it Henry put it the museum and it's still there. What an arrogant SOB.

3. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

WTF was up with segment on the development of the GTO? A Buick 4 dr? Really?

robracer1 likes this.
  4. Boondoggle

Boondoggle

And he was street racing it against what looked like a modern pro-touring looking 55 Chevy

5. TV has been a wasteland for decades bot its better than 90% of the other garbage on there.

rc57 and da34guy like this.
  6. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Soooo, you don't like the Kardashians , huh??? hahahahaha...They are talentless, true.
    You are right though, 90% trash on TV these days. Including most of the stuff on velocity or whatever its called now.

7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I saw that too. WTF????

8. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Thats brcause he knew that nailhead was a much better engine than anything Pontiac could build! No hate mail, just shittin ya. Some of the gross screw ups in the show almost made you think it was a cartoon!!

9. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

From Wikipedia: "Oldsmobile was a brand of American automobiles produced for most of its existence by General Motors. Olds Motor Vehicle Co. was founded by Ransom E. Olds in 1897."

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

11. Graystoke

Graystoke

I was greatly disappointed.

Al Consoli and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I at least expected the "History" channel to get it right. I think I'd rather watch "Fast and Loudmouth".

13. Just be glad the idiots who wrote and produced this nonsense weren't designing and manufacturing vehicles.

egads likes this.
  14. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

I'll agree on your nailhead comment. To add, Iacocca said GM would never let him produce it with 300 hp. But the 401 in that Buick had much more and had been in production for some years.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. CruZer

CruZer

My complaint is the inaccuracies. I can tell the script wasn't written by old time car guys.Maybe some were consultants but they must have been overruled on some details. John Delorean goes drag racing on Woodward in a 225 Buick 4 door? Come on !!!

edcodesign likes this.
  16. CruZer

CruZer

And it was a 1956 Merc with an overhead !!!!

17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I noticed that blooper also ! Ed.

18. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bad details for sure !

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

I didn't like how they were implying that GM brass was concerned with the flathead v8 being more powerful than their offerings at the time. We all here know that the flathead's days were done by the mid 50s as an early hemi, OHV Caddy, early Nailhead or Olds would trounce it any day.

20. Budget36

Budget36

Heck, my Dad told me of the days when even the 235's were out running the FH V8's, funny, in the next breath he said "not that I ever raced"...

21. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I saw parts of it. I think of the show as an introduction to automotive history. Most people have no idea that Chevrolet, Dodge, Chrysler, etc. Were actual people. As such, they would never notice the details we see. Plus, I expect nothing less from tv. It's all crap. My family watches big bang theory. God I hate that show.

chevy57dude likes this.
  22. [​IMG]

1936 Cord Sedan Automobile Photo Poster Dick Powell & Joan Blondell

dana barlow likes this.
  23. IMG_20170817_170342381.jpg So the ''cutaway in motion'' of the Firepower Hemi engine doesn't even come close to representing a 4 cycle operation. Episode 3 I believe.
    The Queen thinks I overreact by yelling at the TV for stuff like this. The piston never moved and the charge entered the chamber, fired and exhausted. Argh. Crappy cell phone pic of the ancient shop TV.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  24. B Ramsey - We share the pain. I hear that stupid laugh track and can't change the channel fast enough!

25. mickeyc

mickeyc

I watched most of the series. I found it to be poorly made. and repetitive.
    after each commercial break there was a lengthy summery of the previous segment. Also as some one else mentioned the timing of events seemed to be out of sequence.

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I watched until the 56 Merc was palmed off as a 52 Chevy with a flathead. If a GM engineer wanted to show a Chevy with a V8, He only had to look to Olds or Cad for a doner. I gave up then. Worst auto history show I have ever seen part of.

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I forgot to set my DVR and after reading this thread, I'm glad I did!