Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New project 47 Ford Pickup. "Scarface"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Early Ironman, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Bought this 47 Ford pickup from my uncle a couple months ago. Have not picked it up yet. Will in about 3 weeks.
    He was restoring it and almost finished.
    Had it outside under one of those cheap tarp and frame carports. While he was building his new shop.
    While it was under that cover. A strong wind separated the lines holding it to the anchors. Causing one leg to scrape the passenger side A pillar down to metal.
    That wind blew the wind out of the old uncles sail and it has sat since.

Plan to finish getting it together, lower it, put a little chrome on it, then send it down the road to the next guy.

I think with the jailbar grill and the scraped paint on the A pillar.
    Scarface suits it pretty well.

Thought about fixing it, painting it two-tone, or leaving it alone.
    Leaning towards leaving the paint alone.

. 1464970005780.jpg 1464970016324.jpg 1464970024108.jpg 1464970030741.jpg 1464970037991.jpg 1464970045947.jpg 1464970060273.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. A jail bar makes a nice ride.

3. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thanks man,
    I like them too! Still prefer my 41 though. Problem will be keeping my wife from getting attached to this one too!

Sent from my SM-N900V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

5. Nice looking truck.

6. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG]
    After fighting this hub with various regular pullers and heat for three days. I broke down and bought this specialty hub puller from Vintage Precision. Did not want to fork out the $138.00 with shipping. But it did take less than a minute to break each side loose once I applied the right tool for the job.
    So, the time saved in fighting this job is worth the price paid!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. jkski

jkski

Very nice ride. They really are great trucks ,stock or hot rodded.

8. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Some progress on Scarface this week. Still waiting on a bunch of parts to arrive to make more headway on the old man.
    Been taking this time to work on the 54 instead.
    Removed the front bumper and have an idea what I will do. A lot of people change the front end of these trucks because they think it is ugly.
    Maybe so, but I still like it.
    What I plan to do is take a couple old 50 Ford bumper guards. Use them as bumperetts but fill in the angled curve where it bolts to the bumper. Making it look like it was made for the pickup. Then cut the center out of the front pumper and add it between the bumper guards.

9. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG]
    Got Scarface running a couple days ago. But the fuel pump shit the bed. Expected the diaphragm to be dry rotted anyway. New one should be here tomorrow. Might be able to drive it this week. Has not been registered since 1982.
    Put a lot of work into it the past six months. As soon as it is done. This old boy will be on Craigslist shortly after.
    Going to buy all the materials to paint my 54 with some of the money from this.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  10. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Took Scarface around the block a couple times. Drives better than I expected. Had not been on the road for 35 years.
    Will start finishing the wiring and getting the bed bolted down now.

exterminator, ST62 and Stogy like this.
  11. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Well,
    Scarface is almost ready for Craigslist now. Had done more work to it over the past year than I had anticipated. But that is the nature of the hobby. Finally got the generator charging this week. Buffed and waxed the truck. Need to paint and reinstall the grill, and finish wiring the tail lights. Then off the the next home and back to work on my 54.
    [​IMG]

exterminator and Surfcityrocker like this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Someone's going to get a nice truck. Good job on her.

Early Ironman likes this.
  13. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

nice truck it would look nice lower a little like that 40 looks cool :cool:

14. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Man, did that come out nice! So, the wife didn't get attached to it? Good luck with the sale.

15. Boy she cleaned up nice. Some ones going to get a NICE driver. Good luck with her. Bruce.

16. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thank you, I think it would look great a bit lower as well. But will leave that to the new owner.

17. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Haha! Funny you say that. Yes, she is getting attached to it and hopes it doesn't sell very fast.
    But I want more space, time, and some money to throw at my 54 now.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  18. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG]
    Took Scarface out for a test drive. Had not been driven since 1980. Felt good to get the old truck back on the road.

19. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Would be hard to let that one go for me. Looks good!!

20. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Ya know, I wasn't a total fan of the jail bar trucks even to the point of going on the photoshop thread and asking for possible changes to improve the looks........BUT after seeing this one you've changed my mind!!

21. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I have always felt the same way about these trucks. But have to say this one has grown on me.

22. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where are you located? - you should update your profile to show that. I might be interested but distance will be a factor.

By the way, the truck looks awesome.

23. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

His plate on the 41 above says Washington state.

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Jailbar trucks have always been my least favorite, but a couple of years back there was an elder gent at Billetproof, in Vallejo. He had a primered Jailbar with a grille that was so straight I looked it over...carefully.
    Man, how I never appreciated this year surprised me! Cab, bed, and the straight vertical bar grille!
    Reminded me of my wilder days, lookin' thru dem bars from the inside! Nostalgia? Hope not! :eek:

But yours, IRONMAN... Sharp is an understatement. Green (My late Dad's favorite color, not mine) Well, the metallic green on Scarface is striking. Makes every curve worth studying. I'd buy that truck in a flash...
    Oh, oh. I already have a '55 Effie and a '50 F1! Guess I'm full up with trucks...Love that green!

25. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

I had never cared for these trucks until my late Father gave me this one. It had been sitting in a old barn for years in disrepair. Now I think they are my favorite.

26. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

What's not to love!

27. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Ok, ok, I've GOTTA do it: What's the asking price? Washington state is far from SoCal but I have a nephew there.....you now how the rest of that sentence goes! Lol

28. Budget36

Budget36

Nice truck!

Back in about '91, I was looking for an engine for my forklift, and a guy sent me out to the middle of nowhere to a ranch, the owner didn't have a engine for me, but in a shed I spied what looked like the back of a '40 Ford PU, I asked about it, and the guy told me it was a '42...I'm thinking, "effer is nuts, hey didn't make vehicles in '42", now the fenders and front sheetmetal was all piled up in the bed, I'm thinking it's a '41 sold late, as he showed me the title and it said '42...so we make a deal on it, I go back and get a trailer to haul it home, pull all the sheet metal out of the bed...and think "WTF did I just buy"?

Anyways, I too fell for them after I put it back together...yes,still wish it was a '41, but still liked it as well as any pre-war truck I've had.

29. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Just posted Scarface on Craigslist last night for 14,000.
    Still have a few things to do to it. But waiting on parts.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I'm up here in Seattle.[​IMG]

exterminator likes this.
  30. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG]
    Ahh, shop space is ready for me to get back to work on the 54 now