Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chopped Chevy Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RMONTY, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Looking real good, RMONTY.

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Front end rebuild going on this weekend. I scored (or will soon) a 54 steering box. Thanks to a fellow HAMBer. Hope to have that lil jewel by next weekend sometime. One piece at a time.....

koolkemp likes this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks Bob.....I looked for some pics of your cars and dont see to find any. Post up a couple! I'd be interested in seeing them. It may be inspirational!:cool:

4. I'm no good at posting pics here, don't have a smart phone either .... told me I was not smart enough.
    But ..... pics of both cars sent to your email address. o_O

5. RMONTY

RMONTY

Finally have a roller! I feel like I am finally making some progress!
    IMG_6913.jpg IMG_6914.jpg IMG_6916.jpg IMG_6917.jpg

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

That's awesome! I can't wait till you start on the body! I've wanted to chop one of these since I saw one chopped 5 inches ( 54 Chev) at a show 20 yrs or so ago . I picked up a really rough 54 delivery last fall, needs a parts car lol. Your build has me thinking of whacking it .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. RMONTY

RMONTY

I got the body set back on temporarily to make sure the pedals all lined up on the M/C bracket I made up. They clear the holes in the toeboard just fine. I am going to raise the body back off tomorrow and pull the M/C bracket and final weld everything, sandblast and paint it, and paint the M/C and put it all back in. I also made sure the parking brake cable setup I picked up is going to work. It did. I just need to mount the bracket now. I needed to hook the parking brake linkage up to pinpoint the bracket location.

Went to the Decatur Swap Meet today and picked up everything I need except for a couple of 90* fittings to get the brakes plumbed. That should happen tomorrow too.

koolkemp likes this.
  8. 1961 Poncho

1961 Poncho
    from Las Vegas

Find your 54 SD yet?

9. RMONTY

RMONTY

Making some good forward progress. Trying to get as much done as I can before the end of next month. Going to be out of commission for about 6 weeks as it's time to get the ol' right shoulder rebuilt....All I lack really to fire the engine up is some headers.....I hope to have those in here in a couple of weeks or so and I will fire the engine and do the break-in. IMG_6927.JPG IMG_6930.jpg IMG_6933.jpg IMG_6934.jpg IMG_6935.jpg IMG_6936.jpg

brEad, kiwijeff, koolkemp and 4 others like this.
  10. gsheppard

gsheppard
    from colorado

Always been a Sedan Delivery lover, have a 54 Chevy that I've owned since 1976, was my daily driver for many years with a 401 Nailhead and 400 twin pitch trans. Retired it from the street about 30 yrs ago when the steering box got so sloppy that I was in danger of piling it up...been languishing for awhile, but am planning on an LS3 6spd auto. I have a 8.8 Exploder disc brake 3.73 locker for it to replace the 57 Chev posi in it, have a Heidt MII front for it, but am still looking at the Jag XJ6 front..I have swapped the front doors from a 2 dr sedan, moved the B post back 7", what an improvement in looks, ingress/egress as well as seeing out of it. Mine is a pretty solid car, only really needing floor sections (toe boards are good) I have outer 2dr rockers even though mine aren't too bad, but the longer door kind of neccetates (?) this. I think the inners are fine, and a couple forward body mount are a bit rotted. Need to get it pulled out of the corner, pull the front clip and motor/trans and get it to the blaster......need to snap some up to date photos.

Atwater Mike, telekenfun and brEad like this.
  11. RMONTY

RMONTY

Post up some inspiration pics!

12. Your chassis is looking great.
    Best of luck on your shoulder surgery!
    Looking forward to seeing your progress in the future.
    Here's a little inspiration.
    1941 Chev 0 sedan delivery PC.JPG

1941 Chev Sedan Delivery front.jpg

chryslerfan55 and koolkemp like this.
  13. earthbound

earthbound

Progress is looking great! I know this is probably irrelevant now but i think the original front clip on the frame is from an S10. Keep up the good work!

14. RMONTY

RMONTY

Followed up with the doc today....2 week post op...now the requisite 4-6 weeks rehab. It'll be a month or two before I get much done but thankful I had the means to get it fixed. I have a 51 2 door that I need to get before it's gone. I was thinking about seeing if Moose could doctor up a long door sedan delivery. Long doors and chopped...anyone ever see one?

koolkemp likes this.
  15. RMONTY

RMONTY

IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0270.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0274.JPG IMG_0275.JPG So through some bargaining I ended up with this....free gratis. Lots of good outer sheet metal and roached out floors. Would it be a sin to cut up the 2 door for the Sedan Delivery? Graft the back of the SD to the 2 DR and build some floor panels? It looks do-able. All there is is 2 ol piles of rust. Why not cut em up?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    brEad, chryslerfan55, drdave and 3 others like this.
  16. I think that would be an excellent idea. Change the quarters at the B post factory seam. Add some length in the top with One seam and reset the back door angle to stock while doing it. That's a win win deal all the way around. If I remember correct the Sedan doors are 2" longer so I'd add that in the wheel base to take advantage of the longer doors and not shorten the quarters.
    The Wizzard

chryslerfan55 and drdave like this.
  17. scott51

scott51

yeah agreed, plus I really want to follow along as you do it.
    Looks like the delivery floorpan is the same as the cars at least up to the rear seat area? So maybe fix the sedan floors and rockers while it's still in one piece on the original chassis and you've got something factory to work from.

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

That's what I would do if I had both cars! Before I got sick for my 54 I was dreaming of a Moonglow inspired, chopped hard topped sedan delivery...white pearl, 55 Chevy front bumper ,55 Pontiac rear bumper...had it all imagined ! I say go for it and take lots of pics please!

chryslerfan55 and drdave like this.
  19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Been putting in some work on my project. I got the 2 door donor cleaned out a bit. Found all the window garnishes and some other stuff in the trunk along with a cat skeleton. :eek: I talked to the lady I got the car from and asked her if she lost a cat and she said yes, about 10 years ago. I asked her if she wanted it back and she declined. Here are a couple of pics.....none of the cat though.... 2 DR Pass Side.jpg IMG_7030.JPG IMG_7031.JPG IMG_7034.JPG IMG_7035.JPG IMG_7036.JPG IMG_7037.JPG IMG_7038.JPG IMG_7046.JPG

Attached Files:

20. RMONTY

RMONTY

So this morning I started dragging some old cars around with the tractor. IMG_7043.JPG IMG_7045.JPG

21. RMONTY

RMONTY

I got everything all set up, pushed the sad (not a typo) delivery into the shop and extricated the shell from the r*tr*d frame that will go on Craigslist today, cut everything loose, and lifted the body off the frame and dragged that POS frame out of the way.....it might bring a few bucks, or it might become a hayride wagon or something to use around my place. IMG_7047.JPG IMG_7048.JPG IMG_7049.JPG IMG_7050.JPG IMG_7051.JPG IMG_7052.JPG

22. This has to make you feel good, getting back to where you wanted to be all along.
    The Wizzard

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. RMONTY

RMONTY

Well thats about it for the day, other than cleaning up the mess made, sitting back and deciding where to start cutting. I needed a bit of forward momentum to get the project moving again, and I think I accomplished that today.

Yes Pist-n-Broke.....it's been almost 2 years since I drug this car out of the field and the project has grown but little by little it is getting there! It definitely feels good to be making some forward progress! IMG_7053.JPG IMG_7054.JPG IMG_7055.JPG IMG_7056.JPG

Outback, brEad, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  24. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Looking good! Keep at it.

25. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I note that you have headers! Have you run the engine yet>

26. RMONTY

RMONTY

No I haven't fired it up yet. Thats on the short list of things to get done!

27. I'll assume you decided to stay with stock wheel base.

28. RMONTY

RMONTY

Stretching the frame is a bit more than I am ready to do at this point. You can see the chalk lines I drew on both sides in a couple of the pics above. I think there is plenty of room left after adding the longer doors. The Sedan doors are about 6.5" longer than the stock doors. I am going to throw the spare Sedan door that came with the donor on there and step back from it and see if it looks goofy. That should give a good visual. I may go see Mr. Moose on the photoshop thread and see if he can't doctor up a picture of it as well before I break out the cutting tools.

29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Wow, Dont know how I missed this, Ambitious and inspirational, I will be lookin forward to seein more.
    ....Thought I was the only one slippin and usin the cub zero turn to drag and push this old stuff around:D
    [​IMG]

30. RMONTY

RMONTY

Lol! I use that and the old 9N. Which ever one isn't busy at the time. I don't pull too hard with the zero turn. I need to build a push bumper for the 9N though. I work alone most of the time so both machines are my helpers!

chryslerfan55 and low budget like this.