Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T Bucket Interiors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Aug 12, 2017.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm far from being ready for an interior in my build, but during these times I like to plan future steps. Today, I'm day dreaming about interior/seating options. My last T Bucket had a bench seat, but this time around I'm thinking of maybe Bomber seats..... or not. Here's a pic of my last T Bucket interior. The bottom was padded and lifted out. The back was padded and folded forward.

[​IMG]

So, what have you other Bucket heads come up with? Naturally, pics and a brief explanation of build and comfort would be cool, too.:)

AHotRod, Dannerr, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  2. Subscribed. I'm hoping what I've got will be decent. I bought some surplus seat frames for a HMMWV awhile back to use in my t when it is done. They're low back buckets. Think I paid $20 for the pair new. Figured I'd get the frames powder coated so they won't wear through and then have cushions made from high density foam wrapped in a water resistant fabric. Hopefully they'll work out but they've likely got a few more years before they'll see use.

loudbang likes this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

4. Blake 27

Blake 27

A lift out bench seat gives room under and access to mechanicals. 13.JPG DSC06173.JPG DSC06174.JPG

5. Fred,I will get you a couple of photos of fellow club member Steve's T next time I see him,it's got a pretty nice interior although it is a bench seat. HRP

tfeverfred likes this.
  6. I used white tuck and roll along with a few buttons to define the top roll. Seat bottom has foam over webbing and sit on an adjustable height frame. Fair amount of storage space under the seat, too.
    Ardun in T.JPG

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, HRP! I'm undecided on bench or buckets, so all suggestions are welcome. I just want to see what other guys have done and how they dealt with the limited space in a T Bucket.

8. On an older build, I used brown diamond tuft, removable seat bottom, too; but I put fuse panel and wiring there, learned my lesson on better for use of the space for next time.
    Carrie in T.jpeg

biggeorge, Hombre, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I used a removable seat on the bench in my last T. Man, I had a LOT of stuff under there, including the fuse box. My plan this time is to have the seats closer to the floor and have it or them, tilt forward. Storage and the fuse box would be behind the seat. Or at least that's one plan.

Here's what I've found so far:

http://corbeau.com/bench-seats/42-baja-bench.html

http://corbeau.com/fixed-back-seats/baja-low-back.html

If you look at the video, these seats have vertical tabs for mounting to a frame that would attach to the floor. That space looks like it would be about 2". No room for storage, but maybe a fuse box. The angle of the seat back allows for a cavity behind the seat. That's why I would make the seats able to tilt forward. With the fuse box and a small storage behind them.

My other option is to mount either the buckets or the bench to a box about 4" tall. That space would be for storage and a fuse box.

And of course, my last option is to do like I did before and make my own bench seat with a lift off seat bottom. My budget may make this my best option, but I'm looking at it from all angles.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Blues4U, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

What a little cutie. You've been blessed.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ls1yj, Hombre, Fordor Ron and 2 others like this.
  11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred I love that Baha Bench seat. You couldn't have a seat like that upholstered for $400. If you have room for it. Looks like the backrest is padded pretty thick. You could probably hinge the whole seat so it folds forward.

tfeverfred likes this.
  12. Thanks, that's my granddaughter Ardun.

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  13. Fred; you will have more room to work with, using the stretch body; but I wouldn't squander any on the space needed for those aftermarket seats. Best use of T interior space has always been building the seat back into the rear of the body, with minimum padding, maximizing leg room and permitting lower seat base height.

Driver50x, tfeverfred, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have had them with both bomber style and bench seats. I like the buckets if it is a race car or replica, but the space that you loose between the seats is precious, but you know that. IMG_1145.JPG

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As you may already know I have Frank Wallic aluminum bomber seats that are mounted right on the floor and then I had 4" thick pads made for the bottom and 2" thick pads for the backs.

They give me every bit as much seating area as a bench seat in the same space would.

I know that my steel RPU body is not a T bucket but the space (or lack of it :D ) is similar.
    IMG_0570.JPEG IMG_0571.JPEG IMG_0489.JPG IMG_0494.JPG

WC145, Dannerr, biggeorge and 8 others like this.
  16. I always thought a piece of canvas sewn to your liking in pleats or diamonds stretched from side to side as close to but not touching the back would be a room saver. Heck you could even pad the top 6 inches if you wanted by sewing a loop in the canvas, anyways i thought it would kinda be like a hammock but the back only.

tfeverfred and loudbang like this.
  17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The last time I had the Zipper interior redone, the seat back was fitted with a lumbar support. The seat bottom base had cut outs with 3" canvas strips and all of a sudden the car was comfortable to drive. Aluminum panels are screwed to the doors with sound deadener inside. DSC02855.JPG

WC145, Dannerr, kiwijeff and 6 others like this.
  18. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Interior on my old T![​IMG]

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Blue, the more I look at your set up, the more it pleases me. I got the measurements of where my seats would mount and a couple 22" wide buckets would be a good fit. Like your set up, they'd be close enough together, that they'd be as space effective as a bench.

If I go with buckets, the passenger side would be removable, to access the battery, which I plan to mount underneath. I'm still gathering info, but whether it's a bench or buckets, my plan is to have them as close to the floor as possible.

Blue One and loudbang like this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My other '27 steel roadster was on '32 rails, everything built 'low' in the frame. I sat below the floorboard height, straps under the seating. Legs slightly 'up', but not bent much. Relaxing on a long run...

loudbang likes this.
  21. belair

belair

If you go with buckets Fred, make the passenger on tilt forward to get to the battery. Use a latch so you won't need any tools.

loudbang and tfeverfred like this.
  22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea, that was also a thought with buckets.

loudbang likes this.
  23. skipstitch

skipstitch

000_5832.jpg
    One I did several years ago. Both bottoms lifted out. The driver side housed the fuse panel.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Very nice!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  26. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

27. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

WC145, DaPeach, tfeverfred and 4 others like this.
  28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I like it. I have a tendency to gravitate towards a spartan interior in a Hot Rod. No frills... function.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Tried to keep weight down so the Olds wasn't overworked.:D

tfeverfred and loudbang like this.