Register now to get rid of these ads!

Poor guy Looking For the Cheapest Flat Back Paint , Solution

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theduuude, Aug 13, 2017.

1. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

So very Limited Funds .... 30 Year Project Kept in My Front Yard .... in Flooring Co.s Back lot's, Friends Back Yards carried it on my back through Divorce & The Great Recession .... An Old Hot Rod Friend told me about a Tractor supply that had Flat Black Cheap .... but they no longer make it called all the auto paint place's in the old days prepped 3 cars for paint ...but that's when thing's were Cheap ...I live in Wash. State so Verrrry little time b4 the rains .... I No There's A Lot of you Guys out there Who have been around .... & No How to do thing's Cheap ..... HELP !!! I Literally Saved this Car from the Jaw's of Death Please .... Help ..... Maybe 1 of your Friends No's a Solution ??? Thank's Guy's The Duuude

3340 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Slopok

Slopok

John Deere Blitz Black, about $30.00 gallon.

Woogeroo, 3340, snowroutes and 4 others like this.
  3. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+2 on the John Deere black good paint at a good price.

snowroutes likes this.
  4. #3 on the Blitz Black from John Deere

snowroutes likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics of your project

6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Let's see pics of the car!

7. Budget36

Budget36

Tractor Supply in my area carries a black matte paint, been on my daughters car for over a year now, still holding up...I know some paints are regional, but take a look anyways...32/gl

8. 24riverview

24riverview

Keep in mind this was 25 years ago but at the time I needed to do a quicky flat black job on my Dad's car. My paint supplier suggested GM hood stripe paint (think 70 Chevelle SS396 maybe). Was cheaper at that time than anything else he had and good paint that held up well.

9. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

visit your local caterpillar store ,not flat semi gloss ,ask for hood paint 38.00 a gallon

Spoggie likes this.
  10. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

And then post a pic of "theduuude" too... :D

20.jpg

chryslerfan55 and clunker like this.
  11. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

OK DUDE----I'm with the rest of these guys----Show us a picture!!! And for the other part, I'm all over the John Deere Blitz Black---It's been around for ever, it's looks very good, it's inexpensive AND it's not to hard to apply. Just do it----And send us a picture!!!

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  13. Budget36

Budget36

14. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

SEM makes John Deer black

15. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Cheapest and best we have used is good Ol John Deere Blitz Black. Very durable, and can be touched up with a brush and blends very nicely. Excellent coverage, can do more than 1 vehicle with a Gallon system. I figure if it can handle getting hot and cold for many hours on end in a tractor engine bay it will do just fine on a hot rod.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

theduuude likes this.
  16. We sell ACE Rust Stop in flat, satin and gloss for around $26.00 a gallon. Farmers out here paint everything with it, tractors, trailers, sheds, etc. etc. Thin it with acetone or thinner. All Ace stores nationwide should handle it. Remember that when you go for the cheapest you don't get the best, but I think this will do what you want. I used satin on my Roadster before I decided on a final color. 008050.jpg 008070.jpg

17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I would invest in some kind of shelter. Some posts, plywood, lumber and roll roofing...you can make a small lean too shed fairly inexpensively.....local codes could be a problem.....
    Those carport shelters that tractor supply sells work well and most are considered portable so no code problems....
    A tarp.....might well set a match too it.

I really have mixed emotions about this.....If you have a compressor....or have access to one and all the stuff.....sanders, paper, spray guns....maybe you need to upgrade the paint a little.....good epoxy primer and better quality paint. That;s a lot work and investment for lower quality paint.

If you want cheap but OK protection......wire brush....Rusty Metal Rustoleum Primer...followed by a top coat.....you can do this with a brush and honestly it want be that much different than a spray and pray.

The best thing you can do is have it under some kind of shelter.

Spoggie likes this.
  18. This is what I would do.^^^^

Your next option is epoxy primer ( catalyzed) and have it tinted black for about 50 bucks a gallon.

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man. That was tough to read.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We built a tent inside the shop with pvc pipe and visqueen to paint in to keep the over spray down when I was teaching. One of those old 10/12x20 carport frames with visqueen over it might look more like a makeshift greenhouse than something to work on a car in from a distance if you live in a hood where they fuss. The frames go up and come down real easy and sometimes you can get them for free from folks who have had the covers go bad.
    You might have to drive to Sumner or Oly to Washington tractor to find John Deere paint but there may be a John Deere industrial tractor shop in Tacoma. Those would be yellow John Deere tractors usually with backhoes rather than green ones.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. slowmotion

slowmotion

There's a JD dealer close here. Lot of the demo derby, street stock, roundy's, etc, use their paint. Cheap & good. IF you're after a shine, step up to some decent reducer & hardener from Napa, etc. Many rave about their primer being great for the $$ too.

22. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

Thanks 4 All the Help too cooooland here's some pix .... Thanks so much ....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my VS425 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. slowmotion

slowmotion

Damn, that thing's more than worthy, cool ride!

24. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

"Your next option is epoxy primer ( catalyzed) and have it tinted black for about 50 bucks a gallon." - Pork n'Bean

I'd probably go the epoxy primer way also and a HF throwaway gun.

25. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

Slo Mo ,, Thanks So Much .... Was gonna go to Good Guys last year starter went out... got lights done, brakes done just b4 the Rains... This year starter fixed my Wife & I & boards on top cruised the Back lot ...thought would get some Thumb's Up's ..... Barely .... Noticed .... I no it's not pretty .... I no there's Rust .... I no there's holes in the Floor But I've been in Love with this Car since I Bought My First one From the Mexican auto detailer right Next to Merle's Drive in in Visalia, Cal. Better ,, Than Mel's in American Grafitti look it up online. I Lived 2 Blocks from there & the Car Was Next Door & Me & My Buddy Robbie Left for New Orlin's in the Spring of 69 Where I got Busted Facin' 5 to 15 in Angola Penn Where we Were told in Jefferson Parrish Prison ..... Where the Guards carry Bullwhips & Shotguns & if A Trustee shoots an Escapee he gets 10 years knocked off their sentence ..... Well I Seem to have Strayed a bit from my point ..... But There weren't just Shinney Car Guys There ... There were Rat Rodder's ???? But Still No Respect ?? Because even in it's Worst State MY EYES Would have been ALL OVER THIS ..... So it's Nice to hear some interest Thank's Again P.S. I've Had 3 ,,this is the Worst ....... & Don't No the Stains Reference .... ?? Please Explain The Duuude

26. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I believe Epoxy primer wouldn't have the UV resistance that paint does

27. 5window

5window

I know you are on a budget, but given all the effort you'd make to get a car ready for black paint, you might want to consider getting a decent product.

28. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

I Only think I'll go with the John Deere Cause So many guy's for so many years ...gotta say somethin bout Bang for your Buck .... Your Car look's Great ..... I'm Scared to Death what mines gonna look like I've done so many little backyard projects .... where you sand & sand & say that's good enough .... then you rattle can it ...... & You say AAAA That looks like !!#$%.... went by the voc tech today & got a few pointers some I can use some I Can't ..... I'm hopin cause it's flat black it will hide a Muletitude of sins ... What I Need is 1/4" Paint ....or Pitch ..... Does anybody no a good conn. for Pitch God Help us All & If Not You At Least Me ...... ADIOS .... The Duuude

cruzin4ever likes this.
  29. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

The best part of a flat black is it hides a lot of problems. Small dings, scratches, and rust through. It will make poor body work look decent. It's a good starter paint. And the blitz Black can easily be painted over.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

My Dad { USMC Chosin Few , Iwo Always Said You can learn a lot more listenin' than ya can by talkin' So appreciate Your Concern & Help But There's a post above ..... that say's I gotta go with the Old School answer JD Blitz Black .............Do They Have it in 1/4 " ??????