Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What 3 spd. transmission is it? Ford passenger of F1 truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark T, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Mark T

Mark T

Is it from a Car or Truck? A local guy has it for sale and I'd like to know what its worth before I make an offer.

00K0K_bUEMvlH9HIQ_600x450.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the removable belhousing, it's probably post-48 which would make it a truck transmission. Trucks had cast bellhousings while Merc's had pressed steel. If it's a pressed steel bellhousing, all bets are off because parts have been mixed and matched (Merc transmissions of that era had long tail shafts). The funky bend in the shift lever, closed drive setup, and overall size tell me it's a three speed out of a pickup truck. They are real similar to the earlier car transmissions, and the fact that it is of a later vintage and has the closed drive would make it more valuable to me than an old car transmission in like condition. The bellhousing has some value as well. Make sure you get the starter plate matching the bellhousing if you can.

3. Boy, I don't know tubman but that looks like an Open drive shaft model to me and that totally would make it a Truck unit.
    Mark, depends on what your going to put it in but that could make it a very good deal. I wouldn't offer him more that $50.oo for it unless you can look inside and know what your looking at. Reason being the top is probably worth $100.oo even if everything inside is junk.
    The Wizzard

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brain Fart. I was thinking "open drive", but my fingers typed "closed drive"; sorry.

5. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Chuckle chuckle, I know how that works! ^^^^^^

6. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

I have a 51 F1 trans looks identical except the shifter does not have that dog leg bend in it

7. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, sure looks like an F-1 pickup trans to me. If you can look inside and make sure the forks are good, the top and forks alone are worth more than a $100. If all the gears are good there's another $100. So $200 sounds fair doesn't it? Any cheaper and itsa steal.

I've never seen a lever bent like that one. I think that is a later modification.

8. Mark T

Mark T

Thanks for all the replies

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. deucemac

deucemac

That's a pickup top shifter trans with a cast iron bellhousing which only trucks used. The bellhousing is made to house an 11in. Clutch but it will still accommodate the smaller 10 and 9. However it is worthless without the matching starter plate!

10. Mark T

Mark T

I'll have to see if he has the matching starter plate...Thanks...

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Whole setup is '48-52 F1 style. Trans is most likely the same origin, but look at the serial stamping above the tin window...if blank that fits F1, if there's a serial # trans could be '42-47 pickup or any Ford passenger topshift case... the picture makes the trans bell look conical, raising suspicion the case only might be early...or I am misinterpreting because pic is fuzzy there. Damned hard to photograph ancient iron covered with ancient grease!

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That transmission is likely a heavy duty 3 speed out of a First Generation F Series cab-over or delivery van.
    The heavy duty 3 speed has similar one piece case like the light duty or standard 3 speed. Open drive...post 1941. Truck bell.....post 1947. On F1s the light duty floor shift 3 speed was phased out in late 1950 for a column shift. Big truck may have used the floor shift to 52.
    So..... top shift 3 speed likely Heavy Duty...Cab over or delivery van......1948-52 with 48-50 being most likely.
    with that said the HD 3 speed is very desirable for those wanting the "1939 Style" Ford transmission..