Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Clutch Chatter, Please Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjd420, Aug 12, 2017.

1. tjd420

tjd420

Hello all,
    I just put a whole new drive train in my 50 ford coupe. It's a sbf with a 5 speed. I went with a hydraulic t o bearing this time, with a centerforce dual friction clutch. I'm still very much in the break in period (maybe 20 miles or so). On the way to the local car show, I noticed the clutch started chattering... Any clue what this may be? I'm kinda nervous because the centerforce clutch had little weights retained by a wire that I removed, because the t o bearing instructions said to do this... Really need to get this fixed before the road trip this weekend.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Chatter when taking off or going down the road? if you took those weights off ,you wasted good money buying the Centerforce Clutch .Those weights are why the clutch hold so well under under "pressure".Didjya resurface the flywheel?I'd also call Centerforce to see what they say .The one thing they will tell you is that any warranty you had is now void.

3. tjd420

tjd420

Chatter when the pedal is released. I removed the weights because the t o bearing instructions said they would interfer. The flywheel is new.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Soft or broken motor mounts will cause that also.

5. What motor mounts did ya use for the conversion. Post up a photo of the mounts if you can. Also, are you running lowering blocks?
    The Wizzard

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Check the front hangers for the leaf springs. The passenger side hanger on my 50 coupe was wallowed out causing chatter when the clutch was released. This design will wallow if the bushing is not in good condition. If it is wallowed it will have to be repaired or replaced to restore the correct size for the rear spring bushing bolt.

7. 36fordguy

36fordguy

A mis match in clutch disk size and fly wheel surface can cause the chatter

8. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

How about surface prep on the flywheel and pressure plate friction surface? Did you wipe either down with a non-petroleum base solvent and a lint free rag to remove storage anti- rust coatings? Another thought on the new flywheel is that even new brake drums and rotors will some times have runout or inconsistencies in thickness .I know you don't want to take this apart again. But what happens when you put a dial indicator on the bare,installed flywheel while rotating the engine by hand?

9. Talk to Centerforce. I use regular single-disc Zoom clutches and have the PP balanced with the flywheel. Wards off many evil spirits.

tjd420 likes this.
  10. tjd420

tjd420

Thanks for all the good info. I think I have it narrowed down to adjusting the t o bearing.... Just when it seems right, I test drive it and it happens again. I'm starting to think something may be warped

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

More than once I've trued up the flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate by pulling up against a good solid tree or wall and slipping the clutch a little.

firstinsteele likes this.