Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Custom painters, what brand clear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0NE BAD 51 MERC, Aug 11, 2017.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Hi guys. what clears are you now using and what brand compounds are you having the best results with. Now that I am semi retired from the custom body business, I don't have access to the commercial suppliers that I use to have . The only source for paint here is the local Napa. Their Acme line is okay for a driver but not what I want for my Merc. Other wise the closest body shop supply place is 45 miles away. Before I go on line I would like your opinon's of what works best for you. and do you have a faveorite buffing compound or compounds. I mostly have used 3m. But they seem to change it a lot now and I do not get the results I use to. I usually start with 1200 and work up to 3000. Just looking for feed back. Larry

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I have had good luck using Southern Polyurethanes universal clear.They have an online forum also.BARRY the owner can be reached anytime for Tech assistance.Good Luck.

jbon64 and da34guy like this.
  3. I like the DC4000 clear by Ppg.
    3m perfect-it compounds ex-1 , 2, 3 with corresponding foam pads.
    If the Ex just won't cut I'll use meguiers heavy cut first then on to the 3m stuff.

This particular job was done as a flow-coat.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Martin- Senour clear is available from NAPA and works well. Holds up in Florida sun.

5. fastlayne

fastlayne

20160411_184842.jpg I've been using the ppg dcu 2021 or 2042 clears with dcx61 hardener and deltron reducers for years on all my high end builds. Just had one bronco featured in a magazine that I shot with dcu 2021. Buffs great too. Never had any combacks, fade or peel. I buff with 3m perfectit. I wetsand everything. To buff, Start with 1500, then 2000, then use 3m 3000 trizac pad on a d/a wet. Buff with black wool pad and #1 perfectit 3m purple bottle compound. Then move to your various foam pads with purple bottle/blue cap 3m machine polish and then to swirl remover/ hand wax. Fail proof for me so far.here's a pic of that Bronco. Took 2nd place at the bronco nat in Tennessee.

6. fastlayne

fastlayne

Another

Attached Files:

7. fastlayne

fastlayne

Depth

Attached Files:

8. Paint_Rep

Paint_Rep

PPG DCU2021 or PPG D8152. Both are thick, ultra high gloss, easy to spray easy to buff, and very forgiving in any environment!! Use Slow Reducer and go to town!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

milwscruffy and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

fastlayne.
    I also used ppg 2021 for years and it works great. My buff process is the same as yours with the 3m mat. A few other threads have mentioned using a coarse compound first , but to me it seem to defeat the effort of going to 3000. My problem now is getting the ppg. Since I closed my big shop in town because my source down in Madison does not deliver out to my "back woods home shop" So I have to either drive 90 miles round trip or order on line from someone. thanks for the replies. Larry

10. SPI, stopped using PPG 10 years ago. Check out there website. They ship @ N/C to anywhere.
    Best clear I've used in the 40+ years of pullin the trigger

mikhett and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  11. JimSibley

JimSibley

The acme710 and 720 clear is actually a good product. It buffs easy, lays nice and holds up very well. I know of a few gnrs contenders that were shot in it. Another good thing is it's ability to take a blend for repairs.

12. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

If you do mail order eastwood has a cheap nice clear or medallion clear is also mail order it is also cheap and looks nice if you want to spend the big bucks standox clear is real nice or Nason clear is cheaper but also nice it is a dupont product. As for compound 3m med cut white wool pad and foam pad polish micro fine with a black foam pad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

anything form the House of Kolor catalogue to recommend?

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I prefer House of Kolor, UC-1. If there's no graphics under it, the UFC is also good (it reflows what's under it, so if there are graphics, it will 'weep' some of the color downwards, as it dries)
    As for polishing, I've hated most available compounds available now, They seem to polish well, but when you wash or hand glaze over the paint, they seem to dull down. I've heard they put gloss enhancers in the compounds that wash off after a while. I've switched to Sonax compound and polish, and love them. 800 cut ( if there's significant peel) then 1000, 1500, then 3M's Tri-Zac 3000 grit on a DA, and then compound and polish.

15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

chopolds. My experience with current compound systems is the same as yours. Spend a week color sanding and buffing to a mirror finish only to have it "haze out" after awhile. Never heard of sonax products . Checked out their web site. Reasonably priced. Which compounds do you use? Larry

16. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

S.P.I. and PRESTA.
    VR&C.

da34guy likes this.
  17. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

If you want SPI, the Napa in Lake Hallie (Eau Claire) WI sells it. Sent to my home in Sparta next day, free delivery. Scott is very helpful and very knowledgeable with all SPI products....

18. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

The designs on the fenders and top are reflections of the overhead lights.

19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Wow, their website is a mass of confusion! I didn't even see what I use. I use CutMax for compound, and Perfect Finish for polishing. Got them on either Amazon, or AutoGeek.

20. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Unshine 2 I actually work for the Napa in Portage on Sundays part time, the owner is a buddy of mine, so I will get the contact info for your source and give them a call . They can transfer it down through the distribution centers. If I like it I may convince Lon to stock also. Larry

Max Gearhead and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I use DuPont now Axlta products nothing better in my estimation