Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roamic

roamic
    from VT

Same building today via Google Maps. packard.jpg

2. roamic

roamic
    from VT

Looks like Riverside, looks like turn 7. That's where my father liked to park. He had a 58 Corvette. My last name is Immler. License plate is MLR. That's the way you used to get personalized plates. Wonder if that's his car?

RMR&C, tommyd, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  3. Que Twilight Zone music!
    I just recieved a middle of the night phone call from Steffan Jobst from Germany all apologetic and apparently thinking I have something to do with his being banned here.
    Yes guys, he got my number on the web and called me unsolicited at 1:30 am from Germany.. He seemed to think I was "angry" over some comment he made about the Garlits Dart pics I posted.I don't even SEE any comments. Kind of CREEPY calling a total stranger halfway across the planet to ramble on about the HAMB don't you think?
    WTF?, No, DOUBLE WTF?
    For the record HAMB pic posters, I have NO IDEA WHY, WHEN or WHATEVER got him banned, frankly had no idea WTF he's calling me for. Still don't. Not much to say to him!
    So, I have no juice, power or say about banning anyone or ANY HAMB business! Or "reinstating" anybody!
    I just want to post , if people like my posts great, if they don't ..I DON'T CARE!
    Call me mystified, Don't know a F'n thing about it! Nor do I really care, he had SEVERAL warnings, he was just one of the guys that wanted the HAMB HIS own way.
    POSTED JUST TO KEEP THE RECORD STRAIGHT!
    Jeeeeeez, WTF NEXT? Leave me out of the drama!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    wutnxt and 31Dodger like this.
  4. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

5. KarnUtz

KarnUtz
    from Motown

Steffan was banned? Crikey - that dude loved cars.

Andy, chryslerfan55, Samj and 4 others like this.
  6. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I got that same email that Ghostcruiser got - wonder how many of us did?
    I'm careful with emails from folks I don't know, and it had an attachment I did not open.

loudbang and biggeorge like this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-8-12_4-0-36.png upload_2017-8-12_4-0-54.png Pierpoint Landing was a sportfishing, eating and entertainment complex located at the end of Pier A in Long Beach, California, and what is now Pier F. In operation from 1948 to 1972, it was at one time the largest sportfishing operation in the world, attracting two million anglers annually.

Hello,

My dad’s favorite place was Pierpoint Landing in Long Beach. It might be that we lived about 10 minutes away on the Westside of Long Beach, but it was his love of all types of fishing. He was not a jetty fishing person, although, in San Pedro, when he was little, he did a ton of breakwater fishing at the old Brighton Beach jetties on Terminal Island, nearby.

His love was deep sea fishing with small and really big rigs for all sizes of fish. He told me of catching large Albacore on a tiny trout pole and reel. He also told me of a large Swordfish with his super, thumb-size, thickness pole and huge reel that took both hands to crank for us little guys.

In 1960, he graciously gave up ½ of the Rumpus Room so we could build our 40 Willys. But, up until then, all of his fishing gear took up ½ of that rear yard building. Pole racks, cabinets full of reels of all kinds, and a workbench to rewind/rebuild poles and flies for trout.

So, did he go to Pierpoint Landing? If he did not like our family so much, he probably would have lived at Pierpoint Landing. Every week, (on his day off) he went out on a deep sea fishing trip. Our involvement was to go to the east end of Catalina on one trip for White Sea Bass and Albacore. 6 foot swells, a huge current, and a large fishing boat that went up and down did not make a 5th grader feel too good on that trip. But, the fishing was the best.

On another trip out of Pierpoint Landing at 2 am, we went around the island to the other side to catch some tuna. That trip was much better, as we caught a ton of fish. The sight of Pierpoint Landing when returning to Long Beach was a wonderful ending to any fishing trip. It is too bad that this place is gone.

Jnaki

When our family wanted to go for an outing or drive, Pierpoint Landing was the spot. It was located at the mouth of the LA River near where the Queen Mary is currently located. The little stores kept my mom interested, the fishing tackle shops kept our dad drooling over the new stuff.

My brother and I loved the snack bars and hot dog stands. When we were finished with the hot dogs, climbing all over the big jetty rocks, chasing the big crabs was the next activity. As simple as a place can be with one
    thing
    as an attraction, fishing, this place was a destination for a lot of families in the So Cal area.

In our hot rod cruising days, late at night, this was a nice ocean view parking area with a great view of Long Beach and points South… dark, secluded, and eerie...
    upload_2017-8-12_4-3-7.png upload_2017-8-12_4-3-19.png
    upload_2017-8-12_4-7-39.png

upload_2017-8-12_4-7-19.png
    The old, circular, Rainbow Pier and the LB Municipal Auditorium (currently the Sports Arena) are in the background.

8. swi66

swi66

9. roamic

roamic
    from VT

10. loudbang

loudbang

Still more from Arizona

Hurbert Platt Paul Harvey Ford

hubert platt Paul harvey ford awb.JPG

JR Thompson Austin

JR Thompson austin.JPG

Lil Screamer

Lil Screamer and alt.JPG

Little Hoss

Little Hoss and ang.JPG

again

Little Hoss and ang1.JPG

Little Red Wagon

Little red wagon.JPG

again

Little red wagon1.JPG

11. loudbang

loudbang

Norb Locke .....This dragster was mine raced it from 1961 1965 then the car crashed at Rockford Dragway in IL. I was fine but the car was finished

Norm locke dual engine flathead dragster c.JPG
    Norm locke dual engine flathead dragster coming off the starting line at Oswego, IL in 1964. The dragster was turning in the middle to low 9's at 165 mph in 1964, using 1953 Ford flathead motors running on alky

Norb Locke This dragsatewr.JPG

again

norm locke.JPG

again

norm locke1.JPG

Nocentino & Kulp

Nocentino & Kulp.JPG

12. loudbang

loudbang

San Diego

San Diego.JPG

again

San Diego1.JPG

one more

San Diego2.JPG

Saugus Drag Strip opened 1951 closed 1957

Saugus Drag strip opened 51 c;losed 57.JPG
    two T birds vs 56 chevy
    t birds.JPG

Trojan Horse, RMR&C, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  13. Sorry to hear this about Steffen. I agree with the others on reinstating him. I didn't like all his posts but I don't like some posts from others also, but that don't mean they should be banned.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

15. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

While I enjoyed some of Steffen's posts, he was chewing up a lot of bandwidth. If we all posted as
    many things as he did, we couldn't get through a day's postings. I sometimes tired of scrolling past
    all the photos of Landaus(sp?) that are irrelevant to hot rodding, and sales brochures.

jerome jeup likes this.
  16. Spyder64

Spyder64

Each year in may, we, the Dutch, in The Netherlands, celebrate because the Allies, in fact mostly American soldiers, freed us from the German Nazis in 1945.
    In coming years, in august I will mourn because The Hamb-police stole Steffen from this forum

17. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

That attachment is the photo that he thinks might have gotten him banned...the one of the Keystone Kops making a joke about "getting" the person who posted a foreign-make car in this thread. I actually thought it was kind of funny, myself.

Rob

Andy, loudbang, Chrisbcritter and 4 others like this.
  18. Steffen was weird, different, even eclectic and when he first logged on the HAMB a lot of people didn't know how to take him. The HAMB is an international site and we have to realize that some "of them foreigners" with their foreign cars may think different than "us" guys. With all Steffens kinks, I like him and would like to see a reinstatement.

Andy, CADILLAC AL, 56shoebox and 9 others like this.
  19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SO,----Whats the BIG deal????????

RMR&C, Samj and JOYFLEA like this.
  20. To some, nothing

Stogy, Samj and JOYFLEA like this.
  21. And now....back to the subject at hand....my father-in-law.... Picture 859.jpg

22. My great uncle and his Essex.... Picture 1191.jpg

23. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

24. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

25. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.