Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cost of replacing floor pans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrDragon, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Sorry if this is something that has been discussed over and over but my searching came up empty. I have a 56 Crown Vic that needs the floor pans replaced. I found replacement pans for about $800 and a local guy has quoted me $1,500 to replace. No interior or fuel lines, brake lines, engine or tranny to deal with. Does this seem reasonable?

5.0clay likes this.
  2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Too many variables to accurately say. That said, it doesn't sound too high.

1951 henry j and DrDragon like this.
  3. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

What is his labor rate? I would think about 16 hours if inner rockers, floor braces and everything else was OK.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

DrDragon and lawman like this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Based on my experience in south FL that's a fair price.

DrDragon likes this.

5. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

1500 is fair if his does it real nice . I weld mine 100%

subneil56 and DrDragon like this.
  6. 46international likes this.
  7. oj

oj

Sounds very cheap to me. After media blasting, we would cut out all the existing rusted metal, butt weld the new steel in place then metal finish the welds to a point where it'd take an experienced eye to see the welds. The car would have to be on a rotisserie and off the frame.
    Sounds to me they quoted you to cut out some of the floor, lay the new metal over the existing and then tackweld or chemical weld the pans in place filling in with seam sealer.
    From your description I gather the tunnel will stay and maybe the rear seat riser? Sound about right? That is a lot of tig welding, a lot of very precise fitting and a lot of metal finishing each side, from rear seat riser to the toe board of the firewall.
    Next time you talk to them find out the exact method they'll use so you'll know what you're getting. Like my old buddy says, 'there's a lot of ways to get to town and all of them are right', you just need to know what is right for you.

Just Gary, 117harv and DrDragon like this.
  8. Thanks for all of the info. I will ask. he's done work for others and they say he does great work. I had no idea there was that much work involved.

9. squirrel

squirrel

That quote sounds like he knows what's involved....

David Gersic and DrDragon like this.
  10. I'm sorry if my reply sounds harsh but why in the world would you spend that much money ($2,300) replacing floor pans?

I guess I'm from the old school but in my way of thinking why not spend that money on a good mig welder and do it yourself,if you don't have the skill to use a welder take a night course at your local trade school.

If your building a concourse car I could understand trying for perfection but if your building a hot rod or a custom the panels will be under carpet so some sheet metal and a 100 dollar bead roller from harbor freight and your well on your way.

Building a car you need to learn the basic skills or you need to have deep pockets to purchase expensive replacement parts and paying other people to do the work for you. HRP

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

DSC00432.JPG
    oj said it best. Ask how exactly it will be done on the top and on the bottom (lap weld or butt weld?) and will the price go up if other problems are encountered, like bad floor braces or rusted out A pillars. Repair costs can easily increase once the can of worms is opened. This is an example of a lap weld top and bottom with the weld ground down top and bottom.. Edge butt welding looks nicer and requires more precision. You don't want floor pans just tacked welded in and then finished off with Bondo or seam sealer. Before repairs this floor was covered with 1/4 in. of Bondo and looked great from the top.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  12. Not concourse at all. I like your idea thanks!

Doctorterry likes this.
  13. If you decide to go ahead any pay someone to do the job check out the guys at EMS for you floor replacement pieces.HRP

EMS

DrDragon likes this.
  14. I checked welding school. Over $8,000

15. squirrel

squirrel

huh...I took a few welding classes at the community college, years ago, it was dirt cheap. You don't need to become a certified pipeline welder to fix your floor pans. But you do need to know the basics. keep looking!

triman62, lawman, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  16. You need to look around,I would think the 8 grand would be a course to become a certified welder,you just need a basic welding course,heck you have a computer I'm sure there are tutorials to be found there.

My son-in-law took a night course at the local tech school and it was 6 weeks and 200 bucks,after a couple of years he went back and became a certified welder. HRP

triman62 and beebing like this.
  17. Mig welding is the easiest to learn.
    I learned by just grabbing one and practiced.

Doctorterry, triman62, lawman and 4 others like this.
  18. oldolds

oldolds

From what I hear from people around here in PA that price is about right to maybe even on the cheaper side. That is for 4 floor pans, where your feet would go, fully cut out and replaced. With minimal bracing and inner rocker work. Usually lap joints. You want butt welds? Double the price.

19. I would jump all over his figure before he changes his mind.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

20. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I like the idea of a sm gas lincoln mig some practice and you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago,and a bonus ,you will know whats under the carpet.most of the settings for the mig are right on the door. and the instructions are helpful,the 110s are good for sheetmetal and small brackets,220 is better if you have a plug in the garage and want to do bigger stuff in the future.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    rtorrisi likes this.
  21. I bought an Eastwood MIG 135 and jumped in with both feet on the floor pans on my 40 sedan. I was lucky, not too complicated, but I see now I could've easily gotten in over my head. It turned out OK. But not knowing anything about rust repair, I got lucky.

There's no shame in paying someone to do it, this coming from a guy who learned by doing.

RICH B, stillrunners and rjones35 like this.
  22. I bought a few books on welding and used 110 volt Snap On Mig (made by Century) when I first started welding. Paid $200 bucks for the welder, got a couple of spools of wire and pile of steel from the the scrap metal pile at the land fill. I practiced on the scrap steel till I though it was good enough to put the trunk pan in my 64 nova. That snap on welder served me for the next 15 years and I ran miles of wire thru it. Just buy a welder off Craigs list, practice and then do it yourself. You could get the complete welding set up for pretty cheap and you will always have a need for a welder if your building a car. Also if you do it yourself, get an auto darkening mask, it makes learning how to lay a bead so much easier.

Chiss and oj like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

A Hobart 140 mig will do everything you need to do and I have seen them on sale for less than 500 bucks and use Miller replacement parts.
    Have over used mine for over 5 years now.
    Go to Home Depot and buy some sheet metal and read a book and go to town. Or deliver your car to the guy and let him do the work. $1500 is a fair price for floor pans done right.

24. We're neighbors
    Come and see me off Mills road

pigfluxer, Cosmo49, harpo1313 and 3 others like this.
  25. kruzin karl

kruzin karl

Huh, last time I checked, there were no night classes, daytime classes, or any welding classes available unless you were signing up for long term career type schooling. And I did call every place possible, community colleges, trade schools, anything I thought might offer a welding course. IF anyone knows of a course offered in the greater Miami area, I'd love to hear about it.
    I'm probably about the same as 90% of the people on hear, self taught along with whatever I've managed to absorb from the internet, and I know that welding classes would greatly improve my welding (I won't call them skills!) ability.

DrDragon likes this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

wow, I guess we're lucky here in my small town. I even know a couple of the instructors, one of them used to be on the HAMB occasionally.

cochise.jpg

rjones35 likes this.
  27. @squirrel The local JC here has classes, but they are accelerated I guess, 4 nights a week. With a full time job and kids, that's just not possible. I could do two nights though like the schedule you showed.

28. kruzin karl

kruzin karl

Wow, all I can say is, I'm jealous!

DrDragon likes this.
  29. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

All of the state Trade Schools here are full time 2 year curriculum to farm the Fed Pell Grant system. The school I went to 30 years ago for $90 a 9 week semester. Is now $1100 for a 9 week semester or $4400 + consumable fees a year. $8800 + for a 2 year diploma. The Welding class is an extra $250 a semester. So the only people going to trade school here is people that "Qualify" for government assistance programs. The first 2 semesters are mandatory OSHA and safety training. Before you can get hands on because of liability lawsuits.

30. Awesome. Let me know where and when.