Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2017 Banger Meet - The Dog Days and Bangers***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 31, 2017.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I'm into the Schofield/Miller head I just got. It had interference where the rockers were hitting the spring retainers. Offset keepers will address that. The rocker ratio is approximately 1.25. Stock B cam so it has a intake lift of .334" and an exhaust lift of .341"
    The springs have 32# seat pressure. I don't have a clue what the seat pressure should be, I never went there with the last head I did, don't know why, but I didn't. 32# seems a little light, unless it is a box of chocolates.
    I'm thinking, just run it the way it is but while the head is off the engine it would be easier to address now.
    Anyone have any insight or are in the run it and let us know camp?
    Not going to beat this engine too hard RPM wise as it is going to still be a babbitt bearing for now.
    Larry

Dannerr and waxhead like this.
  2. whale....funny she didn't fight me yesterday....actually started right up with a little start fluid shot or two after a rest of a few months....it was move time....doors flying open.....hood flapping....well guess you had to be there.... IMG_20170809_190639.jpg IMG_20170809_191111.jpg

Attached Files:

cactus1, Dannerr and waxhead like this.
  3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

So I just bought this engine after having been given these details. Seems as though it has a B dizzy.

Has noisy gudgens
    New rings in worn bores
    Real good bearings and crank
    Valves and guides ok
    Doesn't blow any smoke
    Has been run it with hose for 10 min with 1lt of fuel?

Now to match it up with the cling adapter I have and the offy flathead to Packard adapter and 37 Packard trans
    Got the open tailshaft rear too. All into an A frame

4. Is what you have a repop Miller-Schofield Hi-Speed Head by Steve Serr? If so, you have some work to do to fit it and make it work properly with YOUR engine. If you aren't schooled in such things, you'll need to go to someone who is. Yes...It sounds that 32 lbs. (open or closed is too little!

5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, it is an original one that has been abused to a point. It's from the '30's. I'm getting 45 to 60 lb spring pressure feedback

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

This is from Jim Brierley's cam spec sheet.

VALVE SPRINGS

Stock installed spring length is approx. 2½ inches. Spring pressure at that length is approximately 32 lbs. Following is a chart giving spring pressures at different lengths. (Model A springs). A Metal cam gear is recommended on all performance grinds and is a good idea even with a stock cam. An aluminum gear works well and are not noisy as some claim.

LENGTH PRESSURE

2 3/8" 40 # (Recommended for stock B or C cam)

2 1/4" 52 #

2 1/8" 62 #

2" 73 #

1 7/8" 83 #

Note: A spacer made from 3/4" water pipe

works nicely and will stay in place if

cut off squarely, such as done in a lathe.

Coil bind occurs at approx. 1 1/2" (with A springs) 60 lbs. pressure, on the seat, is recommended for most "street" cams/engines. 90 lbs. is recommended for racing, a different type of spring is needed for racing engines in order to achieve this pressure.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Old Dawg likes this.
  7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is Jim's list. There is a lot of good info in it.

I run a .355 lift cam in a flathead with @ 60 lbs. seat pressure.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Old Dawg likes this.
  8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I'm running 50# seat & 100# open ............ flat head

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you, this is very helpful and what I was looking for. Appreciate it very many.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  10. I'm running a "Banger" with sustained speeds of 4000 to 5000 rpm. I've got a cam designed and ground (out of a blank made by Joe Panek) by Dema Elgin. On a recent "Cleanup" Elgin did on my cam he told me that there was evidence of "Valve Float".. We ended up with dual springs with loads considerably higher than you guys are running (open is over 200 lbs.). But, that's what the calculation came to. Also this IS a racing engine! 2014-04-19 14.59.17.jpg

Jet96, Dannerr, 29bowtie and 6 others like this.
  11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

even looks like a race motor !

12. blgitn

blgitn

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

My friends are saying the salt is a mess very thin and bumpy. They have shifted the course no fun this year.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm sure the salt could be a lot better, but I think they moved the course because Jack Batman (sp) crashed his streamliner at 209 mph and tore things up.

15. Look what I talked Dave into making. I sent him my original of my Burns intake and he copied it, and is reproducing them. Darker one is the original.

IMG_3709.JPG

Dannerr, 1stGrumpy and colinsmithson like this.
  16. Oh, Dave would be Fourspd2quad

17. Liking those!

18. Rocker 77 , are you still interested in the tack rail for the 29 ?

[email protected]

19. joemac05

joemac05

Sorry, but what are they?

20. I want one! How do I go about getting one?

21. Throttle linkage for. A down draft intake, pm dave. He has a classified up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1stGrumpy likes this.
  22. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Joemac they're part of the linkage for the carbs like you see on this Thomas intake. Screenshot_2017-08-14-21-33-19-1.png

23. 97

how good does it run with the gasket hanging out?

24. Old Dawg, that is a sweet looking banger, all business!

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The double springs are a good idea and time you want to rev for extended time @200 open you maybe buying another cam sooner than you need to. Perhaps the ramps are a little Potvinesque o_O Which Winfield master did he choose?..... Not a real question as I know he'll never really tell you. What was the indication of float? Couldn't you hear the engine flutter?

I once had a customer change all the new valve springs from 55seat to 90. I asked we're all the springs the same?"He said yes 'warn out'!!" Why didn't you call me THAT'S THE WAY I SET THAT UP, YOU IDIOT .... WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL ME FIRST? ..... Some people's children

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

just read an article on the salt . loose but smooth & they are going fast ...........

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Perhaps my guys are running rather than complaining now

28. silent rick

silent rick

[​IMG]
    new winfields

Dannerr and blgitn like this.
  29. Maybe it's a tow hook.like they put on Hondas these days...LOL

Retson the Racer likes this.
  30. noboD

noboD

Bluto, I'm sure you know it but the results are being posted on SCTA website.