Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SCAMMED!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mullskull, Aug 9, 2017.

1. mullskull

mullskull

Just want to this out there.. more specifically the guys name or alias-

the long and short of it is i got burned for $250 by someone responding to the wanted ad i have posted here on the HAMB for a pair of 5.60-15 white walls tires..
    the guy goes by the name :

BRIAN DARNELL COLLAR
    4232 DUBHE COURT
    CONCORD , CA 94521

PHONE(disconnected) # 510 516 5440

after 8 or 10 phone calls back and forth i eventually sent him the $ via a moneygram.. he was supposed to get me back with a greyhound tracking # and i never heard back..he totally ghosted me. tried calling him the next day and the phone # was disconnected-

i even checked with greyhound and they have nothing.. the fellow at greyhound even called up to the branch in Oakland (where the guys lives). the guy he spoke to was working on Sunday, and he said no one shipped tires.

i spoke with moneygram and gave them the heads up..they were able to tell me that the moneygram was picked up in El Cerrito-

looking back there were a few red flags that i chalked up to the fact that some of us car guys are a little quirky..anyway, hindsight is 20/20.. and as always i've learned my lesson the hard way-

honestly this is the first time anything like this has happened to me... not bad considering how long & i buy stuff..

For the most part i've found this community to be quite amazing... none the less keep an eye out for the rotten apples, as i'd hate to see anyone else get burned-

Rich-

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  2. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Moneygram was your first clue

kiwijeff, Steve Ray, swade41 and 7 others like this.
  3. mullskull

mullskull

yes, that was one of the red flags-

big creep likes this.
  4. Did he send you pics of the tires?

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Out of curiosity, how many posts did he have on the HAMB? Going by the frequency of recent scams that have been documented, it might be time for the powers to be to set a minimum post limit before new members can respond to wanted ads or have them meet a minimum identification threshold when registering? That would hopefully discourage them and the SPAMMERs who'd move onto softer targets to bombard with their garbage testosterone boosters etc etc. On the flipside I note some members only post in the for sale section without making a contribution to any posts despite being members for some time. Many are not prolific HAMBERs.

kiwijeff, 48reo, JeffB2 and 5 others like this.
  6. mullskull

mullskull

yet, another red flag-

"They're tires, who needs pictures of brand new tires...... DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just want to be clear here... i'm WELL aware i made a total asinine move ... and i'm certainly not looking for any sympathy here.. figured i would put the info up incase it rings the name any bells.

slack, Dino 64, deadbeat and 5 others like this.
  7. mullskull

mullskull

i put my phone # in the ad... reason being is i don't always get the emails through the system..
    honestly the whole thing happened rather quickly.. & i made PLENTY of mistakes that i shouldn't have made.. but apparently i hypnotized by a sweet deal-
    if i had sat on this decision for even a few hours i would have seen it's absurdity.

like i mentioned, hindsight is 20/20

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am stand up here, never send money unless they are a true hamber..posting , not just to sell..ok 250.00 sucks.....it's a lesson.....it will all work out for you in the long run....

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The address was likely a fake, as the listed town is in another county, which has the area code 925.

My sources say that this number has been used for other scams.

The telephone number was provided by Bandwidth.com

This is their law enforcement records request page:
    https://www.bandwidth.com/law-enforcement-guide/

I cannot get the location locked down tighter than the City of Oakland, CA. It is was a landline, so their should be a fixed address associated with it.

The central office exchange connection is NPA-510, NXX-516.

I will see if I cannot narrow this down to a fixed area.

Call the Oakland Police non-emergency number. File a report. (510)777-3333

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The name has to be an alias. The entire county shows no name match.

No criminal fails to get caught, at least once. Under this name, this guy does not exist.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. mullskull

mullskull

Thanks for looking into tis man, i really appreciate it! i'll file that complaint tomorrow-

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cannot get past the regional switch. This may be a VoIP (voice over internet protocol, or internet phone) line. That may complicate things. If I dig any further, I am likely to get caught, so I won't.

stillrunners likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scratch that. This might be a Verizon cell phone.

stillrunners likes this.
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sorry to read about your money loss to a scammer. Hope it works out for the best for you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hudson31 likes this.
  15. This dude called me today Here is the number that came up on my caller ID 510-320-6644

He claims that he had some front fenders for sale. Then he claims that he got scammed by a local car guy in my state. I think he was using that line as a way to believe him and fall for his shit.
    Now I am going to call him back and narrow his ass down then send my cousin bubba over to meet him. Not going to be good.

Also had a clam call me today from Wisconsin selling fenders he goes by Norris D Tamera.
    I told this guy that I have a friend who lives near by and will be by in the next day to pay and pick up.
    My friend in Wisconsin is a guy that you do not want to fuck with . Will see how this pans out.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a Cingular Wireless number. I will see if I can get any info.

Edit: it appears to be a burner phone.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    55hdyman likes this.
  17. I put my 56 Chrysler on a car site and at the end of the ad. I put I CANT NOT RECIVE TEXTS. on my phone. Right away I get 3 texts lastest one last night a 10 p.m. here. When I say I cant recive texts and leave my phone # and I get a tex .I know its a scammer.I got a good one from Craigs List yesterday. Guy said he would pay my price for my Chrysler but was in the army and was going on a top secret mission.REALLY? Then why tell me that? I showed it to my wife and she just started laughing. She said even I know that's a scammer. LOL. You have to be careful now a days .Thanks Bruce.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    kiwijeff, Hudson31, SicSpeed and 2 others like this.
  18. I've sold lots of stuff on CL. Anything you get a bite on 10 minutes after posting the ad is likely to be a scam. I can sift out the flakes right away.

Scooterville and Bruce Fischer like this.
  19. 5window

5window

I don't want anything from Texas either. :) I think you meant "texts"? I don't quite get your reasoning, as a scammer will contact you any way they can. Usually, falling for a scammer results from one's desire overcoming practical sense in an electronic world. Best of luck-trust your wife.

flamingokid and Bruce Fischer like this.
  20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Did you see these two scammer posts? Probably the same Norcal scammer that got these HAMBer's. IIRC, in one of these threads, someone mentioned they also got burned by the guy, so that's at least 4 HAMBer's that have fed this guy.

Always go with your gut. Non HAMBer's (or newly joined HAMB members) answering a want ad are a pretty sure bet you're getting set up for a rip off. Then the money gram or Walmart transfer of funds...

Scammers make a living doing this for one reason; people fall for their traps. It's what keeps them from having to get off their couch and work a real job like the rest of us.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/watch-out-scam-artist-joseph-a-cates.1069247/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...t-be-joseph-cates-also.1069941/#post-12144564

21. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Check out 419eater.com. It is a site dedicated to taking these scammers and wasting as much of their time as possible. They even do "safaris" with the scammers and make them travel long distances with the promise of big cash. There is a story of the Nigerians who thought they were getting computer equipment from a religious organizations and ended up with two dead washing machines sent to Nigeria NEXT DAY AIR COLLECT! I bet that hurt! There are some audio on Youtube about this too. Very amusing.

OahuEli, kiwijeff, Kroombit and 7 others like this.
  22. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It's sad but buying remotely is like riding a motorcycle. Instead of assuming everyone is trying to kill you on the cycle you have to assume everyone is trying to steal from you and deal accordingly. The quickest way to eliminate the scammers is ask what city they live in, tell them you know someone in the area that might be available to come and pay to get the item immediately, you just need an address. You can't always go by the caller ID number as there are ways to fake that. Calling the number might get you in contact with someone who doesn't even know their number is being used or it might be a number that nobody is using.

46international likes this.
  23. If they don't have a PAY PAL ACCOUNT it's usually because they have already scammed someone else and pay pal banned them.

That might not always be the case but if the person doesn't use paypal I don't do business with them.

Always make sure when you post a wanted ad the guy that reply's is a hamber and had been one for more than a a couple of weeks,the hamb classifieds is a excellent tool Ryan has given us but it a feeding frenzy for scammers..use common sense. HRP

24. 562roadster

562roadster

I have been getting a few of these calls from scammers. Whats happening is that they are fishing in the Wanted ads, they are looking for those posts that list a phone number. They will call you and never leave a message. But when you do answer, they have the part you are looking for and have a miraculous story behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

unclescooby and Lasallefever like this.
  25. Hey, thanks for posting. Everyone screws up but at least you had the courage to talk about it. By doing so you saved a few from making the same mistake.

kiwijeff, pitman, Rattleon and 6 others like this.
  26. Hot damn! CSI-Ma Bell
    Remind me to never piss you off.:);)

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is the 3rd post about a scammer with a fake Bay Area address. wonder how many more people he got who felt too stupid after to make a post? moneygram = no deal.... stories about PayPal... no deal ... no photos ?? no deal.

28. Yep!
    Paypal or cash. If it's a big ticket item, bank transfer.

BigDogSS likes this.
  29. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I had the same thing happen and almost sent $350 for some '32 Wishbones I was looking for in the wanted ads, this scammer even went to effort of send me several pictures of the parts I was looking for and a phone number, but the money-gram request was my red flag, I only use paypal.

30. Bob, so do I. I usually have to go thru a lot of scammers before it sell though. They need their balls cut off!!!.Bruce.

slack and 6-bangertim like this.