Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 corvette suggestion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Oh man just drive it and enjoy it. Beautiful car with lots of memories.

els, Paul B, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Exactly right.

els and loudbang like this.
  3. Stock dual fours with a matching cam, 4 speed, drive the snot out of it and think of your Dad every gear change.

els, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  4. Now that I think about it the TPI didn't go in till the 90's there was a blown 383 sbc before that.

els, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  5. Mark Yac,
    Yes sir, Dad would wind it high in 2nd gear and go into 3rd right before the 1/4 mile finish line. He bought his Harbor Blue Bel Air Convertible new from Kirsch Chevrolet (where he worked) in Bala Cynwyd, PA, and raced stock class on the weekends. A good friend named Steve Powell kept the carbs in tune, and I also know that his 283 had a polished crankshaft and the 3 speed od transmission housed Corvette gears .

scotty t- sorry for the thread-steal... can't wait to see what you do with your '57!

6. Oh, and period-correct kidney wheels would look GREAT as well :D

els likes this.
  7. i don't believe it was ever raced, on a track, but it's always been a working/family mans hot rod. i believe it should stay way. i appreciate the reply's, most people have the same thoughts as me. i'll probably go with a small journal 327 and dual quads. but i would love to hear any and all suggestions.

els, enloe, upspirate and 1 other person like this.
  8. keep the stories coming! post your own pics if you have any.

els, enloe and loudbang like this.
  9. 6000, maybe

els, Wes Rager and loudbang like this.
  10. On the Corvette, Re-paint, bumpers, keep the hood closed., drive it. Stay away from cruise nights.
    Probably shouldn't ask here, but what does it use for fuel management?
    Reason being, I can't see pulling off a good EFI set-up , just so you can open the hood somewhere.

els, Paul B, scottyh and 1 other person like this.
  11. Latigo

Latigo

Just drive it. It was good enough for Dad.

els, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  12. i like the idea of nurf bars....hmmmm

13. the electronics are ooold, not even sure what brand, there have been a couple of issues the might be because of that.

14. scottyh

scottyh
    from Spokane WA

Since its already injected I'd keep it that way. While not a popular choice with traditionalists I'd toss a 5.3 or LS 5.7 in. Great power with all the benefits of modern technology.

Sent from my SM-G928V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  15. oh by the way, i DO know how to properly use an old corvette. LOL. here's my old 60. 007.JPG

Baron, els, swade41 and 6 others like this.
  16. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

don't paint it drive it and enjoy it 004.JPG

els, T-roaster, traffic61 and 4 others like this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Congrats man, early corvettes are wonderful cars. I shudder every time I see one of them "Resto modded" . I went early 60's mild custom with my 61. (Gotta spot those doors in someday). 58 buck grille, xtra tail lights, and a man a fre solid cammed small block with a 4 speed. Have fun with yours whatever you decide[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clemsoncrewman, brad2v, els and 10 others like this.
  18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Scotty I believe your car looks great the way it is. I believe your dad had a good eye for how they should look. Like Moriarty I cringe every time I see a restomod. I understand the concept but I am old school. A friend in my car club just completed a 57 black with silver coves with a dual quad 409. We had it in our club display at Autorama this year and it was fun to see people do a double take with the car-took a first in class. Before I hear how heavy they are he went with aluminum heads which certainly helps lessen the weight. He will probably have it at this morning’s club breakfast as he drives the heck out of it. Sounds really great when I hear him in the neighborhood.

My black 62 has a 327/365 that I really enjoy. They wind pretty high and when you want to go for a drive they certainly put a smile on your face. I have owned a good number of small blocks and that engine is about as good as they come.

If you were leaning towards a 283 block it would not be hard to convince me to go the 301 route. Not sure if I would use a stock dual quad manifold. I may lean towards a newer one that may breathe a bit better and grind off the new script. Hard to beat a dual quad old Vette IMO.

In regards to the bumpers I am not sure I would pursue that angle. They are quite pricey and they really do not help all that much. The only time the bumpers on my 62 were tested was when a shipper slowly backed it into a fence post and kinked the bumper and cracked the body. Your car looks really good as it sits-I am not sure bumpers would make or break the look.

As to 671 that would certainly have the look. There are probably old hoods out there. I have a habit of collecting 58-62 hoods that I buy with scoops etc when the price is right. 57s may be a bit harder to find but they are probably out there in “tough” shape if you have some fiberglass skills.

I think you have to figure out what your passion is with the car looks and performance wise but still keeping your dad in mind. Whatever since I am a shiny paint guy I would paint the car same look and put in an engine that stokes your passion and go have fun. Good luck.

nxpress62, els, Torkwrench and 6 others like this.
  19. catdad49

catdad49

Just a Great car, enjoy it like your Dad did. Keep us posted, Carp

20. oldolds

oldolds

Change the motor if you want to. I would not repaint the car. I always liked the looks of a well worn Corvette. Too many are painted for no reason other than "It's a "vette so it's gotta be perfect". Then it sits in the garage.

els and scotty t like this.
  21. I did a small asthetic make over a couple years ago, Dad was pushing for a repaint and I knew that wasn't the time for it so I pulled the polished centerlines with spinners and the rest of the 80's cliche's. The car was a real gow job. Jim Dillon I've liked your cars and stories for some time both here and the Corvette forum. I really like the look your avatar car.

els, loudbang, enloe and 2 others like this.
  22. Mark I really like your vette and your 61,40,55, other 55, little 57, lawn mower, wax can collection, etc! Want to adopt a 50 year old?

brad2v, els, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  23. slowmotion

slowmotion

I would have no problem rockin' that little gem just the way it sits! Right stance, right wheels, right color combination... As appearance go's, it's got it! The OT injection and OD stick (or OD auto for that matter) are something others disguise all the time here for various reasons. Besides, can't see it from here!:D
    [​IMG]
    Even with the resources you have, I be tempted to leave it as is, as a tip of the hat to your dad. Save the goodies for another project. :D

Baron, els, Paul B and 3 others like this.
  24. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bumpers back on and drive it. If you have a son, or daughter, let that person inherit a royal piece of family history.

25. I have to agree wit the rest, just drive it as-is and have fun. Keep the hood closed and nobody willknow the difference. Think of Dad when you go out driving. If the TPI or electronics give trouble, or the 350 has issues; then go with your 327 dual quads plan. If you want more power the 6-71 would be cool. Then don't run any hood! Regardless of the way you end up, that is a nice car and will be in family good hands for many more years.

Unless you are really trying to go for drag racing performance, the 3.36 gears are fine for a nice freeway cruising with a 1:1 top gear 4-speed. I know you currently have the OD 3-speed. JUst depends on what you want the final result to be. Nice driver with good performance vs more drag race oriented and hogh performance. Either way you can't really lose.

26. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Don't cut the hood and put a supercharger sticking thru the hood, that ruins the whole line of the car. If you want a supercharger put one that fits below the hood line. 57 Corvette is one of the all time best looking cars.

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

lcfman has it right. A blower through the hood is the last I'd do to it. Why ruin a piece of art?

Gary

els likes this.
  28. Unless the paint s really butched I would just wax it for now.

Engine wise why not keep it simple, with a small cam change and factory 2x4 it would be tits. Easy change over and loose the damned HEI, get an early dual point or early single and convert it if you must run electronic. Don't tell anyone its a 350 they'll never know the difference.

By the way I like the stance and while the wheels may not be what everyone wants they look fine. Bumperets are optional as far as I'm concerned. ;)

brad2v, els, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  29. Okay, so I wanted to make sure that the info I shared earlier was correct, so I called my folks this afternoon (been a while anyway, so it was good to get some talk time).

Turns out that 10,000 was not accurate, however, Dad did say that sweet spot was 7500 rpm for shifting and that 8000 was within the safety margins. When he started racing the Bel Air, he got out of first, then kept it in 2nd through the quarter mile. that worked well enough, but one day he decided to try 3rd and got a "Wonderful kick in the pants"- and decided to go into 3rd from then on :D Also, the crank was not polished, but was fully machined and balanced from the factory.

I apologize for any confusion or ruffling of feathers, and Dad promised that he'd try to dig up some pics of the car to share.

els and scotty t like this.