Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 corvette suggestion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Aug 7, 2017.

1. IMG_4760.JPG I've recently "inherited" Dads 57 vette. It's a cool old car, but it needs some direction, it currently has an 80's TPI 350, O/D 4spd and a 3.36 posi. It has a nice black pleated vinyl interior, needs paint and is missing the bumperettes. It runs and drives nice. I would appreciate some ideas on what direction to take this project. I've got several engine options including factory dual quads and a 671! A Muncie and a couple rear gear choices. Please don't suggest a fake gasser or even worse a full restoration.

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I like the way it looks right now. As far as engine a 283 with the dual quads would be my choice, with a mild solid lifter cam it would be fun, coupled with 3,70 to 4.11 gears you could have a ball.

Pat

els, Early Ironman, traffic61 and 8 others like this.
  3. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Looks pretty good to me just the way it is now.

4. noboD

noboD

AMEN.

5. The paint looks a LOT better in the pic than it really does. I grew up with this car, it's been black and silver since the mid 80's I love the color but since it needs paint now is the time to consider a change. The motor has been in since it was the newest and coolest (80's) looks nice and runs good but it's time for a change

mike in tucson and loudbang like this.
  6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

It looks Great, you could send it to me anytime! It could be less engine and trans too! Have fun with it! Gary:)

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. Put a carb on it and drive. Don't screw it up. Dad left you a great car just enjoy it. I'd put the bumpers on in case somebody gets careless.

koolkemp and loudbang like this.
  8. Here it is in about 1970 or so. I'm the little guy with my arm on it( claiming it)
    IMG_0109.JPG

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The only thing I'd do to that car is drive it. For an older Vette, it's perfect.

10. The 283 is a natural high-winder- Dad regularly had his 270hp dual quad up to 7500rpm when he raced stock class, so that would be my choice :D

(edited)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    golferforpar, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  11. Here it is in1962 when Dad bought it. 270hp 3spd open rear

IMG_1133.JPG

12. Love it!
    Since you asked..install bumpers, repaint same colors, dual quads or three deuce set up.

13. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

if it were mine i'd just enjoy it as is. and keep an eye open for the bumpers. maybe yer dad tossed them into a box somewhere. besides the bumpers didn't offer any real protection anyway. i did the same thing to the '56 i had. thats one car i shudda kept. but that was back in 1974.

mike in tucson, slv63 and loudbang like this.
  14. I would leave this car just like it is except for the drivetrain! I would change the TPI for dual carbs, maybe change the tranny, and put at least 3.73 posi in the rear. I wouldn't paint it, or change the interior. Maybe put the bumpers back on, maybe.... Or build nurf bars.

tractorguy, rod1, scotty t and 2 others like this.
  15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I'm 76 and had a 59 in college that I hot rodded with American Magnesium wheels and 270 hp. I think you are a lucky man to have this car. As you know they command big bucks restored, but then you wouldn't be here on the HAMB if that was your plan. Play with the motor but don't mess with the body in case someday you need some big dollars for something. Save all original parts as they are gold.
    Lynn 32 1983 2.jpg

LOU WELLS, Baron, brad2v and 9 others like this.
  16. When I was in high school it had a 365hp 327 with dual wcfb's I keep thinking about going back to that. I've got the major components for that mill

17. I had a 60 that looked like a twin to your car

loudbang likes this.
  18. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Carb it up and drive it! There is a local guy who inherited his fathers 40 Ford Coupe that was done in the 60's....is it perfect? No, but a timeless tribute to his Father.
    Cannot think of a better reason to leave it mostly as is.

19. squirrel

squirrel

327 of some sort....dual quads, 6-71, all kinds of possibilities. And a four speed manual.

brad2v, 4oldfords, 6inarow and 7 others like this.
  20. Have you been looking at my parts stash?

enloe and loudbang like this.
  21. Yep, Um hmm:eek:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    slowmotion, loudbang and Max Gearhead like this.
  22. cometman98006

cometman98006

I think it looks great, if the paint needs work do it and put the bumpers back on. Whatever engine you decide on it will make that little car go and a warmed over 327 would be my choice. Drive it and enjoy it.

loudbang likes this.
  23. 56 my V2.jpg I would go for a mid-sixties style. Solid lifter cam in a 327, Muncie 4-speed, lowered stance, roll & pleat interior, Traction Masters. No, wait, don't do that. It would be too much like my car.

LOU WELLS, dan c, Baron and 8 others like this.
  24. I've got a small journal 327 and 2.02/1.50 screw in studs with guide plate 461 heads, a Set of factory vette dual quads, various 350 rebuilders a 671 with a sbc intake, numerous alum intakes and carbs, have access to a 427. A small pile of close ratio muncies. Etc etc etc

25. I like the little flares!

Baron and loudbang like this.
  26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would use the factory 2x4 carbs only with the correct vette intake. If you use the blower, use correct blower carbs. It would be hard for me to put a hole in the hood for the 671.

tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had a lot of vettes and I'd leave it the hell alone and have fun with it. I love it! Leave the hood closed at shows. Duntov would be proud.

Trade you a nice convertible 62 nova...just sayin

wraymen, slowmotion, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  28. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

anyone else think value would be affected if went with 283 dual 4's.
    I doubt would run any better then it does now, value might go up a bit *shrug*
    Awesome car.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  29. Value is no concern. also there is very little left that would be considered original. Even the front clip has been changed out with a one piece reproduction, no bonding strips. The wcfb's are on the correct intake plus I have the correct distributor. All the missing chrome has been missing since the 60's.

swade41, enloe and loudbang like this.
  30. The last time it had a blower we found a hood that had already been cut. They were fairly cheap then!

els, enloe and loudbang like this.